Ed Brown pic request [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ed Brown pic request

GJ1981
08-16-2011, 16:31
I'm close to completing a few pistol sales, and since I've been dropped on my head, I'm debating what, if anything, I will replace my empty safe slots with.

I have long thought about a Brown but every time I came close something made me change my mind. If I decide on a 1911 I am close to only picking from Baer and Wilson since they've performed the best for me, but I am considering a Brown for some reason.

So to the Ed Brown owners here I am wondering if you could be so kind as to take some photos of the mag bevel and feedramp? I saw one Brown I didn't think had the best bevel and just wondered if what I saw was normal or not. I'm just curious how deep EB cuts their feedramps too.

I had been browsing through JH's site and noticed his before and after feedramps and it got me wondering- http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Media/Services/313.jpg

If anyone could accommodate these requests it would be appreciated.

Quack
08-16-2011, 16:38
here's the only pic of the magwell. it's the one on the right and is on my KC.

I'll snap a pic of the feed ramp in a minute.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1026324018_zDDK9-O.jpg

Quack
08-16-2011, 16:55
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/i-T5ZR6kZ/0/L/i-T5ZR6kZ-L.jpg

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/i-zSLnxkh/1/L/i-zSLnxkh-L.jpg

GJ1981
08-16-2011, 17:00
Appreciate it :wavey:

Oddly, the first EB I handled looked like the pistol on the right. What you've posted it about what I expect for a bevel. Is your Brown Gen III?

Now, time to think all this over...

Quack
08-16-2011, 17:03
yep, GEN3

polizei1
08-16-2011, 17:09
Have you not heard the CS horror stories yet? Same with Baer. Just go with Harrison!

:couch:

GJ1981
08-16-2011, 17:15
Have you not heard the CS horror stories yet? Same with Baer. Just go with Harrison!

:couch:

He's not taking work last I heard, I'm getting too old to wait.

I like getting into arguments on the phone so Baer might be the better bet, that is IF it fails to work. :rofl:

Seriously, I have my price quotes; Baer, Brown, and Wilson...all close in price with my options. If I could unload my SA's I wouldn't have much of a choice to make :steamed: MAYBE I start saying nice things about them all.

FN in MT
08-17-2011, 12:26
Get a Wilson...after really spending some shooting time three of them...all CQB's, they are IMHO the best bang for the Accuracy/Quality buck there is.

I've got an EB a Kobra Carry...great gun...but it aint no Wilson.

Nothing to add ref the Baer..never spent any range time with one.

FN in MT

BigDeeeeeeee
08-17-2011, 12:48
Guncrafter.

GJ1981
08-17-2011, 13:16
Get a Wilson...after really spending some shooting time three of them...all CQB's, they are IMHO the best bang for the Accuracy/Quality buck there is.

I definitely agree with you, my CQB has been good with a few exceptions. The only problem I have is I was told Wilson raised their prices again, so the build I was considering is hitting a price where I don't think it is worth the $ honestly.

Guncrafter.

I came close to getting a GC but didn't in the end. I have thought about buying one outright but am not sure now. I know the owners seem to speak highly of them but I have my own set of expectations, I guess I'm just apprehensive buying sight unseen. I know what to expect from certain builders, and given past issues, I question changing from what I know.

Dunno, IF I even buy another 1911 it won't be right away. Just doing my homework on the choices.

rsxr22
08-17-2011, 14:25
I definitely agree with you, my CQB has been good with a few exceptions. The only problem I have is I was told Wilson raised their prices again, so the build I was considering is hitting a price where I don't think it is worth the $ honestly.

I came close to getting a GC but didn't in the end. I have thought about buying one outright but am not sure now. I know the owners seem to speak highly of them but I have my own set of expectations, I guess I'm just apprehensive buying sight unseen. I know what to expect from certain builders, and given past issues, I question changing from what I know.

Dunno, IF I even buy another 1911 it won't be right away. Just doing my homework on the choices.

To my knowledge the only pistol's wilson raised the prices on were the SG's. I just ordered 5 for customers in the past week and my rep mentioned nothing about price increases and the build/cost sheets reflected that.

rsxr22
08-17-2011, 14:26
I would also get a Wilson, if your not going to go with Harrison. Im ordering my XMAS present to myself next week!! LOL

GJ1981
08-17-2011, 14:41
To my knowledge the only pistol's wilson raised the prices on were the SG's. I just ordered 5 for customers in the past week and my rep mentioned nothing about price increases and the build/cost sheets reflected that.

Yeah I think the FFL miss-worded what they meant, who raises the price across the line in the middle of the month? I think he told me a price wrong but the exact words I got were "Wilson raised their prices last night! A standard CQB went from $2550.00 to $2755.00!!"

Dunno, if JH would take on a small project I'd sent him my "Retro" GI and have a few things done, but given my luck he won't take the work.

ETA - No luck from JH, 12-18 months or longer before he thinks he'll take small jobs again. Maybe I'll just pass on a new 1911...

polizei1
08-18-2011, 05:38
If it were me, I would wait. Get on JH's list now, and when your name comes up, do it. He is a hell of a smith. I love what he did to my EMP but what I love the most? 2 FTE in the first mag due to bad ammo, ever since, ZERO malfunctions, 1,400 rounds and counting.

I would also LOVE to have a Roger's build.

glock2740
08-18-2011, 05:51
I like getting into arguments on the phone so Baer might be the better bet
You'll have lots of fun with Les for sure, if you like arguments over the phone. :rofl:

SPIN2010
08-18-2011, 06:48
Hey GJ,

Another example for you. Early "Exec Elite" shots.

GJ1981
08-18-2011, 12:15
If it were me, I would wait. Get on JH's list now, and when your name comes up, do it.

The only problem is he isn't even taking spots on his list, he told me 12-18 months until he thought his work would be caught up to a level where he felt comfortable taking on more.

I was only curious about the Brown, not saying I'll buy anything right now. I have yet another possible deal for one of my SA's, but seeing how I've had three deals fall through so far, I'm not getting my hopes up. If it sells, I'll start seriously considering my next step.

You'll have lots of fun with Les for sure, if you like arguments over the phone. :rofl:

Well, I have had practice with one shop, but seeing how my Baer had been good to me for the most part, I may be disappointed if I'm after an argument.

rsxr22
08-18-2011, 13:55
Your FFL was correct about the price increase, but not when it took place! We got our orders in just in the nick of time! I am upset that i didnt submit mine earlier though!! CQB is now $2775, XTAX $2675!!
Im sure the increase had to happen if Wilson did it, I just cant believe they had to have 2 in the same year!

GJ1981
08-18-2011, 14:09
CQB is now $2775, XTAX $2675!!

That's just crazy for the base price. I like my CQB when I paid $2300, but I do not think I can pay what they are asking now...it's ridiculous for what you get honestly.

If I buy something an easy solution will be to buy a Baer for damn near $1000 less and a HK45c and call it a day.

polizei1
08-18-2011, 14:13
I can't blame you, that's probably what I would do too. Well, except for the Baer part. :whistling:

Hokie1911
08-18-2011, 14:15
That's just crazy for the base price. I like my CQB when I paid $2300, but I do not think I can pay what they are asking now...it's ridiculous for what you get honestly.

If I buy something an easy solution will be to buy a Baer for damn near $1000 less and a HK45c and call it a day.

...or find someone willing to trade/sell a Brown for a reasonable amount. :supergrin:

GJ1981
08-18-2011, 14:16
Well, except for the Baer part. :whistling:

Hard to beat a Baer for the price, and I'm afraid to venture into the other brands given my history of crap luck.

...or find someone willing to trade/sell a Brown for a reasonable amount. :supergrin:

I have to unload my SACS's first before I can do anything...

polizei1
08-18-2011, 14:51
I would love to shoot a Baer, but the whole thing about him purposely cutting corners and not cutting correct dimensions completely kills it for me. I know the 5" are fine, but to me that is just terrible practice. And then there is the whole cardboard box thing...

GJ1981
08-18-2011, 15:44
Yeah the thing with sub 5" Baers sucks, but I have no issues with his 5" pistols. I'm not sure I'd ever buy a 1911 under 5" honestly, it would take an awful lot for me to take one.

As for the cardboard box, I think I lost mine from not using it for storage :rofl:

polizei1
08-18-2011, 16:25
Mmmm well, best of luck with whatever you decide. I wish I was fortunate enough to be able to afford various kinds of 1911's but alas, that isn't the case.

So JH, Rogers, and Drake are all booked? Man that sucks!

GJ1981
08-18-2011, 16:34
Mmmm well, best of luck with whatever you decide. I wish I was fortunate enough to be able to afford various kinds of 1911's but alas, that isn't the case.

So JH, Rogers, and Drake are all booked? Man that sucks!

I put off restoring my car to buy what I have since I didn't know exactly what I wanted from my car, but looking back, I'd be happier with fewer pistols that I would use more. I'm going through my entire collection and will start selling what I can, 1911's included. Live and learn.

No idea on Chuck Rogers, I haven't even thought of asking him since I have a feeling of what the answer would be, but JH, Drake, and Bob Rodgers are booked. Bob did refer me to someone who helps him with his pistolsmithing classes who might be the key for the work I'm after. Drake is taking my slide in for a night sight but that's it.

rsxr22
08-18-2011, 17:56
How come no one ever discusses Stan Chen? Im sure he is just as busy as all of these other guys, but I never even hear his name mentioned. I saw a few of his gun's at SHOT and his stuff was unreal!!

GJ1981
08-18-2011, 18:04
How come no one ever discusses Stan Chen?

I know someone on his list, something like 5 years. The price would kill me, I'm going to assume north of $6K for a full build, but they sure are sweet.

http://www.louderthanwords.us/mediumfoto/picts/ulfls/2701105/16150786311.jpg

polizei1
08-18-2011, 19:34
I didn't think he made 1911's anymore. There is nothing on his website but his ammo, magwell, and MSH. :dunno:

rsxr22
08-18-2011, 21:59
His guns are absolutely stunning. I definitely do not "love" retros, but I do like a modern/classic look, but that gun you pictured... JESUS!!