1911 IWB Carry Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 IWB Carry Help

joemannnnn
08-16-2011, 19:31
Hey Guys,
I started to carry my DW CCO for the first time today. This is my first time carrying a 1911. I bought a holster from Kelley Gun Leather, it is similar to a VMII. The gun conceals real well, I carried at about 3-3:30. The only issue I have is when sitting. The grip safety will dig into my side, and the butt of the gun will restrict leaning back in chairs and while driving. I find myself sitting and adjusting discreetly. Is this all common? Any suggestions for improvement? The most uncomfortable part is the grip safety digging in, kinda wish the leather flap on back side was larger to cover or that I didn't have love handles. Should I keep an under shirt tucked in between? Thanks for the help
Joe

faawrenchbndr
08-16-2011, 19:34
I'm not familiar with that holster,.......but with a commander in a Versa Max II,
carried at 3:30 I do not have that problem at all. However we may be built a bit different.

lsbbigdog
08-16-2011, 19:40
You have to find that sweet spot between ride height,cant and location. I tried a MS VMII and a summer special. For me they where not comfortable. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck. This way I can adjust height and cant and it disperses the weight of the gun very well.

Wade-19
08-16-2011, 19:55
Well, I'm fat guy, and I love the VMII. I have one for all of the guns I might carry. I do wear a T-shirt between the holster and my skin though.

glock2740
08-16-2011, 19:57
I carry my CCO, and all of my other guns, :cool:, in a CBST. GREAT holster! :thumbsup:

Wade-19
08-16-2011, 19:59
I also like the C-tac.

polizei1
08-16-2011, 20:11
You will have to try a few holsters and see which ones work and which don't. I tried a VMII and it's a GREAT holster, but it didn't fit me. I love my Crossbreed Supertuck though, it's simply awesome.

Try moving the holster to the 4-5 position instead. However, it sounds like you need a holster with a sweat guard.

joemannnnn
08-16-2011, 20:19
You will have to try a few holsters and see which ones work and which don't. I tried a VMII and it's a GREAT holster, but it didn't fit me. I love my Crossbreed Supertuck though, it's simply awesome.

Try moving the holster to the 4-5 position instead. However, it sounds like you need a holster with a sweat guard.

I am going to try moving further back, 4:00 seems to be a sweet spot for the VMII based on some google research. I had a Crossbreed for my G19. I decided to go all leather for the 1911. I'm not giving up hope yet, it really is a nice piece. Steven was a pleasure to deal with. He actually adjusted the ride height lower and increased the cant for me based on how I liked to carry the glock. If in the market for a VMII, definitely check him out, I had the holster in 1 week, and at a very good price.

Hokie1911
08-16-2011, 20:32
I carry my VM2 about 4:00. If I am sitting in public....say eating or whatever, I slide it up to 3:00 to eliminate any printing as I am leaning over a table.

joemannnnn
08-16-2011, 20:38
I carry my VM2 about 4:00. If I am sitting in public....say eating or whatever, I slide it up to 3:00 to eliminate any printing as I am leaning over a table.

What about when sitting at work or in private, do you find 4:00 manageable? And what about when driving? I sit at a desk and drive a lot for work.

faawrenchbndr
08-16-2011, 20:42
It would seem I do carry a bit closer to 4 o'clock then 3:30

Hokie1911
08-16-2011, 20:45
What about when sitting at work or in private, do you find 4:00 manageable? And what about when driving? I sit at a desk and drive a lot for work.

I am not allowed to carry at work, so when I get there, I lock it up in a locker in my office. Aside from that, when I am in the car or pretty much the rest of the time I have it at 4:00 and have no issues. One time at Costco, my wife was getting a drink refill and said I was printing as I leaned over eating my pizza. Granted she was aware it was on me, but at that point, I slid it over to 3:00 and problem solved.

CMG
08-16-2011, 21:32
I am not allowed to carry at work, so when I get there, I lock it up in a locker in my office. Aside from that, when I am in the car or pretty much the rest of the time I have it at 4:00 and have no issues. One time at Costco, my wife was getting a drink refill and said I was printing as I leaned over eating my pizza. Granted she was aware it was on me, but at that point, I slid it over to 3:00 and problem solved.

Wait just one dang minute!

A bobtail prints?! :wow:

You may have just killed years of marketing effort with such a careless statement!

If Ed Brown hears about this, I'm betting he sends you a bill!

:supergrin:

up1911fan
08-16-2011, 21:48
IWB I carry at 4:00 as well. Doe's your holster have a "sweat shield/bodyguard" between you and the gun?

Hokie1911
08-16-2011, 21:52

You may have just killed years of marketing effort with such a careless statement!

:rofl:

Keep in mind this is wearing a T-shirt and shorts. Pretty much any gun will print IWB while leaning over or squatting down.

BuckyP
08-17-2011, 04:40

Keep in mind this is wearing a T-shirt and shorts. Pretty much any gun will print IWB while leaning over or squatting down.

Bob tail or not, it's still a full length grip. You can keep a gun from printing by having a really short grip and a low in the waistband holster.

On the other hand, bobtails are cool, printing be darned. :tongueout:

CMG
08-17-2011, 06:08

Pretty much any gun will print IWB while leaning over or squatting down.

OMG!

Next thing we know, you'll be trying to convince us that Glocks aren't Perfect!

Hokie1911
08-17-2011, 06:26
Bob tail or not, it's still a full length grip. You can keep a gun from printing by having a really short grip and a low in the waistband holster.

On the other hand, bobtails are cool, printing be darned. :tongueout:

Maybe if you're a big fat dude. :tongueout:

I'm 5'8, 170lb, with a 32" waist. If I bend down or lean over, I'm going to print no matter what I'm carrying. :supergrin:

Hokie1911
08-17-2011, 06:30
OMG!

Next thing we know, you'll be trying to convince us that Glocks aren't Perfect!

They are. Gaston got it right the 1st time around. No wait...the 2nd time. Damn, maybe it was the 3rd. Aww screw it.

okie
08-17-2011, 07:28
The sweat guard on my Seth's Wraith holster covers the grip safety and hammer:thumbsup:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/okie1911/003.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/okie1911/100_0023.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/okie1911/100_0029.jpg

BuckyP
08-17-2011, 07:36
Maybe if you're a big fat dude. :tongueout:

Guilty. :crying:

I'm 5'8, 170lb, with a 32" waist. If I bend down or lean over, I'm going to print no matter what I'm carrying. :supergrin:

http://www.proxibid.com/AuctionImages/3156/33957/Detail/15_1.jpg

:tongueout:

joemannnnn
08-17-2011, 09:52
Update...Day 2 of carry. I moved it more to a 4:00, seems much better, also wore a polo shirt with an undershirt tucked in. Very comfortable. I imagine it will continue to get better as the holster breaks in, I will try and get some pictures of this baby up later tonight