I load .45, .38 and .357. Got an LCP, thinking about loading .380... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I load .45, .38 and .357. Got an LCP, thinking about loading .380...

Glock21sf-miami
08-17-2011, 16:32
Fellow reloaders,

I have been loading .45 acp, .38 special and will load for .357 mag once I have enough brass.

I just purchased an LCP for my wife and after looking at it, I might use it as a backup gun or extremely deep concealment when nothing else will do. This little gun definitely has a very clear niche to fill.

I don't see it as range gun so I don't expect long firing sessions. I thought that if I could use some of the stuff I already have I might even try to reload some rounds for it. However, I'm seeing the bullet diameter is .355 so my .38 special dies won't work. Probably the shellplate won't work either.... and I will have to buy bullets so the bill starts looking maybe a bit too high for a caliber that I will fire sparingly just to keep some practice with the gun.

BTW, I have a LNL AP Press.

it seems like a tiny round to reload, any of you have had experience with it?

Colorado4Wheel
08-17-2011, 16:47
.380 is a great caliber to reload. Ammo is very expensive and reloading for it is cheaper then loading for 9mm.

I have tried a fast powder in my .380 loads and then a slower powder. I prefer the slower powder for my LCP. Seems to work the gun better and is a little more accurate and hits more POA.

Glock21sf-miami
08-17-2011, 16:49
I have some W231 that might work ...........

Boxerglocker
08-17-2011, 17:33
I have some W231 that might work ...........

3.2g HP-38/W231 backing a 100g Berry's RNHB at .980 OAL is the ultimate .380 ACP reload IMHO. Got this one from "Freakshow10mm" it's his actual commercial load that he sells to the public.

I'm not normally fussy with primers with any of my loads through my guns but with my .380 loads all I use is Federal SPP's now. The reliability is 100% is several mouse guns borrowed that I have tried it on as well as my own P3AT.

jdavionic
08-17-2011, 17:35
I reload for our LCPs. I've used this load and fired many rounds with zero problems. I haven't gotten around to chrono'ing these yet.

Winchester FMJ 95 gr
2.7 gr Titegroup
WSP primer
0.960 OAL
Medium Crimp using Lee Factory Crimp

PCJim
08-17-2011, 21:11
Not in a LCP, but a P238: Missouri Bullets "Secret Agent" 95 gr LRN over 2.8gr W231. Cheap range time for a fun backup pistol.

freakshow10mm
08-17-2011, 23:00
3.2g HP-38/W231 backing a 100g Berry's RNHB at .980 OAL is the ultimate .380 ACP reload IMHO. Got this one from "Freakshow10mm" it's his actual commercial load that he sells to the public.

I can confirm all the above. :wavey:

skeeter7
08-17-2011, 23:40
I've been playing around with the idea of loading .380 since ammo is getting out of control for these things. My bodyguard isn't "fun" to shoot but I do carry it so I do try to get a few rounds through it during every range session to stay up on it. Still haven't decided yet...

Dasglockenspiel
08-18-2011, 01:23
Glock N Stuff:

I started reloading 380 ACP about 3 years ago. I have used 8 powders with bullets from 88 Gr to 100Gr with varied results. It seems that many of the powders that work in medium power 9 x 19 loads work well in the 380 ACP. The Blue Dot is a bit messy tough. I buy surplus & blem 380 ACP and we have a hoot shooting.

We usually shoot the 380s in the early eve so we can enjoy the muzzle flash. They are fun to reload.

Enjoy!

Dasglockenspiel

Beanie-Bean
08-18-2011, 06:18
Thank you for the reload data, guys.

I agree, the .380 pricing is ridiculous, especially in light of how many people carry the caliber. You'd think that it would be priced like 9X19.

SIG P238 in my pocket sometimes, and I'd fire the crap out of it if I were to roll my own. First things first--have to setup the bench first, then get the hang of reloading .45 and 9mm.

I like shooting the .380, and since it's on my list of "expensive" ammo for my calibers (.380 Auto, .357 SIG, and .45 GAP) it'll likely be one of the dies/caliber conversion kits I pick up sooner than later.

Tom in Arizona
08-18-2011, 06:42
Good results with 3.4 grains HP-38 with 90 grain Hornady XTP, Win SP primer. 925 fps. from LCP.

Colorado4Wheel
08-18-2011, 06:58
I like shooting the .380, and since it's on my list of "expensive" ammo for my calibers (.380 Auto, .357 SIG, and .45 GAP) it'll likely be one of the dies/caliber conversion kits I pick up sooner than later.

You need to get a 10mm next. That should round out your collection nicely.

