Win 7 Home desktop screen not "updating"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Home desktop screen not "updating"?

mhunter
08-16-2011, 14:54
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and my desktop won't automatically refresh. If I download something to my desktop or drag something to the recycle bin, either the download won't show or the unwanted file remains on the desktop. Hitting F5 for a manual screen refresh cleans it up, but it's annoying. This is a brand new build and install, so it's not like I'm running an old, beat install of Windows... Anyone else notice this?

MrSmoofy
08-16-2011, 17:04
That's pretty odd, I've never come across that before.

Toyman
08-16-2011, 17:16
I found this possible fix:

1) I backed up the registry.
2) Searched for occurrences of the word refresh and found this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance
which contains three subkeys. One of them, curiously enough, is DontRefresh and it has a value of 1 (turned ON)
3) I then changed the value to 0 (turned OFF) and hit F5 to refresh and save the now changed registry.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/win-7-desktop-does-not-auto-refresh/249f4794-13c8-4fc5-939c-b3d1fe6433fb?page=2

mhunter
08-16-2011, 17:29
Thanks, Toyman. I did some Google searching on the issue and saw that "fix". However, there is NO instance of "refresh" or "dontrefresh" at all when I search the registry file.

Pierre!
08-16-2011, 20:31
Chipset and Video drivers are fresh installs? In that order?

Fresh install isn't always a *good* install...

Perhaps some burn-in testing???

I would at least use the 'SAFE MODE' memory tester to assure your ram isn't flakey, then consider the Video drivers...

Toyman
08-17-2011, 04:28
Thanks, Toyman. I did some Google searching on the issue and saw that "fix". However, there is NO instance of "refresh" or "dontrefresh" at all when I search the registry file.

I've had/got a similar issue with XP. The only thing I can think of is going through the suggestions on those forums and trying each one.

mhunter
08-17-2011, 07:16
Chipset and Video drivers are fresh installs? In that order?

Fresh install isn't always a *good* install...

Perhaps some burn-in testing???

I would at least use the 'SAFE MODE' memory tester to assure your ram isn't flakey, then consider the Video drivers...

Yup, latest drivers and motherboard BIOS. Done plenty of burn-in utilities and Memtest86+ with no errors. This computer isn't "brand new", per se... I built it at the end of June, so it has approx. two months of solid daily (and overnight) operation.