22" factory barrel vs. 18" bull barrel (10/22s) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 22" factory barrel vs. 18" bull barrel (10/22s)

geofri
08-16-2011, 10:27
I've got two 10/22s, and can only afford to keep one currently.

I like shooting the 10/22 with 18" Adams and Bennett bull barrel at the range, with the super reduced recoil, but wouldn't want to lug it around hunting. (also have the 18" original barrel)

Other 10/22 is stailness, with 22" barrel and totally stock.

For an all around hunting,range, zombie-head-shot gun, which would you choose?

I've got a cheap, but halway decent scope, and bipod that can be switched to either gun.

So, 18" bull, 22" factory, or 18" factory. :dunno:

Any huge difference in accuracy at 100yards or less?

rcbif
08-16-2011, 12:32
your the one with the guns, you tell us :supergrin:

realistically though, it comes down to hunting/backpacking, or target shooting. Save a larger cal for the zombies :cool:
Pick which one you do most, and keep that rifle

or be a sensible gun owner, and find something else to sell off and keep em both :tongueout:

mac66
08-16-2011, 14:51
Geez, how much does it cost to own two 10/22s as opposed to one? :whistling::supergrin:

Personally I would keep the Stainless one and the factory barrel from the other one.

ScrappyDoo
08-16-2011, 18:07
Yeah how are you not able to afford the second one, ? Sorry i am not rich either and basically poor but I don't see how it works, not pickong on you at all.

FTRecord my 597 has the factory sporter barrel (read: normal lighter barrel) of 18" i believe, they make awesome bull barrels but I dont have one

geofri
08-16-2011, 19:34
Yeah yeah... I should have known better than to let on about reasons for selling. There is never a good reason. Honestly it's space more than finances.. Being young and in college, it's getting to the point that the guns take up more space than my other stuff and just isn't very mobile. If streamlining results in some cash, I've got bills that I can put it towards.

All that aside, it boils down to the title, is a shorter length bull still more acurate than a longer factory grade barrel? If I had a scope for each I could try, but am not confident enough to do an open sight test.

ScrappyDoo
08-16-2011, 20:02
I am no expert here but the easiest way for me to say it would be the bull barrel is better but heavier... more accurate, won't heat up AS FAST, but once hot it will take longer to cool down. If you're hunting you might not want to hump a heavy barrel (absolutely makes no difference to me and I am 5'8 145lb so I don't see how grown men that hunt for their major hobby complain about barrel weight but hwatever) ... Now 10/22s aint so great stock, they are all about the upgrade. My 597 is designed to be pretty decent stock cause their aint so much upgprade available. I'd say it depends, are you shooting from a bench? At an indoor range or outdoor? What distance etc?

Honest unless you have to just hold onto it but if you HAVE to I understand, when you need it you need it , if you get a $100 bill and you need it then get that money... Sucks tgo be hungry I know how that feels!

scorpio2011
08-16-2011, 21:41
22" barrel is a little long for a rimefire
keep the 18" bull barrel for the range switch to the 18" stock barrel for hunting!

geofri
08-17-2011, 17:08
22" barrel is a little long for a rimefire
keep the 18" bull barrel for the range switch to the 18" stock barrel for hunting!

How so?

Bill Keith
08-17-2011, 17:35
I'd keep the 18" barrel as it is more accurate... I have the same brand, 18" barrel and it is apprciably nore accurate than the stock barrel. It handles better and especially so while out hunting squirrels. The shorter barrel doesn't get hung up in the brush. It also hold steadier off hand in shooting:cool:

backbore
08-17-2011, 17:59
Short accurate barrel and it ain't that heavy.

ratf51
08-17-2011, 20:20
How so?

In general a .22 rimfire has reached its max velocity at the 16"-18" range in a barrel. Thus, you are not gaining anything performance-wise (velocity) by a longer barrel. What you do gain is a longer sight radius that oft-times equates to better accuracy, especially when using iron sights.

geofri
08-17-2011, 20:23
Thanks for the input fellas. Maybe I'll give themboth another chance. For my own peace of mind, I think maybe ill just sell the factory 18"( and stock too)just to clear out some clutter.

93GT
08-18-2011, 10:32
In general a .22 rimfire has reached its max velocity at the 16"-18" range in a barrel. Thus, you are not gaining anything performance-wise (velocity) by a longer barrel. What you do gain is a longer sight radius that oft-times equates to better accuracy, especially when using iron sights.
\
Agreed. Diminishing returns after 16" as far as velocity goes and longer barrel does not make better accuracy alone. Only real reason for 22LR over 18.5 inches on a stock 10/22 is open sights at the end of it to make sight radius longer.

wjv
08-18-2011, 17:20
"reduced recoil" and "10/22" in the same sentence????

in order of preference:
Option 1 - Keep both
Option 2 - Keep the 18/18, dump the 22

graycrait
08-18-2011, 17:49
No brainer here, been there and done that with RFC and others. Just take the shortest stock barrel you have and have Randy at CPC do the barrel and bolt of your gun. Toss the rest.

http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger10-22.html

JimBianchi
08-18-2011, 17:59
I've had 4 different 10/22s over the years, starting with one in 1982.

The aftermarket bull barrel was more accurate than the standard barrel on #3.

#4 is a bone stock gun with an 18in barrel and it is CRAZY accurate. I mean nearly MOA at 100yrds with match ammo or subsonic ammo. (I posted images here on GT of a 1.2in 100y group, with a better scope and a better rest, I believe it could do a lot better)

The other stock 10/22's were able to hit 2.5 inches at 50yds, the bullbarrel could do 1.25 at 50 and 2.5+/- at 100yds with good ammo.

But this latest 10/22 (bought new at Dicks in 2002 or 03) is just insanely accurate with the right ammo.

I say keep the most accurate one.

I did.

NM Mountainman
08-21-2011, 12:06
My recommendation: Put a decent scope on it with a parallax setting of 50 yd or and adjustable para. setting. Glass bed your current stock around the action and the first 2.5 inches of barrel. Try free floating the barrel. If testing reveals mediocre accuracy, test it with a shim under the barrel at the fore end made of a piece of rubber cut from a bicycle inner tube or some other material. IMO, most 10/22's shoot better without the barrel band on the fore end. After you find the most accurate ammo, fire 5 groups of 5 or 7 rounds each. (Or at least 3 10 shot groups.) After testing is completed, then decide whether you want to upgrade the barrel.

I tested mine this way, and I found that my accuracy with the standard weight factory 18" barrel was equal to that which many guys are getting with a GM bull barrel. Ten shot groups under 1" at 50 yds. with Velocitor and CCI standard vel., (sometimes with one flier in a 10 shot group.)

IMO, many riflemen spend a lot of money fixing up a 10/22, and often, they still don't end up with a really accurate rifle. It can become more expensive than buying your daughter a Barbie doll. But it will still be a 10/22, and it may never deliver outstanding accuracy without replacing nearly everything.

If your priority is a very accurate .22 rifle, then there are better places to start than with a 10/22. A Savage (or other brand) bolt action (or even a semi) with heavy factory barrel will often give better accuracy than a fixed up 10/22 with a smaller total investment. But whatever you like is the ultimate answer.

Decide on the accuracy level you need. The original barrel may work fine for plinking and small game hunting under 50 yd. You won't know until you bed the stock and test it. For any kind of competition, the original barrel and some trigger parts will need to be replaced. A heavy barrel often requires a new stock.

farmer-dave
08-21-2011, 12:45
The advantages of the longer barrel is sight radius if your using open sights and the longer the barrel the quieter it is. I enjoy shooting my longer barrel rimfires because it feels like I'm shooting a hunting rifle vs a carbine, and I'm often not using earplugs when hunting.