Ruger Mark Series Disasembly/Assembly Guide [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark Series Disasembly/Assembly Guide

zxracer3
08-16-2011, 13:09
This is a set of directions for the assembly/disassembly of the Ruger Mark series pistols. Rugers directions that come with the Mark series pistols are not only confusing but are not detailed enough to properly assemble/disassemble the pistol. I ask that you request my permission (zxracer3) if this will be republished elsewhere.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Disassembly Instructions
<o:p></o:p>
Step 1: Removing the mainspring housing: First insert mag (mark III only) and then pull the trigger. Use a bent paper clip to flip the mainspring housing out of the lower. Next pull on the mainspring housing to remove it as far as you can. Once the mainspring housing has been started use a wooden dowel (golf tee) & mallet to hit the remaining bolt stop pin of the mainspring housing through the gun. NOTE: you must hold the lower part of the mainspring housing outward & away from the lower part of the frame while you are hitting the mainspring housing downward, otherwise you risk damage to the lower.
Step 2: Remove Bolt: Make sure that the hammer has fully dropped into the lower and that the bolt release is not up in order to slide out the bolt. To see if the hammer dropped, visually inspect by looking through the end of the receiver. If the hammer has not dropped, insert mag (mark III only) and then pull the trigger while pulling back on the bolt, using the bolt to drop the hammer. <o:p></o:p>
Note: The bolt and upper may come off as one piece. This is fine, just slide the bolt out to remove.
Step 3: Remove Upper: LIGHTLY tap with a rubber mallet to remove being careful not to hit the rear sites.
Assembly Instructions:
Step 1: Putting upper on lower: Match the cutout in the upper to the lug on the lower and push together. Make sure the barrel & receiver are aligned by looking to see if there is a perfect circle where the bolt stop pin enters. If not, place muzzle end on a table or something, and push down on the grip if extra force is needed.
Step 2: Inserting Bolt: Make sure that the hammer has fully dropped into the lower and the bolt release is not up in order to insert the bolt. To see if the hammer dropped, visually inspect by looking through the end of the receiver. If the hammer has not dropped, insert mag (mark III only) and then pull the trigger, while placing something (your finger) into the receiver to manually push down the hammer into its horizontal position.<o:p></o:p>
Note: The bolt and upper may be installed as one piece. This is fine, just slide the bolt into the upper before inserting the upper to the receiver.
Step 3: Inserting mainspring assembly: Again make sure the hammer has fallen forward (vertical position) by looking through the mainspring housing channel. If it has not fallen forward insert mag (mark III only) and then pull the trigger, while placing something into the receiver (your finger probably won’t fit) to manually push the hammer forward (vertical position). Then be sure the hammer strut is RESTING against the lower, so that it is not in the way when you insert the mainspring housing. The bolt stop pin will often get stuck on the recoil spring, so go from the top of the hole where the mainspring housing pin is coming through & move the recoil spring out of the way with something. Then using the rubber mallet hit the mainspring the remaining way. NOTE: you must hold the lower part of the mainspring housing outward & away from the lower part of the frame while you are hitting the mainspring housing downward, otherwise you risk damage to the lower.
Step 4: Close the mainspring housing into the receiver: STOP! Before you close the latch on the mainspring housing make sure there is some resistance on the mainspring housing causing it to protrude & not fully enter the lower channel. If there is not, the hammer strut has not correctly found its way into the mainspring housing. Continue to open & close the mainspring housing until you feel resistance. At the point of resistance, close the remaining latch & you’re done.<o:p></o:p>

cciman
08-16-2011, 14:06
It is easier when you are physically looking at the gun. try Looking on Youtube.

BUT, the Mark is one of the hardest pistols to strip for cleaning-- that is the reason I personally hate shooting mine. This is typical of the pre-1990's designs. On par with dis assembling a AR15, or 1911 to clean.

Putting it back together (ie the trigger group) is just as challenging. Good luck.

Go to a Glock 9mm and never look back.

Giddyupgo55
08-17-2011, 20:28
I have a Mark 1 and a Mark 2 and both come apart and go back together real easy. Not as easy to clean as my Glocks but still easy.

GMAN12
08-18-2011, 05:27
Neighbor got a new 22/45 2 weeks ago, decided to clean it, worked on it for an hour, called me bit@#$%, I go over and try for 45min. He the reads the step about putting the mag. back in to get the mainspring to close. Apparently, the mag needs to be inserted because of the mag. disconnect. I"ve had a Mark II, 22/45 for about 3 years, but did'nt know about the mag. disconnect on the III, The neighbor is 85 years old. I don't think I have ever seen a gun that had to have the mag. inserted to reassemble, usually, thats the last thing you do.