help with old 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help with old 1911

majette
08-14-2011, 20:17
got a chance to shoot this today. serial number on the frame shows it is from 1913, it is 259XX.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5806/19131911.jpg

the slide has a small gouge in it, right where the pony is (in the center of the slide, not at the rear), only major ding on the whole gun. on the top rear of the slide just in front of the rear sight is a P and on the barrel there is a 5. no markings on the right side of the slide. the small mark above the mag release looks like a M or W inside a C or O. flat, smooth mainspring housing with lanyard loop. grips are mismatched; the left has the colt logo, right is newer plastic. magazine is not original. any info is appreciated, thanks!

Jim Watson
08-14-2011, 20:46
I am not a collector or expert but from Coolgunsite.com...

where the pony is (in the center of the slide, not at the rear),

As you may know, this is a sign that the slide is newer than the frame, they went to the centered horsie in 1918.

no markings on the right side of the slide

That puts it out to 1911A1 production, near or during WW II.

The slide stop looks like a 1911A1, too.

I think it has been reblued. Maybe Parkerized in military overhaul, then blued after it was surplused.

majette
08-14-2011, 20:57
I am not a collector or expert but from Coolgunsite.com...

As you may know, this is a sign that the slide is newer than the frame, they went to the centered horsie in 1918.

That puts it out to 1911A1 production, near or during WW II.

The slide stop looks like a 1911A1, too.

I think it has been reblued. Maybe Parkerized in military overhaul, then blued after it was surplused.

thanks for the info. if the slide is newer whoever matched it up did a great job as it is smooth and tight barrel lockup with no rattles or play. being mismatched, unless it was overhauled and put together as it sits today, makes me feel good about possibly modifiying it down the road.

CMG
08-15-2011, 04:48
Along with the pony at the rear, the front bevel cuts on early model slides were also different:

Colt USGI 1911 from 1914:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/CUSGI1911.jpg

MajorD
08-16-2011, 22:55
any irreversible modifications (modify frame for beavertail, front strap checker etc) should not be done on such a historical arm. even a refinished old classic still retians some of it's character as an old classic. If you want to parts swap that does not require mods to the frame (be dam sure to save the original parts) I guess would be ok. If it were me I'd replace the old springs and shoot it once in a while. Get a new made gun for tricking out. Those U.S. Property marked frames are near impossible to find anymore, reblued or otherwise

jrs93accord
08-17-2011, 01:52
Right off the bat, the grips should be double diamond checkered walnut. That would be correct for a USGI 1913 Colt 1911. The slide looks like it is from a USGI 1918 Colt 1911.

B.Reid
08-17-2011, 08:30
any irreversible modifications (modify frame for beavertail, front strap checker etc) should not be done on such a historical arm. even a refinished old classic still retians some of it's character as an old classic. If you want to parts swap that does not require mods to the frame (be dam sure to save the original parts) I guess would be ok. If it were me I'd replace the old springs and shoot it once in a while. Get a new made gun for tricking out. Those U.S. Property marked frames are near impossible to find anymore, reblued or otherwise

I concur, there are better guns for modifying.

majette
08-17-2011, 20:06
i will do non destructive mods to the frame, drop in beavertail, no checkering as i like the pachmayr wrap around grips. original parts will be kept. i will put different sights on the slide and go for a refinish down the road. it is a shooter, not a collectible so i will make it more personalized to my tastes.