Green Bay PD getting new badges... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay PD getting new badges...

golls17
08-17-2011, 14:33
Sort of. They're optional and can be worn through August.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Green-Bay-Packers-police-honor-Super-Bowl-champions-on-badges-081711

http://64.19.142.13/static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2011/08/17/081711-NFL-Green-Bay-Police-Badge-JW_20110817133226678_660_320.JPG

DaBigBR
08-17-2011, 16:15
As long as they're making officers that want them pay for it, I can live with it. I would hate to see an agency buy a few hundred badges to wear for a year to commemorate what is ultimately a pretty silly occasion in the grand scheme of things, on taxpayer funds.

x_out86
08-17-2011, 17:09
Cool concept....I am sure they will be taken out of officers uniform allowance, or out of pocket should the officer choose to get one. I would get one just for the fact that they are going to be very rare down the road.

Kinda wish I worked for GBPD right now...

goosie119
08-17-2011, 17:28
I got one coming,just another badge to put in the shadow box for the grandkids to look at someday. And don't worry, I cut a check to the PD for mine ;-)

itsnitro
08-17-2011, 18:03
My previous agency had a 100th year badge that we HAD to pay for. You were able to get your title and last name on it. I like GB new badge, wish I could get one.

Hunca Munca
08-17-2011, 20:09
I am sure everyone around here would pay for a steelers logo on their badge...

:whistling::whistling:

blueiron
08-17-2011, 21:58
Something to keep in mind is that the Green Bay Packers are a not for profit, community owned NFL franchise [the only one]. The team makes a bunch of money and if a hundred dollars a piece went to make a couple hundred badges, I don't see a problem.

Although it is a bit garish to my eye, I had to suffer through a few years of a hideous badge, patch, and credential combination when I was on the job. That badge is better looking than the one I had to wear and the taxpayers paid for those. When I got a commemorative badge for the city's anniversary, no one had heard of the anniversary.

Since the city has ownership of the team, it is a point of community pride.

Although I am not a fan, I'd love to have one just to tease a friend who is a huge GB Packers fan.

rookie1
08-18-2011, 00:44
Something to keep in mind is that the Green Bay Packers are a not for profit, community owned NFL franchise [the only one]. The team makes a bunch of money and if a hundred dollars a piece went to make a couple hundred badges, I don't see a problem.

Although it is a bit garish to my eye, I had to suffer through a few years of a hideous badge, patch, and credential combination when I was on the job. That badge is better looking than the one I had to wear and the taxpayers paid for those. When I got a commemorative badge for the city's anniversary, no one had heard of the anniversary.

Since the city has ownership of the team, it is a point of community pride.

Although I am not a fan, I'd love to have one just to tease a friend who is a huge GB Packers fan.

I am a packers fan but don't take off every Sunday to watch them. If a game is on and I'm home I'll watch it. I have gone to 3 games back when Favre was still on the team, paid $300 a game. I toured the staduim and not being a huge sports fan the tour was amazing. The history behind the packers and the team is really neat. I would love a badge like that.

MeefZah
08-18-2011, 03:21
I guess it's okay, doesn't do anything for me.

eracer
08-18-2011, 04:06
Somebody buy me one. I'll pay the shipping.

(But officer, I'm not impersonation a police officer. I'm just showing my pride in my team.)

Sorry guys, but this is a ridiculous idea. A police badge is a police badge, and not an advertising medium.

Bruce M
08-18-2011, 05:30
We did a generic one for the last Super Bowl here and one closer to our badge for the one previous.

http://collinson.biz/badges_for_sale/SBXLIVsetsm.jpg

Agent6-3/8
08-18-2011, 10:03
Hmm...I guess if it doesn't cost the tax payers any money its fine by me.

The grumpy, hateful, cynical part of me has to say this.... I have a really hard time getting into or supporting pro sports. Many of these overpiad players, hailed as heros to our youth are little more than thugs that fell off the turnip truck in a place that allowed them to take advantage of a talent the good lord blessed them with. Just look at the antics we constantly see in the media from these professional athletes. Considering the above, I think a badge touting the exploits of sports teams cheapens the uniform and meaning of the badge.

:rant:

I know, I know...lighten up Francis! :supergrin:

blueiron
08-18-2011, 12:11
Considering the above, I think a badge touting the exploits of sports teams cheapens the uniform and meaning of the badge.

I'd rather wear a Packers badge than a BHO 2012 Inauguration badge.

Agent6-3/8
08-18-2011, 12:38
I'd rather wear a Packers badge than a BHO 2012 Inauguration badge.

Boy, ain't that the truth!

MeefZah
08-18-2011, 22:32
The grumpy, hateful, cynical part of me has to say this.... I have a really hard time getting into or supporting pro sports. Many of these overpiad players, hailed as heros to our youth are little more than thugs that fell off the turnip truck in a place that allowed them to take advantage of a talent the good lord blessed them with. Just look at the antics we constantly see in the media from these professional athletes. Considering the above, I think a badge touting the exploits of sports teams cheapens the uniform and meaning of the badge.

:rant:

I know, I know...lighten up Francis! :supergrin:

Dude, I totally agree. I hate pro and pre-pro (college) sports.

It's like everyone's priorities are totally off kilter.

Line Rider
08-20-2011, 05:55
I've never liked the idea of sports logos or colors being used on police cars, uniforms or buildings.

MooseJaw
08-20-2011, 12:11
I've never liked the idea of sports logos or colors being used on police cars, uniforms or buildings.

So, you're not in favor of re-naming the Milwaukee Jail to: "Cheesehead Prison"

South Fla
08-20-2011, 13:59
Sorry guys, but this is a ridiculous idea. A police badge is a police badge, and not an advertising medium.

A commemoration one that sits is a shadowbox or a felt-lined case is fine.

One worn on a uniform is ridiculous.

I wonder is they will be rendering one in cloth so they can wear it on their polo shirts and BDUs.

:upeyes::upeyes::upeyes: