Saving the brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Saving the brass

purrrfect 10
08-15-2011, 15:43
OK so I don't go to a shooting range because I have my own land and I'm working on an awesome shooting range. As it is now, i have been laying down a queen size sheet and so far it is working OK to catch all my brass for reloading. It is a pain to try to find it in the grass.
Anyone else have their own place to shoot beside a range? How do you catch your brass? Any Ideas that might help?

themighty9mm
08-15-2011, 15:50
tarp or a sheet is about the best I have heard for your own range. For me I have to go to public ranges. Gotta bend over, and pick it up. Best method I have found. The brass catchers, seem to be a pain to haul and set up

michael e
08-15-2011, 15:55
At my grandfathers I use a huge tarp, shot a few rounds and see if I need to step forward or to the side to chatch it. When I am done pick it all up. It catches about 95% of it, if windy make sure to steak the corners down.

polizei1
08-15-2011, 17:18
I would use a brass mat. They have handles and are weighed on the corners, and they catch the brass really well. My local club uses them for matches. After you're done you can just pick it up with the brass in it and dump it in the a bucket or whatever.

http://www.reddotshooting.com/ced-brassmat.aspx

teweekley
08-15-2011, 17:30
I used to use a tarp. When I started pouring money into my own range, I built a gravel area to make finding the brass easier. Nickel plated is still a pain though.

PhantomF4E
08-15-2011, 17:33
I hire one of those guys at the Home Depot parking lot , It's fun to watch them try to catch the brass before it hits the ground ;-)

purrrfect 10
08-15-2011, 18:05
I hire one of those guys at the Home Depot parking lot , It's fun to watch them try to catch the brass before it hits the ground ;-)

Before it hits the ground? guessing it would be funnier seeing them catching a hot 10mm round.
Thanks for the input Sheet tarp it will be for now.

Brucev
08-15-2011, 18:13
Go to a hardware store. Look for and buy one of the gizmoe's that are used to pick up pecans. I have one. I bought it for (of course) picking up pecans. Then one afternoon I tried it on brass casings that spilled behind the car. Works great. Saves a lot of hard work. Also... take a gas powered weed-eater and use it to cut the grass down low in the area where your brass normally lands. makes its much easier to find the empty brass when your finished shooting.

Zombie Steve
08-16-2011, 08:58
Shoot revolvers.

:whistling:

El_Ron1
08-16-2011, 10:19
Shoot revolvers.

A good trainer will beat your sissy hands for catching your brass on the line.

Zombie Steve
08-16-2011, 10:21
I don't shoot where there's a line, but point taken. I like picking up mags a la Tex Grebner, though...

And I don't have sissy hands. You must be thinking of Trout.

unclebob
08-16-2011, 10:39
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=tarps
A lot cheaper the the brass magnet.

The mesh tarps work the best. You donít even have to weight or stake the corners down. At least I have not had to in the last two years that I have been using them. The wind just blows through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1rfEZv_5Uo
This looks like it would be easy enough to make out of PVC and nylon window screen.

ron59
08-16-2011, 11:29
The mesh tarps work the best. You donít even have to weight or stake the corners down. At least I have not had to in the last two years that I have been using them. The wind just blows through.

Interesting. Never thought of that. I don't shoot outdoors that much (for practice), but will be over the next few weeks.

purrrfect 10
08-16-2011, 15:59
Shoot revolvers.

NOT... A Glock revolver I have not seen yet...Get a life I have a S&W 357 magnum does not even come close to the awesome G20 10mm i just bought, Sorry the old wheel is history for me. :tongueout:

PCJim
08-16-2011, 20:44
NOT... A Glock revolver I have not seen yet...Get a life I have a S&W 357 magnum does not even come close to the awesome G20 10mm i just bought, Sorry the old wheel is history for me. :tongueout:

Easy there, pardner. He's probably forgotten more "life" than you've acquired. While the ol' wheel gun may seem outdated, it definitely still retains an edge in certain situations. And the point being made was spot on. :cool:

purrrfect 10
08-17-2011, 20:30
Easy there, pardner. He's probably forgotten more "life" than you've acquired. While the ol' wheel gun may seem outdated, it definitely still retains an edge in certain situations. And the point being made was spot on. :cool:
My thread was asking for suggestion picking up brass. I have been an Ole wheel gun most of my short and sheltered life. Taking a step forward i bought my G20 No comparison to the Ole Wheeled one. The ole Wheeled one is a rare breed worth more than two or three G20's fact and one that will stay with me and one day it will be handed down to my son.

You are right this wheel gun did have its time and place. mine will now stay in the wooden frame silk lined glass topped box it came in. I know of no advantages that will be missed or for that matter any advantages of a similar caliber that could possible out perform this G20.

Please excuse my comment. Was perhaps feeling a little sarcasm with the comment shoot a revolver. there is no reason i can think of why I would take a step backwards