Loving my RIA! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loving my RIA!

bear72
08-15-2011, 14:48
So, after firing my friends RIA 1911 compact and recently obtaining my CCL, I bought one. My Glock 21 was to bulky for carry, so...with great inner conflict I traded my 14yr old Glock straight across for a new RIA 1911 compact at my local gunshop, and wow. This pistol is worth a closet full of Glocks! Ive put about 200 rounds through it without a single malfunction, it is suprisingly accurate for a compact pistol with small GI sights, it feels wonderful in my hands and am now in love with the 1911 design. I want a full-size badly now (going to try and save for a Wilson...maybe by christmas...of 2014,lol). I will never carry anything but a 1911 again, what a value, I cant beleive this is a $435 pistol, I would expect to pay twice that much for a pistol like this. I ordered black double diamond grips I think will give it a better look. I hope this pic isnt to small.

cowboywannabe
08-15-2011, 14:50
they are one of the best gun to dollar ratios out there.

jrs93accord
08-15-2011, 15:02
So, after firing my friends RIA 1911 compact and recently obtaining my CCL, I bought one. My Glock 21 was to bulky for carry, so...with great inner conflict I traded my 14yr old Glock straight across for a new RIA 1911 compact at my local gunshop, and wow. This pistol is worth a closet full of Glocks! Ive put about 200 rounds through it without a single malfunction, it is suprisingly accurate for a compact pistol with small GI sights, it feels wonderful in my hands and am now in love with the 1911 design. I want a full-size badly now (going to try and save for a Wilson...maybe by christmas...of 2014,lol). I will never carry anything but a 1911 again, what a value, I cant beleive this is a $435 pistol, I would expect to pay twice that much for a pistol like this. I ordered black double diamond grips I think will give it a better look. I hope this pic isnt to small.

I installed a set of black double diamond rubber grips on my RIA Compact Tactical.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2011A/001-4.jpg

Be careful. RIAs are habit forming.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2011/002-21.jpg

I am very glad that you are well pleased with your RIA. More and more guys are finding out that the RIA 1911s are a real diamond in the rough. :supergrin:

limbkiller
08-15-2011, 15:12
Congrats on the new RIA. I put this one on lay-away and will pick it up for my 21st birthday. :rofl: I wish. Be 56 on Sept. 5. I can still out work most of these young guys. Need a new gun as I need something new to shoot. Hope I'm as happy with mine as you are.
http://centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911-CS.aspx

bear72
08-15-2011, 15:33
Thanks guys. Very nice collection of RIA's! Thats the same grips I ordered, they look great! I hope they look the same on mine.

GeorgiaRedfish
08-15-2011, 15:44
Congrats man, I sometimes miss my old RIA compact. If I ever get a new one it will definitely be the Tactical model.

faawrenchbndr
08-15-2011, 15:46
Congrats on the RIA Bear'

Like many, I believe it's one of the greatest buys in a compact 45!

3rdgen40
08-15-2011, 16:00
Congrats ! I plan to buy one soon myself.Best bang for your buck in a 1911.I have never heard anything but good reviews about RIA's.

glock2740
08-15-2011, 16:58
Congrats! I like my Rock Islands alot.

bac1023
08-15-2011, 17:21
Very nice

I love my RIA. :)

Nakanokalronin
08-15-2011, 18:05
RIA really makes a solid 1911 that is very easy on the wallet. I used my RIA compact during the colder months for quite some time. Its now a back-up to my Ultra Carry II but I still carry it once in awhile because its just that great of a gun.

I changed out a few things but only because I wanted checkered grips, bigger sights, extended thumb safety since I ride them when I shoot and a longer trigger. I've never had a single issue with it and even though I have 1911s costing much more, I'm going to have a hard time passing on their newest full rail model.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg810/scaled.php?server=810&filename=ria1911.jpg&res=medium

bear72
08-15-2011, 20:53
Very nice Nakan', I like the custom work you did. I just ordered the black rubber double diamond grips; both for comfort and to give it the 'blacked out look' common among higher end 1911's. I havent seen the full rail model yet. One of the coolest features on mine is the bull barrel, Ive never had a handgun with one, I'm guessing it helps the gun from over-heating, but does it have the improved accuracy like it does on rifles? I'm not sure it makes that much diference in such a short barrel, also, is it heavier?, the negative with bull barrels on a rifle is weight, they make great bench rest guns but hard to carry and hunt with...I guess my question is, what are the pros/cons of the bull barrel on a compact 1911. :cool:

Nakanokalronin
08-15-2011, 22:35
Very nice Nakan', I like the custom work you did. I just ordered the black rubber double diamond grips; both for comfort and to give it the 'blacked out look' common among higher end 1911's. I havent seen the full rail model yet. One of the coolest features on mine is the bull barrel, Ive never had a handgun with one, I'm guessing it helps the gun from over-heating, but does it have the improved accuracy like it does on rifles? I'm not sure it makes that much diference in such a short barrel, also, is it heavier?, the negative with bull barrels on a rifle is weight, they make great bench rest guns but hard to carry and hunt with...I guess my question is, what are the pros/cons of the bull barrel on a compact 1911. :cool:

For the smaller 1911s, the bull barrel is there to keep muzzle flip to a minimum and ensure reliability.

bear72
08-26-2011, 22:44
For the smaller 1911s, the bull barrel is there to keep muzzle flip to a minimum and ensure reliability.