Beanie-Bean
08-18-2011, 08:23
You need to get a 10mm next. That should round out your collection nicely.

Yessir, I've got my eye on a G29SF. At the moment, the reloading thing is taking up some pistol money, so after I get a few calibers going, I'll reference the caliber conversion chart to see what individual components I'll need to get another caliber setup.

Good thing about the 10mm reloading equipment, is that I can also do .40 S&W. I think that I can even use the same boolit, too, in reference to a 180 gr. bullet.

Patiently awaiting the UPS truck for the rest of my bench...

Question for you, C4W: Is it possible to adjust the die lock rings without the 1" bench wrench? That was one of the items I didn't put on any of my orders last week. I was thinking about get a deep-well 1" socket to do that.

Thanks!

Colorado4Wheel
08-18-2011, 14:00
I doubt a Deep Well would be deep enough. Just use a adjustable or fixed wrench. You can buy a 1 inch from someplace and grind down the thick parts that might get in the way.

PCJim
08-18-2011, 15:32
A deep socket is not long enough. Like Steve stated, an adjustable or open end wrench will work fine. I use a 7 or 8" adjustable; no need for anything longer as the jaws would probably be too thick.

Glock21sf-miami
08-18-2011, 20:33
Regarding the dies, I saw some lee dies that were really inexpensive and had good reviews...
Up until now I have stuck to the Hornady Nitride dies for .45 and .38 with great results. Maybe I'll just pony up the extra bucks and stick with what I know works well...
I will also have to get a new shellplate....

I have always thought I would stay with .45 and .357 as my defense calibers for carry. Concealment made me look into this little gun and I must say... I am loving this gun and I am looking forward to developing some loads for it. I would only carry it as a backup or primary if I absolutely cannot have my G36 or SP101 with me.

However, it seems this gun may replace the 642 as my wife's primary carry...

Great info on the previous posts for me to start brewing up something...Thanks!

Boxerglocker
08-18-2011, 20:44
I previously only loaded .380ACP with a SDB but when I switched to the XL650 got Horandy dies to try out. They work great.

GioaJack
08-18-2011, 21:11
Glock21...

Bear in mind that with the LNL you need a long seating die to work reliably. I used the same set of Lyman .380 dies for over 40 years but when I installed them on the LNL the seating die was too short.

I ended up replacing them with Hornady dies. Lee may also work, I don't really know but Little Stevie might... he's bought and returned every piece of equipment that Midway carries.

Jack

PCJim
08-18-2011, 21:49
Glock21...

Bear in mind that with the LNL you need a long seating die to work reliably. I used the same set of Lyman .380 dies for over 40 years but when I installed them on the LNL the seating die was too short.

I ended up replacing them with Hornady dies. Lee may also work, I don't really know but Little Stevie might... he's bought and returned every piece of equipment that Midway carries.

Jack

I'm not familiar with the LNL press. Just wondering if placing the die lock ring under the toolhead, as opposed to the normal position on top, would have allowed for enough adjustment to make the seater work?

freakshow10mm
08-18-2011, 22:27
I'm not familiar with the LNL press. Just wondering if placing the die lock ring under the toolhead, as opposed to the normal position on top, would have allowed for enough adjustment to make the seater work?
I have used that technique on my Dillon presses a few times for certain things and it's good stuff. I'd try that before spending money on more equipment. Technique rules all.

Colorado4Wheel
08-19-2011, 06:37
Glock21...

Jack

I kept the good stuff. :wavey:

Lee dies work fine on the LnL. Even in .380 my RCBS and Lee Seaters worked fine. Of course my stuff isn't 40 years old.

BK63
08-19-2011, 17:15
I reload 380 with 4.0 grains Unique 95 grain JHP bullet works well in both my LCP and Walther PPK/S.

unclebob
08-19-2011, 17:41
With the LNL you would have to screw the die in adjust it lock it down then would have to remove the die when done. You would lose the Lock and Load feature.

Glock21sf-miami
08-19-2011, 21:31
Hey Jack,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the heads up.

For now, I'm expanding my selection of brass for reloading. Just got 4 boxes of assorted fmj rounds for the range and a box of critical defense to keep the magazine full...

Once I shoot these... i will get the dies and try out a couple loads.

Glock21...

Jack

G36_Me
08-20-2011, 11:35
Not in a LCP, but a P238: Missouri Bullets "Secret Agent" 95 gr LRN over 2.8gr W231. Cheap range time for a fun backup pistol.

+1 I reload for my P238 also and it is a blast. Couldn't afford to shoot it without reloading. I'm very biased towards this little 1911 type of gun.