Installed an SSD, what a difference! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installed an SSD, what a difference!

srhoades
08-15-2011, 20:33
Newegg had a Kingston v+100 96GB SSD drive on sale for $119 and with a Kingston rebate it brought it down to $90 so I took the plunge.

My mediocre emachines laptop would take a minute to be usable from the time I pushed the power button. The SSD shaved 20 seconds off that, and most programs snap right open.

The death of the mechanical hard drive is at hand.

Pierre!
08-15-2011, 21:08
Well, when they start doing 1Tb SSD... THEN it will be the death of the mechanical HD...:supergrin:

Till then...

They be spinnin, they be spinnin...

But at least we can start em up much faster with an SSD!

I remember when you could brew a pot of coffee faster than the computer would boot!

Yah, they used to give me coffee and donuts or cookies... :cool:

It was back when you could make more than 20% or more on the sale of a computer component...

But I digress... :rofl:

Congrats on your new purchase! I am just a little jealous...

IndyGunFreak
08-15-2011, 21:12
The death of the mechanical hard drive is at hand.

Eventually, but not yet. Cost needs to come down, and Reliability needs to improve. They are faster, but to me, not "that much".. faster. Is there a difference, of course. It wasn't so dramatic that I had to run out and buy SSD's though. (that's just my opinion)...

IGF

filthy infidel
08-19-2011, 14:19
We have enterprise level storage on SSDs at work- cute little adapters that step down the 3.5" drives below the 10Krpm 3.0" drives to the lilliputian 250GB 6GBPS SSDs..... expen$ive little buggers.

blastfact
08-25-2011, 17:57
SSD's are nice. But there going to have to get a lot cheaper before I give up my Raptors.

srhoades
08-25-2011, 22:45
SSD's are nice. But there going to have to get a lot cheaper before I give up my Raptors.

Raptors aren't exactly affordable.

JimmyN
08-26-2011, 04:21
Technology is advancing faster all the time, it's amazing how much computers have improved over the last two decades. I can remember back to the time of the first IBM PC, before hard drives and directories. A time of green screens and 128K of RAM. A time when IBM said there would never be a need for a color computer monitor.

Then the 286's, 386's, and so on. A time when PC's were so slow you could actually read the POST information as it scrolled up the screen. Now, just like some error messages it's just a flash and it's gone, and you mumble to yourself "What did that error message say?"