Question about squib! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about squib!

Kwesi
08-15-2011, 17:01
Was shooting a few nights ago and had gone thru about 100 rounds of 10mm. I was firing my CA89-10 in full auto (in case the gun matters, I doubt it). I was going to do one more mag when the bolt would not close. When I got home I decided to measure the OAL of the rounds in the final mag thinking maybe they were the cause. To my surprise this is what I found:

1.224, 1.228, 1.242, 1.251,1.260, 1.261,,1.261,1.262, 1.265 ( My Redding sizing die may have gotten loose; it's tight now )

The rounds over 1.260 and under 1.240 were the surprise. I got home and started to check all my loaded rounds and found some that were over 1.260 so I reseated them to 1.255. I loaded those but still the bolt would not close.

When I take her apart I find a squib! The bullet (180 FMJ ) was fortunately NOT in the barrel! It was right where it would be when chambered.

I examined all the brass and found two cases that had vertical splits. I was very fortunate that the last round of the prior mag was the squib.

I look into every case for powder drop so I am very concerned how this occured. Any way for this to occur with the proper powder level?

Help!

PhantomF4E
08-15-2011, 17:42
I guess that is why I'm anal about my reloads. I mic every round before it goes in the box for storage. I don't know why after 30+ years of reloading I still treat it like brain surgery. Guess it's all about the precision. That engineer thing I guess. Over design, over build , over test.......... Yeah I can hear the flatlander jokes a comin'
Just a thought if you had a round with a big enough vertical split a good portion of the expanding gas may have escaped and not allowed enough pressure to force the projectile in to the barrel. Did you recover any of the spent brass ?

Kwesi
08-15-2011, 17:50
I guess that is why I'm anal about my reloads. I mic every round before it goes in the box for storage. I don't know why after 30+ years of reloading I still treat it like brain surgery. Guess it's all about the precision. That engineer thing I guess. Over design, over build , over test.......... Yeah I can hear the flatlander jokes a comin'
Just a thought if you had a round with a big enough vertical split a good portion of the expanding gas may have escaped and not allowed enough pressure to force the projectile in to the barrel. Did you recover any of the spent brass ?

I hear ya! I was wondering if the vertical split ( 3/4" ) would allow the gas to escape. I have a brass catcher on this gun so I have all the brass.

Three-Five-Seven
08-15-2011, 18:43
Your wife came in the loading room and interrupted you at some point.

Zombie Steve
08-16-2011, 08:56
Just start getting in the habit of checking the OAL of every 10th round you make. Glad you didn't blow'd yerself up.

Kwesi
08-16-2011, 09:38
Just start getting in the habit of checking the OAL of every 10th round you make. Glad you didn't blow'd yerself up.

Is it the opinion of the board that a squib is only caused by either NO powder of very little powder? You probably hear this all the time but I really do pay attention and look into every case for powder.

Some time ago, prior to when these were loaded, I purchased the Press Monitor to avoid this situation.

Zombie Steve
08-16-2011, 10:01
Generally, it's no powder. The primer is strong enough to get the bullet started down the barrel, but not enough to get it out.

It could be very little powder, or somehow contaminated.

PCJim
08-16-2011, 15:53
Some time ago, prior to when these were loaded, I purchased the Press Monitor to avoid this situation.

When it comes to checking the powder, I rely upon my eyes. This past weekend, I purchased and rigged a flexible shaft LED light from HF just for this specific purpose - to better see the powder charge in the .223 case.

I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on an electronic monitor, but that's just me..

Steve Koski
08-16-2011, 18:09
Kwesi,

Several things are going on:

1) You loaded a round without any powder. You might think you checked every case, but you didn't.

2a) You may be using brass that came from the FBI, fired in their oversize chabered weapon. This causes vertical case splits in some of the cases. Sometimes the case won't split, but it will split when you size it the next time. So, even if you inspect the cases and toss the splitters, you get a few splitters on the next sizing. If the brass survives this next sizing, it'll probably last forever if you fire it in normal size chambers.

This is REALLY obvious when you're working the press, it's like sizing a sized case, almost no resistance.

2b) the oversized chamber in your weapon is leading to the split cases. They are splitting when you fire.

3) Something is goofy with your seating die walking on you. I'm not sure what the problem is, but there is some problem that needs to be identified and corrected.

Take care,

Koski

Kwesi
08-17-2011, 08:34
When it comes to checking the powder, I rely upon my eyes. This past weekend, I purchased and rigged a flexible shaft LED light from HF just for this specific purpose - to better see the powder charge in the .223 case.

I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on an electronic monitor, but that's just me..

Jim: The Press Monitor is my "back up" as I will still look into EVERY case. Didn't mean to suggest it was the end all.

Kwesi
08-17-2011, 08:37
Kwesi,

Several things are going on:

1) You loaded a round without any powder. You might think you checked every case, but you didn't.

2a) You may be using brass that came from the FBI, fired in their oversize chabered weapon. This causes vertical case splits in some of the cases. Sometimes the case won't split, but it will split when you size it the next time. So, even if you inspect the cases and toss the splitters, you get a few splitters on the next sizing. If the brass survives this next sizing, it'll probably last forever if you fire it in normal size chambers.

This is REALLY obvious when you're working the press, it's like sizing a sized case, almost no resistance.

2b) the oversized chamber in your weapon is leading to the split cases. They are splitting when you fire.

3) Something is goofy with your seating die walking on you. I'm not sure what the problem is, but there is some problem that needs to be identified and corrected.

Take care,

Koski

Koski:

1. I guess you are right on missing the powder.
2. all my brass was either purchased new from Starline or is Starline that Double Tap factory was loaded in. No FBI stuff
3. I suspect the chamber in my MP5-10mm Clone has a oversized chamber
4. My gusess is that I did not have the resizing die locked - it is now!