That makes sense. I can see how that would reduce muzzle flip.

Jim S.
08-28-2011, 09:39
Looks like another guy gets bit by the 1911 bug.
I wonder how many 1911's you will have in say five years or so...
Accept it...
There is nothing you can do about it!

Magus
08-28-2011, 15:39
RIA's are good stuff. Pretty underrated for what they are. Had a "GI" model in 9mm and it was great. Don't have it at this point...traded for something I wanted more. Wasn't an issue with the pistol, just preference.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy another RIA. They're well made for their level.

Ken Rainey
08-28-2011, 20:32
Yep, I have to agree...I recently acquired a CS model with the GI sights from a friend..I installed some used checkered grips I got from a gentlemen on another forum and took it to the range yesterday and ran some Winchester 230 FMJ thru it...it'll put'em in the X and 10 ring of a B-27 at 25 yds...yep, I'm impressed. Only issue was a last rd failure to extract the fired brass using the 7 rd ACT mag - empty was almost put back in the mag with a failure to lock the slide open. The factory GI styled 7rd mag and a new Colt 6 rd mag worked just fine.

denn1911
08-28-2011, 20:59
After reading all of the positive reviews on the RIA 1911's, I may have to get one. It seems like a great value for the price.

Kaybe
08-28-2011, 21:44
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have been thinking for some time of getting a RIA pistol. But not sure which one. Commader size or compact? Magazines available for the compact with no problem? I have the money, not sure which way to go now. Thanks for posting the comments about the compact, that really helps.

Damn_Yankee
08-29-2011, 13:16
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have been thinking for some time of getting a RIA pistol. But not sure which one. Commader size or compact? Magazines available for the compact with no problem? I have the money, not sure which way to go now. Thanks for posting the comments about the compact, that really helps.

I decided on the compact (officer) model. I bought a Chip McCormick mag for it. Part # 14120.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2CMC14120-1.html

Ken Rainey
08-29-2011, 17:01
Yeah, some 1911's seem to run fine with about any magazine...some don't...I prefer the ones with the dimple in the follower the way JMB designed them originally ... for the CS model, it would be a Colt 6 rd mag.

One of the mags that came with mine was an Officer's length 7rd mag with the dimpled follower, but the follower has been shortened to let the mag hold the extra rd...which defeats the benefit of the follower not rocking and will shorten the life of the spring if compressed with the extra round...sigh...no free lunches!

The ACT mag, also supplied with the pistol, is a 7 rd mag but has a longer mag body with a finger extension...the longer body is better for the spring but it also has a smooth follower...a lot of people have reported good results with them but my first use of it wasn't favorable - it was a last round issue and a follow up try for a last round performance check ran as it should...I'll keep it for a "last use" mag and may try replacing the follower with a dimpled one. Anyway, I tend to prefer the original type dimpled follower 6 rd magazines by Colt....as always, YMMV !

TacDad
08-29-2011, 21:49
I have a 5" tactical, and I'm not sure if it would work for your size gun but I threw a Cylinder&Slide sear spring, and a S&W hammer in my 5", and it brought the trigger down to a little under 4 #'s, and took out all the creep . Just letting you know that worked for me but I have taken apart 10+ 1911's so I would make sure you know what your doing first .

One gripe I have about the gun is the safety when flipped up digs into the web of your hand . I wonder if I send it back they will grind it down for me ?? I have tried a colt, and a wilson ambidextrous safety but neither fit . I love the gun, and shoot it every week .

Nakanokalronin
08-30-2011, 03:39
I have a 5" tactical, and I'm not sure if it would work for your size gun but I threw a Cylinder&Slide sear spring, and a S&W hammer in my 5", and it brought the trigger down to a little under 4 #'s, and took out all the creep . Just letting you know that worked for me but I have taken apart 10+ 1911's so I would make sure you know what your doing first .

One gripe I have about the gun is the safety when flipped up digs into the web of your hand . I wonder if I send it back they will grind it down for me ?? I have tried a colt, and a wilson ambidextrous safety but neither fit . I love the gun, and shoot it every week .

A 1911 thumb safety needs to be fit to whatever gun your putting it in. They are not drop-in parts.

bear72
08-30-2011, 19:44
Mine came with the ACT 7rd mag that has the finger extension, havent had any issues with it, but am looking for an extra mag for carry, preferably one that fits flush, any suggestions??

Nakanokalronin
08-30-2011, 20:23
Mine came with the ACT 7rd mag that has the finger extension, havent had any issues with it, but am looking for an extra mag for carry, preferably one that fits flush, any suggestions??

Kimpro Tac mags are the type I choose for my RIA Compact and Kimber UCII. They come with base pads but they can be left off for a flush fit. Its the magazine seen in the picture from my earlier post.

bear72
08-30-2011, 20:39
Kimpro Tac mags are the type I choose for me RIA Compact and Kimber UCII. They come with base pads but they can be left off for a flush fit. Its the magazine seen in the picture from my earlier post.

Thanks Nakan, I priced them and it looks like the compact kimber Kimpro tac mags are between 20-29$ on most sites. looks like thats the mag ill be ordering.