Glock ladies, what are you carrying [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock ladies, what are you carrying

flatblack5_0
08-16-2011, 19:47
im intent on getting my wife a glock, as she likes to shoot my 23.
so i am thinking about one of three, either a 23, 26, or 17 for her as an EDC. any input is good input.

thanks!

MrsKitty
08-16-2011, 21:44
I have an assortment to pick from but most often anymore it's a S&W Bodyguard. For years all I carried was a G23. Upon getting married, I laid claim to my husbands SP 101. :supergrin:

flatblack5_0
08-16-2011, 22:10
i was thinking either a 23, or a 27. just so we only need to worry about buying one caliber of ammunition... but at the same time i was thinking 19, or 26 so it can be cheaper for her to practice.

although if i keep going with my gun addiction im sure i will be needing to buy more than two calibers of ammunition.

Emoore
08-17-2011, 08:06
I tried carrying a G19 and a G26 but found the double stack guns hard to conceal in clothing that's even mildly body-huggng. My daily carry is a Kahr PM40.

amazon
08-17-2011, 08:26
I carry a 26 using a Mtac. But I'm not a small build and I can see women with a small frame having to look at a single stack (as mentioned above).

Also, as gun enthusiasts, we all know, she has to like shooting it to be proficient and be able to rely on it. So make sure it's something she chooses ;-)

roseandthorn
08-23-2011, 19:44
I have a 27 and I love it. I'm tiny with hands so small my pinkies don't even hang off the end, even without an extended mag. To me I feel like it's just less gun to handle, which I like, but packs the same punch.

Pro 2A
08-31-2011, 13:55
For quite awhile, I carried a 19 (Gen 2, low serial number if that gives any indication of how long :-) But my husband recently got a 26. I hadn't cared for them when I first held it, but with the extension on the mag (or using the mag for my 19) I like it well enough that I got one for myself! I went with the Gen 3 though because I think the Gen 4's grips are too rough for my taste.

I use a crossbreed supertuck holster and can conceal even my 19 with a tucked in T-shirt. The 26 is even easier to make dissapear. It is super comfortable and I highly recommend the supertuck, but be prepared to wait awhile for it to ship. Not sure why it takes so long, but it's worth it!

This is the video review of the supertuck that convinced me to get one and it doesn't lie! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3oPw1WCYpU

sapphiredish
08-31-2011, 14:42
My wife carries a 26 with a crossbreed holster works well for her

MKEgal
08-31-2011, 19:14
I carry 17s, & am considering a 19 for concealed carry on-body.
A 26 is much too small for my hands. (Though might be workable w/ the mag extension.)

But I support what others have said - let HER decide which one she wants!

Melissa5
09-02-2011, 19:00
I carried a Gen3 26 for a while, switched to a Kahr PM9, now carry a Gen4 26. The PM9 is a great size for small hands, but the DAO trigger was not good for me.

ubimow
09-04-2011, 02:31
I carry a Glock 26 but I've seriously been thinking about a Kahr PM9 or CM9 because they are so much thinner. But the 26 is pretty easy to carry IWB and I've done it every day for over a decade, trading off at times throughout the years with a Glock 19.

Kingarthurhk
09-04-2011, 02:33
I am hearing a lot of comments here, that I hear from my own wife. I am in quandry of what pistol to find for her next. She usually ends up asking me to find her one, or falls in love with one of mine so I end up getting a duplicate so mine doesn't walk away too far.

It has been an interesting transition for her. She grew up in an anti-gun house, but then got married to me and decided it was best to learn about them for safety reasons. The first weapon I purchased for her (before children came along) was a double barrel 12 guage (hammerless with two triggers). She could operate it easily enough, and it made me feel better when I wasn't home.

Soon, I taught her how operate a handgun and how to shoot it. I have a lot of years of carrying and qualifying with a handgun. However, she is naturally a better shot than me. Now, with children we don't get a lot of range time togehter. However, I witnessed her put two .45 holes right on top of each other at 15 yards. She has a CCL, and is even an NRA member now.

The next handgun she ran off with of mine (after the shotgun) was my Glock 22. She would carry it as a "car gun" put not holster it. I trained her on my Barretta 92F when she went to get her CCL. She said she didn't like it. So, as a present for passing her CCL I went and got her a Ruger LCP, which she carried CCL because she liked the small size to fit with her outfits.

I had an XD .45 service model, and she shot it, and loved it. Knowing what happened to my Glock 22 in years past, I decided to get rid of the KHAR 9mm I had gotten (which jammed and she hated) and got her an XD .45 service model (which she was shooting with her two hole shot). However, she decided that it was a bit bulky for concealed carry.

She has asked me to find her "something inbetween" the Ruger LCP (she shoots it fine, but hates the heavy double action trigger) and the XD .45.

To limit it a bit further, she asked if I would find her a glock. She experience a jam on her XD .45 and noticed my Glock 20 never even hiccuped. As she evolves with her firearms experience, she is getting more confident. She chose the XD due to the backstrap safety feature, and thumb safety on her particular model.

Now, she has come to the realization that I had tried to convince her of, but respected her concerns, that safeties are a fine motor movement and stressful situations typically involve gross motor movements.

So, now she is into the idea of glock reliability, and is more confident to not need all the extra safety features of the XD. We had looked at an XD .40 subcompact, but she said the double stack and weight was just about as bad as the XD .45 service model.

I carry a Glock 26 regularly and was thinking about going that route, or maybe a Glock 27.

So, at this point, I am looking for some honest opinions from the ladies that CCL. Thanks for your input and help.

Emoore
09-04-2011, 20:41
I love my Kahr for daily carry, but it's not remotely fun to shoot. I take it to the range and put a box through it and have a horseshoe shaped purple bruise on my hand when I'm done. If I put more than about 70-75 rounds through it, it jams. I'm ok with that because a) I've gotten good at clearing jams and b) I don't plan on shooting 75 rounds in a self-defense situation. For someone like me who can't remember NOT knowing how to shoot, it's great because it conceals easily and I've gotten very accurate with it. But this isn't a gun I would recommend for anyone who was uncertain about shooting or unsure about guns in general.

Kingarthurhk
09-05-2011, 17:43
I love my Kahr for daily carry, but it's not remotely fun to shoot. I take it to the range and put a box through it and have a horseshoe shaped purple bruise on my hand when I'm done. If I put more than about 70-75 rounds through it, it jams. I'm ok with that because a) I've gotten good at clearing jams and b) I don't plan on shooting 75 rounds in a self-defense situation. For someone like me who can't remember NOT knowing how to shoot, it's great because it conceals easily and I've gotten very accurate with it. But this isn't a gun I would recommend for anyone who was uncertain about shooting or unsure about guns in general.

Thanks, Emoore. We got rid of the KHAR 9 beause it jammed more frequently than that with anything other than ball ammo. That, and she didn't like it. I let her handle my Glock 26, and and this may be the route we'll be going. I do plan on taking her to the next gun show and let her fondle any of the pistols that remotely interest her. She just recently got an invite to try some competitive tactical shooting, I hope she takes up the invite. She wants to get into learning more of the tactical side of things now that she is confident with her marksmanship.

I have shown her some of things I know, but you really need a specialized range to do things like shoot and move, use of concealment vs. cover, etc. She is into the concept, I can't wait to conitnue to watch her blosom in the sport.

TH237
09-09-2011, 06:03
My wife doesn't do the forum thing, but she does carry a Walther PPKS at all times.