Lead bullets/comp barrel(6 port)? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lead bullets/comp barrel(6 port)?

Rocken
08-17-2011, 14:44
Anybody load lead bullets (124grn) in a Wolf 6 port barrel? I have a glock 34 and currently load Berry 124. If I get a Wolf Barrel I can start to load lead. I think the 6 port Wolf just adds a little something to the 34. However, wolf seems to imply I would have to run hot loads to get proper cycling out of my pistol. I load lead in my 45, when I run it hot (over 850 fps) I lead the barrel. If I buy the 6 port barrel and I have to shoot jacketed to get the gun to cycle, I just wasted the price of the barrel. I want to shoot lead. I will buy a standard barrel if I need to. I was just hoping to learn from someone who's tried.

noylj
08-17-2011, 15:53
I shoot lead in several comped barrels and never had a problem. Some people say that lead collects in the compensator, but I haven't seen it.
You'll have to test and see how YOUR barrel handles it.

jmorris
08-17-2011, 19:27
If you are trying to shoot major nine with lead you might as well drop your barrel in the pot once it's molten and unplug it...

You can run a glock 34 with very light loads, just change the recoil spring.

unclebob
08-17-2011, 19:49
To get the comp especially a 6 port comp you need to run hot loads to get the comp to work. Leading you may or may not get leading. Not too many people have luck shooting lead with a comp when trying to get the comp to work.

Jerry
08-17-2011, 20:15
As jmorris says, you can run light loads by using lighter recoil springs. However, the hotter the load the better the comp will work.

If the barrel and comp are stainless it’s easy to get the lead out. Soak the barrel and comp in a 50/50 solution of vinegar and Hydrogen peroxide. It will eat the lead out without hurting the barrel or comp. DO NOT use the mixture on NON-STAINLESS barrels it WILL EAT UP THE BARREL

unclebob
08-18-2011, 07:33
As jmorris says, you can run light loads by using lighter recoil springs. However, the hotter the load the better the comp will work.

If the barrel and comp are stainless it’s easy to get the lead out. Soak the barrel and comp in a 50/50 solution of vinegar and Hydrogen peroxide. It will eat the lead out without hurting the barrel or comp. DO NOT use the mixture on NON-STAINLESS barrels it WILL EAT UP THE BARREL

You can use it on a Glock barrel also. Either case do not leave it in the solution for more than 10 minutes. And rise well with water.

Rocken
08-18-2011, 20:37
Thanks for the help. I have no real reason to get the comp barrel other than coolness factor. I want a barrel to shoot lead. I want the gun to cycle properly. I am a firm believer in Choreboy to delead the barrel. I just don't want to have to melt the bullets in order to cycle the gun. I am still on the fence. I will think about for a week or two. I will then decide what way to go. I am thankful for al comments.

Smoker
08-18-2011, 20:41
i have the regular LWD barrel in my 32, I always start out with 10 or 12 of every new load just to see if they will cycle right. No issues with the lead bullets.

unclebob
08-19-2011, 06:49
Thanks for the help. I have no real reason to get the comp barrel other than coolness factor. I want a barrel to shoot lead. I want the gun to cycle properly. I am a firm believer in Choreboy to delead the barrel. I just don't want to have to melt the bullets in order to cycle the gun. I am still on the fence. I will think about for a week or two. I will then decide what way to go. I am thankful for al comments.

Getting the lead out of the barrel is the easy part. Getting the lead out of the comp is not.

jmorris
08-19-2011, 07:44
Thanks for the help. I have no real reason to get the comp barrel other than coolness factor. I want a barrel to shoot lead. I want the gun to cycle properly.

It will still look the same with light loads and a light recoil spring.