Transport a fire arm interstate ??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Transport a fire arm interstate ???

gunsnfish
08-14-2011, 17:44
I ask this because I am confused every one gives conflicting info.I am obtaining a Utah permit which gives me concealed carry permission in 30 states. However I reside in the 5 boros of NYC and only have a premise license for my home. M question is may I transport my fire arm out of the city and threw neighboring sates like NJ. Without breaking any state or administrative laws. I would carry the weapon unloaded in locked box with trigger lock in place in rear of car. Loaded mags in separate locked case.??

MAGlock
08-14-2011, 18:31
You are good to go as long as you are traveling through NJ and only stop for food, gas and overnight. This would apply for any state you are not legal to carry in.

gunsnfish
08-14-2011, 21:14
You are good to go as long as you are traveling through NJ and only stop for food, gas and overnight. This would apply for any state you are not legal to carry in.

This is good news some one told me the federal gov protects this rite but the state would take your license for transporting the weapon !!

Ship A'Hoy
08-15-2011, 05:02
TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > 926A
926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered. FOPA also seems to provide for necessary stops, like gasoline and rest.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest.