Lee Load Master Update [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee Load Master Update

humphreys19
08-16-2011, 15:57
I told you guys I would let you know how my experience with the Load Master goes.........

I ran out of .45 brass, had about half a 5 gallon bucket when I started. The case feeder works excellent with .45, the short, wide cases don't wobble as much as taller stuff like .38 and .357. The primer feed missed feeding primers about 10 times (mostly early in the process, didn't happen much later), so out of about 1000 rounds, that doesn't seem too bad. after running out of .45 brass, I switched it back to .38 special. Takes about 10 minutes to change the die turret, primer mechanism, and shell plate, and maybe another 10 minutes to adjust the case feeder.

Like I said, the case feeder works great with .45, a little less so with .38. The occasional .38 will bind or fall over as it comes out of the tube, but not too often. Still much better than having to feed cases by hand, I think. No matter what caliber, it seems to work best when operated in a smooth manner, don't try to rush it. Smooth stroke from stop to stop.

Best tip I can give anybody wanting to try a Lee progressive press: Loose the stupid pull down chain from the powder measure and replace it with the spring return as used on the turret press. Works great, no broken chains, no chain in your way.

All in all, I am very pleased with this press. The whole set-up with press, dies, and case feeder cost less than just a case feeder for some other brands, and it has been turning out very good ammo. After loading about 1000 .45's and 600 .38's, I still like it.

Happy Shooting (and reloading),
Tom

Steve Koski
08-16-2011, 18:14
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee304/SteveKoski/GP%20Pics%20A/LCleeboyznation.jpg

If the necklace bling isn't up your alley, you can use the chain in your toilet.

Koski

WiskyT
08-16-2011, 18:17
Good to know, thanks for the update.

I use a Pro1000 and prefer the pullback chain. I haven't had any problems with the chain breaking and it doesn't get in the way of my fingers on the Pro1000.

Colorado4Wheel
08-16-2011, 18:53
I used a LM for a while. Never even once had a problem with the chain. If you are having chain problems you will have other issues very soon.
Only part of the press to ever give me trouble was the priming. When it worked, it was great, when things went wrong is was horrible.

noylj
08-17-2011, 11:47
All progressive presses need to be operated smoothly and consistently.
The chain is a "safety" option that eliminates many of the possible ways to double charge a case. Personallly, whether it is Lee's chain or Dillon's rod, I hate them and use springs. The powder measures do not cycle smoothly with a chain/rod and I get more charge weight variation.

El_Ron1
08-17-2011, 14:08
UD said that was ceiling fan chain!

Aquagear
08-20-2011, 14:22
Congrats: The Loadmaster is a good press for someone on a budget who possesses decent mechanical ability. I made my priming station a little more reliable by using a spare expanding die above it, the die is set to just start expanding the case mouth which helps center he case on the priming station.
The other area to check is the arm which holds the case into the shell plate it will cause side ways or flipped primers if not adjusted right, mine seems to drift out sometimes so I keep an eye on it. Enjoy your press, some people bad mouth them because they are inexpensive. Learn to keep it adjusted and properly lubed and it will serve you well. I have had mine since 1996 and see no need to change to another press.