Noob grip question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Noob grip question

ddss33
08-16-2011, 08:57
Hey all, noob to 1911's and had a quick grip question. I am replacing the grips on my Ruger SR1911 with some stag grips I bought.

Is it just a matter of unscrewing the 4 grip screws and changing out the grips and re-installing the screws or do I need to change the bushings as well?

fnfalman
08-16-2011, 09:05
If the replacement is a standard grip, then all you need to do is unscrew the screws. If it's a slim grip, then you'd need shorter grip bushings.

ddss33
08-16-2011, 09:25
Not sure if the new grips are slim as they are handmade (didn't come with packaging saying "slim"). If the screws bottom out on the bushing and the grips aren't tight I guess I will know. Thanks!

El_Ron1
08-16-2011, 09:26
Not many "slim" stag grips out there.

ddss33
08-16-2011, 09:29
Not many "slim" stag grips out there.

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case.

I've ready horror stories about stripping out bushings when changing grips, etc, so I was a little nervous about it.

El_Ron1
08-16-2011, 09:34
If a bushing backs out on you, it's no big deal. Sometimes you can reuse them if they don't get mangled when you remove them from the screw.

Loctite or stake the replacements, bushings and screws are widely available if needed. Hexheads are handier if you are going to remove or change grips very often.

Use the right size screwdriver to prevent messing the slot up. :beer:

ddss33
08-16-2011, 09:40
If a bushing backs out on you, it's no big deal. Sometimes you can reuse them if they don't get mangled when you remove them from the screw.

Loctite or stake the replacements, bushings and screws are widely available if needed. Hexheads are handier if you are going to remove or change grips very often.

Use the right size screwdriver to prevent messing the slot up. :beer:

Thank you! :beer: