550 came in [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 550 came in

RustyFN
08-16-2011, 19:03
My 550 came in today with a 223 conversion kit. I mounted it to the bench and started to put it together. The directions were very good I thought. I had a little trouble with the shell plate. I tried to adjust it without a case. I put a case in a turned it half way between station 1 and 2, snugged it down and it works great. It comes with the large primer system installed so I had to change it over to small. Very easy I thought and didn't take very long. The powder measure came with the small powder bar installed and I need the large. It was also very easy to change over. I did learn that you have to keep a close eye on the little square white plastic thingy. I have the powder die and measure set height wise but not the charge. I did not install the rest of the dies yet. Overall I am very impressed how easy it was to set up. It seems that it should also be very easy to change calibers but I do see where it would be an advantage to buy extra powder measures with the conversion.

WiskyT
08-16-2011, 19:07
Let me get this straight. It came with the wrong primer parts, the shell plate didn't work right, the powder measure needed tinkering with. WTF, you could have bought a cheap red one, or an expensive red one, and gotten that same kind of raw deal.

norton
08-16-2011, 19:11
Congrats. The 550 is a fine progressive. too bad its not an auto indexing, but I have been told on GTR I do not need that automatic mover thingy.

Colorado4Wheel
08-16-2011, 19:34
Some brilliant minds on this forum.

Congratulations Rusty.

Beanie-Bean
08-16-2011, 19:57
Congrats, Rusty. I'm right behind you in line for mine--it should be here tomorrow according to FedEx. However, I don't have a bench setup yet to mount mine!

Hell, I'll mount it to the dining table if I have to!

Have fun--did you get any other dies? Or are you loading up .223 as your main caliber?

It's good to know that you were able to get through the manual and get the rig setup with little trouble.

n2extrm
08-16-2011, 20:33
Congrats Rusty. I am sure you will be very happy with it. The little white square will get you, they include them in the spare parts kit just for that reason. I might have lost one or two over the years. :whistling: I ended up getting powder measures for every tool head. You can get powder dies and put them on the tool heads and then you don't have to mess with that adjustment, just swap the measure over. Some people buy extra powder bars and leave them set for the tool head swap. In the long run the whole measure on the tool head is nice if you can swing it. I bought them over a few years.

RustyFN
08-16-2011, 20:38
Congrats, Rusty. I'm right behind you in line for mine--it should be here tomorrow according to FedEx. However, I don't have a bench setup yet to mount mine!

Hell, I'll mount it to the dining table if I have to!

Have fun--did you get any other dies? Or are you loading up .223 as your main caliber?

It's good to know that you were able to get through the manual and get the rig setup with little trouble.

I bought it to speed up loading 223. I have been shooting a lot of that lately. I will add other calibers as I get some extra cash. I didn't buy any dies. I'm going to try the Lee dies that I have been using on my classic turret press.

Thanks everybody.

unclebob
08-16-2011, 20:47
I would replace the Bellcrank keep nut on the powder measure with a nylon locking nut.

PCJim
08-16-2011, 21:28
Rusty, congrats on the 550. I can't imagine another press being any more versatile than your new acquisition.

Remember that you don't need to buy a complete caliber conversion kit for every caliber, as a lot of calibers use the same shellplate with different buttons. Check online for caliber conversion charts that you can download, sort and determine what you need to add another to your reloading abilities.

Look into getting one of those plastic slipover "flowers" or "thumbscrews" to go over the powder adjustment nut. They really make it easier to make adjustments to the powder charge. I dedicated a case for each caliber, marked with a ring for visibility and an upside down primer, to check powder charges. Keep them close by.

Keep the primer bar area clean (compressed air works great), and don't overtighten the primer magazine tube cap (doing so will ruin the plastic tip on the bottom of the tube).

Lee dies will work great with the 550b. Be sure to have a case in each station when you make your final adjustments.

My steps for 223: tumble, lube, resize/deprime (on the SS, could just as easily be done on the 550b if you remove the cases as they reach station 2), tumble to remove lube, trim, chamfer, debur, then back to the 550 to reload. If you end up following a similar process order, use a universal depriming die in station one to be sure there is no media in the flash hole (if you deprime on the 550b, you'll have to change station one dies). Finish the process as normal on the 550b.

Congrats again. All the best. :cool:

fredj338
08-16-2011, 21:39
Ah brilliant minds do think alike Rusty. GO BLUE!

freakshow10mm
08-16-2011, 22:44
My 550 came in today with a 223 conversion kit... I have the powder die and measure set height wise but not the charge.
One thing with rifle on the 550, the case length makes all the difference in smooth powder drops. Too much deviation from a median length will bind the operation.

ETA: If you load .45 or .308/30-'06 family cartridges, I've got a conversion kit I'm trying to get rid of.

RustyFN
08-17-2011, 04:51
I would replace the Bellcrank keep nut on the powder measure with a nylon locking nut.

It came with a nylock nut already.

RustyFN
08-17-2011, 04:53
One thing with rifle on the 550, the case length makes all the difference in smooth powder drops. Too much deviation from a median length will bind the operation.

ETA: If you load .45 or .308/30-'06 family cartridges, I've got a conversion kit I'm trying to get rid of.

Freak I'll send you a PM when I get home. I am interested in a 45 auto conversion.

ursoboostd
08-17-2011, 05:40
Congrats, have fun and be safe. -Wade-

unclebob
08-17-2011, 06:26
It came with a nylock nut already.

Thanks, Good to know.

Beanie-Bean
08-17-2011, 09:34
Going to be a nice weekend! Bench parts arrive tomorrow, and I'll be at Lowes with the cut sheet for the lumber later today. Guess that the car will have to live outside until I can get the garage rearranged to my liking (actually, to my wife's liking...that's another story.)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/95ab1749.jpg

Woohoo!

GioaJack
08-17-2011, 09:56
What's a 550 and why is it blue... did something happen to make it sad? I'm confused.

Posted from an iPhone with a screen the size of a drive in movie.

Jack

DoctaGlockta
08-17-2011, 10:46
Let me get this straight. It came with the wrong primer parts, the shell plate didn't work right, the powder measure needed tinkering with. WTF, you could have bought a cheap red one, or an expensive red one, and gotten that same kind of raw deal.

Didn't you read the post man?

It's Blue.......It's Blue!

Everything else be damned!!!

It's BLUE!!!!!!!!!

http://www.moviescribes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Jack-Nicholson-The-Shining.jpeg

Steve Koski
08-17-2011, 10:57
550's suck. Get a nickel plated sissy pistol instead.

El_Ron1
08-17-2011, 10:58
You!!

Colorado4Wheel
08-17-2011, 12:08

Yeah, thats exactly what he said.:rofl:

Steve Koski
08-17-2011, 12:36
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee304/SteveKoski/GP%20Pics%20C/BlueRed.jpg

unclebob
08-17-2011, 13:55
Going to be a nice weekend! Bench parts arrive tomorrow, and I'll be at Lowes with the cut sheet for the lumber later today. Guess that the car will have to live outside until I can get the garage rearranged to my liking (actually, to my wife's liking...that's another story.)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/95ab1749.jpg

Woohoo!

You mean you can actually park your car in a garage? My double car garage you could not even put a bicycle in there. What a minute I think there is one in there somewhere.

beancounter81
08-17-2011, 14:02

That's just.........wrong!

ChrisJn
08-17-2011, 16:10
You mean you can actually park your car in a garage? My double car garage you could not even put a bicycle in there. What a minute I think there is one in there somewhere.

I'm in the same boat and here we are half way through hurricane season.
I must try this weekend to make room for at least one car in case we get hit again this year.

RustyFN
08-17-2011, 16:34
Thanks, Good to know.

Thanks for the warning, I didn't think of it until you mentioned it.

RustyFN
08-17-2011, 16:36

Damn you just had to bring that one back. :rofl:

WiskyT
08-17-2011, 20:57
Yeah, thats exactly what he said.:rofl:

And here I am, thinking you meant I was one of the brilliant minds.

BTW, since I have a little white plastic thingy on my 650, what am I supposed to know about it? Do they get broken or lost?

RustyFN
08-17-2011, 21:23
And here I am, thinking you meant I was one of the brilliant minds.

BTW, since I have a little white plastic thingy on my 650, what am I supposed to know about it? Do they get broken or lost?

They fall off easy when changing powder bars.

WiskyT
08-18-2011, 13:33
They fall off easy when changing powder bars.

Thanks. I don't change bars, but I'll keep an eye on it just the same.

unclebob
08-18-2011, 13:52
Thanks. I don't change bars, but I'll keep an eye on it just the same.

If you have one of the older powder measures. Like I said before and change out the Bellcrank keep nut with a locking nut. Double nutting does not work. Since I have gone with the nylon locking nut I have not had the screw come loose yet.

Colorado4Wheel
08-18-2011, 13:54

What is the Bellcrank Nut.

unclebob
08-18-2011, 14:00
What is the Bellcrank Nut.

Part #13817 It is list as the Bellcrank Kep nut. It the nut that hold the Slotted Bellcrank in place or the failsafe system on the powder measure.

netmage2112
08-18-2011, 14:06

Unlike those Red Presses which come 'nekkid' from the factory. The 550 comes configured in a particular caliber, the OP neglected to mention what caliber, but needless to say, it came w/ the Large Primer system installed and configured with the Small Powder bar installed, as I'm pretty sure all Dillon presses do...

Don't be hatin'...

Colorado4Wheel
08-18-2011, 14:24
Load Master Comes fully loaded with DIES.

hockeyrcks9901
08-18-2011, 14:46
Man, I got to finish college and get a job. I have a LCT but living st my father in laws and I can't set it up...I would love to be out shooting and home reloading.

PCJim
08-18-2011, 15:36
Man, I got to finish college and get a job. I have a LCT but living st my father in laws and I can't set it up...I would love to be out shooting and home reloading.

There's plenty of reloaders in the bay area. Try to hook up with some of them.

If you drive a truck, its possible to rig up a platform for the tailgate and have a portable reloading station.

Then again, you've got some strong motivation to finish that education! :cool:

WiskyT
08-18-2011, 15:49
Unlike those Red Presses which come 'nekkid' from the factory. The 550 comes configured in a particular caliber, the OP neglected to mention what caliber, but needless to say, it came w/ the Large Primer system installed and configured with the Small Powder bar installed, as I'm pretty sure all Dillon presses do...

Don't be hatin'...

I was only kidding. I was using hyperbole to satirize people who DO hate. I'm stamping out hate.

WiskyT
08-18-2011, 15:51
If you have one of the older powder measures. Like I said before and change out the Bellcrank keep nut with a locking nut. Double nutting does not work. Since I have gone with the nylon locking nut I have not had the screw come loose yet.

My press was made about 2000. If I'm looking at the right thing, I have an allen screw that is retained by a hex nut and a serated lockwasher. I don't know if that's how it came, but that's the way my father ran it. It doesn't look like it could come loose.

WiskyT
08-18-2011, 15:55

You can fit one of these, and all the other things you need, in a shoebox and make good ammo. I started out in a similar situation years ago and it worked out great. I still have mine and use it occasionally for various things.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=665540

unclebob
08-18-2011, 16:37
My press was made about 2000. If I'm looking at the right thing, I have an allen screw that is retained by a hex nut and a serated lockwasher. I don't know if that's how it came, but that's the way my father ran it. It doesn't look like it could come loose.

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Dillon-XL650-Manual-May-2007.pdf

Look on page 53 for the powder measure. You have the fail Safe rod on the right in fits in the fail safe mechanism the bolt that fits threw the mechanism # 13904 is attached with the nut 16340. Whatever that nut is replace it with a locking nut. My instruction manual has a different part number. I guess that is the mix up. To get the star locking washer nut to hold you would have to tighten it so hard that the measure would not work. Over time unless you checked it all the time the bolt will loosen up and that square white piece Bellcrank cube would fall out.

Colorado4Wheel
08-18-2011, 16:43
I was only kidding. I was using hyperbole to satirize people who DO hate. I'm stamping out hate.

Don Quixote?

I have earned the right to dislike some things. Please don't try and take that away from me.:wavey:

hockeyrcks9901
08-18-2011, 17:19
There's plenty of reloaders in the bay area. Try to hook up with some of them.

If you drive a truck, its possible to rig up a platform for the tailgate and have a portable reloading station.

Then again, you've got some strong motivation to finish that education! :cool:

I drive a car that does not fit four adult people inside it is so small...No truck. :supergrin:

You can fit one of these, and all the other things you need, in a shoebox and make good ammo. I started out in a similar situation years ago and it worked out great. I still have mine and use it occasionally for various things.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=665540

Yea, but I have a LCT and all the goodies for it in a storage room (old bedroom) at my mothers. I only have one semester left in school, working on finding a job already and I'll be able to shoot and reload again. I was just expressing frustration at having all the tools but no way to use them.

WiskyT
08-18-2011, 17:25
I drive a car that does not fit four adult people inside it is so small...No truck. :supergrin:

Yea, but I have a LCT and all the goodies for it in a storage room (old bedroom) at my mothers. I only have one semester left in school, working on finding a job already and I'll be able to shoot and reload again. I was just expressing frustration at having all the tools but no way to use them.

You can use the dies you already have, and the shellholder, with a powder dipper and make ammo now. The resulting shooting and reloading will make you a less frustrated person, which will come across in a job interviews. This will give you an air of confidence which will allow you to sieze the day and get the job, while the other applicants get sent packing.

n2extrm
08-18-2011, 17:53

Wisky the old style without the nylon lock nut was on my first powder measure. That is how I ended up with some squibs from teaching some one to load. Long story short he wasn't looking in the cases close enough and the nut loosened up, the bar would not always move its full travel resulting in low charges. The nylon lock nut is really important.:wavey:

WiskyT
08-18-2011, 18:14
Wisky the old style without the nylon lock nut was on my first powder measure. That is how I ended up with some squibs from teaching some one to load. Long story short he wasn't looking in the cases close enough and the nut loosened up, the bar would not always move its full travel resulting in low charges. The nylon lock nut is really important.:wavey:

Doesn't the serated lockwasher do the same thing?:dunno:

n2extrm
08-18-2011, 18:58
Doesn't the serated lockwasher do the same thing?:dunno:

I think it helps but it doesnt stop it. That is why the new ones have the nylon one.

WiskyT
08-18-2011, 19:03
I think it helps but it doesnt stop it. That is why the new ones have the nylon one.

I'll keep an eye on it, but the lockwasher gets a pretty good bight on the body of the measure and has been staying put.

unclebob
08-18-2011, 19:07
I'll keep an eye on it, but the lockwasher gets a pretty good bight on the body of the measure and has been staying put.

It came lose on me one or two times. I then double nutted it. That came lose. I then put the nylon locking nut and it has not came loose since.

hockeyrcks9901
08-18-2011, 19:13
You can use the dies you already have, and the shellholder, with a powder dipper and make ammo now. The resulting shooting and reloading will make you a less frustrated person, which will come across in a job interviews. This will give you an air of confidence which will allow you to sieze the day and get the job, while the other applicants get sent packing.

Ahhh...but the ferocious beating from my wife would remove said confidence resulting in not getting the position.

WiskyT
08-18-2011, 19:16
It came lose on me one or two times. I then double nutted it. That came lose. I then put the nylon locking nut and it has not came loose since.

I didn't realise yours had a lockwasher. So the lockwasher didn't hold, good to know. Hopefully Home Depot or Lowes has nylock nuts.

GioaJack
08-18-2011, 19:18
Alright, let me get this straight, what ya'll are saying is there is an inherent design flaw in Dillon presses that routinely allows for either a squib or double charge and the only way to correct the flaw is through the use of expensive space-age materials and a team of engineers from MIT to both fabricate and install the mechanical correction.

That pretty much sum it up?

Jack

unclebob
08-18-2011, 19:25
I didn't realise yours had a lockwasher. So the lockwasher didn't hold, good to know. Hopefully Home Depot or Lowes has nylock nuts.

Yep they both have it. That is why on the newer press's Dillon already puts them on. Dillon does listen.

unclebob
08-18-2011, 19:28
Alright, let me get this straight, what ya'll are saying is there is an inherent design flaw in Dillon presses that routinely allows for either a squib or double charge and the only way to correct the flaw is through the use of expensive space-age materials and a team of engineers from MIT to both fabricate and install the mechanical correction.

That pretty much sum it up?

Jack

Yes but only for people with the name of Jack, and anyone that lives above 7000 feet.:tongueout:

PCJim
08-18-2011, 19:46
Ahhh...but the ferocious beating from my wife would remove said confidence resulting in not getting the position.

Ahhh, you didn't mention SWMBO before, only the education aspect of the situation. We all understand now, ESPECIALLY Jack. :rofl::supergrin:

hockeyrcks9901
08-18-2011, 20:43
Ahhh, you didn't mention SWMBO before, only the education aspect of the situation. We all understand now, ESPECIALLY Jack. :rofl::supergrin:

Yes. The WAF was low on the LCT in the living room of the apartment. Adding another would be detrimental to my food supply. You see, she's the one who feeds me.:supergrin::iloveyou: