How's your night at work going? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How's your night at work going?

efman
08-17-2011, 22:44
Let's hear it guys how's your Thursday night on the front lines? Hope everyone is staying safe!

Big House
08-17-2011, 22:53
Wednesday night, maybe?

efman
08-17-2011, 23:13
Errrrr Thursday morning?? Lol

x_out86
08-17-2011, 23:59
Mine was spent on the last day off in my 6-3 rotation. I spent my time wisely by spending time with the wife before she left for work, worked out by hitting the weights for an hour, then had a little R&R time after the sun went down courtesy of my friends Korbel and Coca-Cola.

Cochese
08-18-2011, 02:10
I'm off and setting up my gear for a rifle class this Saturday.

http://www.makhairagroup.com/

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ThqPHd1Tims/TkzIwB2wAvI/AAAAAAAADTs/HkyXMjJRY1E/s1152/IMAG0735.jpg

COLOSHOOTR
08-18-2011, 03:05
Just a little car chase no big deal.... lol Actually it was awesome! Nobody got hurt and there was not even a scratch on any of the cars involved. Then spent the rest of the night on the mountain of paperwork that came after the fun stuff.

MeefZah
08-18-2011, 03:17
Mmmm.... I rode around aimlessly, locked mirrors with another copper, walked around aimlessly, surfed the internet, cleaned 5x guns (qualifications were yesterday morning), took one BS call, surfed the internet, put gas in the car.... that'd be my night. Off in 44 min.

pal2511
08-18-2011, 03:36
Drove around. Burned up gas. Surfed the internet. Burned up some more gas. Talked to another officer via telephone. Burned up gas. Ate some left over pizza. About to go burn up some more gas.

*envious of cochese and his rifle class

i8547
08-18-2011, 03:36
My team conducted a warrant service on an "ethnic social club" with about 11 other agencies. Gave lots and lots of people quality pounding sans the lube from every law enforcement angle possible.

Cochese
08-18-2011, 03:46
Just a little car chase no big deal.... lol Actually it was awesome! Nobody got hurt and there was not even a scratch on any of the cars involved. Then spent the rest of the night on the mountain of paperwork that came after the fun stuff.

:dancingbanana:

Mmmm.... I rode around aimlessly, locked mirrors with another copper, walked around aimlessly, surfed the internet, cleaned 5x guns (qualifications were yesterday morning), took one BS call, surfed the internet, put gas in the car.... that'd be my night. Off in 44 min.

Sounds like my Friday!

Drove around. Burned up gas. Surfed the internet. Burned up some more gas. Talked to another officer via telephone. Burned up gas. Ate some left over pizza. About to go burn up some more gas.

*envious of cochese and his rifle class

I got an e-mail from RMGO on my phone about the class while out to lunch with the family. I spontaneously signed up for it, since it was:

A) Only $150.
B) Only 400 rounds (which I have in my locker)
C) On Saturday from 12-6:30 and I don't work till 9 P.M., so I don't have to burn any comp.

I mentioned it in roll call and told my Sergeant I may be a little late into work due to travel time. (It's about 70 miles one way.) She promptly signed a training request for me which picked up the tab for tuition, allocated 400 rounds from the armory and pays me my salary to attend, and gave me the night off. :faint:

My team conducted a warrant service on an "ethnic social club" with about 11 other agencies. Gave lots and lots of people quality pounding sans the lube from every law enforcement angle possible.

:rofl:

:cheers:

efman
08-18-2011, 04:36

Sounds like my Friday!

I got an e-mail from RMGO on my phone about the class while out to lunch with the family. I spontaneously signed up for it, since it was:

A) Only $150.
C) On Saturday from 12-6:30 and I don't work till 9 P.M., so I don't have to burn any comp.

I mentioned it in roll call and told my Sergeant I may be a little late into work due to travel time. (It's about 70 miles one way.) She promptly signed a training request for me which picked up the tab for tuition, allocated 400 rounds from the armory and pays me my salary to attend, and gave me the night off. :faint:

this must be what heaven is like! :wow:

efman
08-18-2011, 04:38
seems like it was a slow night for most of cop talk, nothing wrong with that since everyone was safe! I just got home in bed which means life is good!

Cochese
08-18-2011, 04:39
It sure was a surprise.

I forgot to mention I'm taking a patrol car now too instead of my shaggin wagon.

:supergrin:

lloydchristmas
08-18-2011, 05:14
It sure was a surprise.

I forgot to mention I'm taking a patrol car now too instead of my shaggin wagon.

:supergrin:

LUCKY!

Just under two hours left on the friday of my 6-3 rotation. One theft complaint, one ambulance call. Just enough to keep me awake, but not generate any mass amounts of paperwork on my last day.

Taking my son to a Packer pre-season game Friday for his birthday.

pal2511
08-18-2011, 05:21

Sounds like my Friday!

A) Only $150.

I once asked to attend a SFST class for a refresher that was about 5 hours away. The class was totally free except for food and salary plus travel expenses for driving. Since I knew some people down there I could get the hotel room for free. DENIED because it cost too much.

Asked training guy last week to send me to a shooting class and it cost $120 and it was denied due to costing too much and he told me to talk to the chief. So I sent him a email. I have yet to hear from him which means DENIED.

Did I mention this June I got chewed out because I didn't have enough training hours and was threatened to be fired because of it? Love small town departments

BIGGUNS911
08-18-2011, 05:48
Called on duty, drove 40 miles to get to dist I was working in, burned gas, got bs call, cleared bs call, got assault call.

During assault call made new-b mistake a followed meth head into unk house because my gut said to do it. Suspect from assault call handed person that went into house after I told them to stop something ( I vote drugs ). Third person stood in doorway and I had to push past them. Got in house and found boyfriend, person that did not stop and person that was in the way were now not happy with me, and did I say I was by my self on all of this. Promptly backed out got suspect and moved to my patrol car. Arrested suspect and turned over my card to person yelling at me that they want one because they know their rights. Booked suspect, send E-mail to Sargent telling him to expect a complaint and spent the last part of my night doing paper work. Fun times.:faint:

Big House
08-18-2011, 05:58

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ThqPHd1Tims/TkzIwB2wAvI/AAAAAAAADTs/HkyXMjJRY1E/s1152/IMAG0735.jpg

Nice toys! Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Big House
08-18-2011, 06:01
I once asked to attend a SFST class for a refresher that was about 5 hours away. The class was totally free except for food and salary plus travel expenses for driving. Since I knew some people down there I could get the hotel room for free. DENIED because it cost too much.

Asked training guy last week to send me to a shooting class and it cost $120 and it was denied due to costing too much and he told me to talk to the chief. So I sent him a email. I have yet to hear from him which means DENIED.

Did I mention this June I got chewed out because I didn't have enough training hours and was threatened to be fired because of it? Love small town departments

Are you sure you're not in OK? :rofl:

Big House
08-18-2011, 06:03

Makes for a fast night.

Kahr_Glockman
08-18-2011, 08:08

I hate you. That is all.

siblueg
08-18-2011, 08:23
Sounds like a eventfull evening for some, as for me I'm on vacation:tongueout:

Cochese
08-18-2011, 08:43

That's insane. We have four employees in our training division who are responsible for scheduling our in-house in service every year. I have never heard of someone being threatened with termination because of training hours. Crazy.

Called on duty, drove 40 miles to get to dist I was working in, burned gas, got bs call, cleared bs call, got assault call.

During assault call made new-b mistake a followed meth head into unk house because my gut said to do it. Suspect from assault call handed person that went into house after I told them to stop something ( I vote drugs ). Third person stood in doorway and I had to push past them. Got in house and found boyfriend, person that did not stop and person that was in the way were now not happy with me, and did I say I was by my self on all of this. Promptly backed out got suspect and moved to my patrol car. Arrested suspect and turned over my card to person yelling at me that they want one because they know their rights. Booked suspect, send E-mail to Sargent telling him to expect a complaint and spent the last part of my night doing paper work. Fun times.:faint:

How big is your agency?

How available is cover from neighboring agencies?

How long was your training program?

How long do you have on?

Need more information before I lecture you on your egregious officer safety violation!!! :soap:

Please be careful and remember if some a-hole wants to lose a little dope on you, it ain't worth your life.

Nice toys! Hopefully the weather cooperates.

It'll probably either be 100F or pouring rain. :supergrin:

I hate you. That is all.

Can't we be friends?? :crying:

Hack
08-18-2011, 09:18
Uneventful.

Kahr_Glockman
08-18-2011, 09:26
Yeah, we can be friends. You have single handedly made me lust for a 1911 again. BUt I am not wrong handed so I have a few more options open to me than a $2500 9mm.

BTW, I too am in the process of doing an SBR. I am going with a BCM 11.5" upper on my RRA NM lower. I have to submit my Form 4 and pay the FU tax and then wait.

I am doing the MagPul forearm and a TK11 in a Vikings tactics mount. I have yet to decide if I am going to do a Noveske Pig, LeVang Comp(which I already have), or just leave the A2 flash suppresor on it.

I will probably get an Aimpoint M2 or M3, or an EOTech XPS. Other than the optics I am ready to go.

I am ready to be done with the process and get my gun built.

Denikes
08-18-2011, 10:59
It always amazes to see how those of us doing the same job have such different workdays. Even midnights in the winter where I work you get a minimum of 10-15 calls a shift, and that's not a busy day.

On the other hand I have almost 100 officers within 10 minutes of me and this whole running calls by myself out in the boonies gives me the heebie jeebies.

BIGGUNS911
08-18-2011, 12:27
How big is your agency?

How available is cover from neighboring agencies?

How long was your training program?

How long do you have on?

Need more information before I lecture you on your egregious officer safety violation!!! :soap:

Please be careful and remember if some a-hole wants to lose a little dope on you, it ain't worth your life.

God do I know a little dope is not worth my life. It was a stick head up A situation and the young dumb cop in me took over. Once I was in the situation I knew I was in a bad way. Thanks god nothing bad went down and I was able to get out of there fast. Trust me I have been kicking my own A all night and into today. I'm half pissed at my self for doing it.:steamed:

As for your questions: agency is 22 person's including command staff, back up has been screwed with so much by the command staff that no one wants to back anyone up (I will admit I did not ask), Training is relative, I look at this as training is some ways, I have 8 years on and the normal amount of training that comes with that. I don't think this was a training issue per-say, I think I just put my head up my A and was lucky that it did not get lopped off. :faint:

Cochese
08-18-2011, 12:37
Yeah, we can be friends. You have single handedly made me lust for a 1911 again. BUt I am not wrong handed so I have a few more options open to me than a $2500 9mm.

BTW, I too am in the process of doing an SBR. I am going with a BCM 11.5" upper on my RRA NM lower. I have to submit my Form 4 and pay the FU tax and then wait.

I am doing the MagPul forearm and a TK11 in a Vikings tactics mount. I have yet to decide if I am going to do a Noveske Pig, LeVang Comp(which I already have), or just leave the A2 flash suppresor on it.

I will probably get an Aimpoint M2 or M3, or an EOTech XPS. Other than the optics I am ready to go.

I am ready to be done with the process and get my gun built.

Sounds like a winner. I think I'm sticking with an EOTech. My year is up and I can order another one for half off again. :supergrin:

God do I know a little dope is not worth my life. It was a stick head up A situation and the young dumb cop in me took over. Once I was in the situation I knew I was in a bad way. Thanks god nothing bad went down and I was able to get out of there fast. Trust me I have been kicking my own A all night and into today. I'm half pissed at my self for doing it.:steamed:

As for your questions: agency is 22 person's including command staff, back up has been screwed with so much by the command staff that no one wants to back anyone up (I will admit I did not ask), Training is relative, I look at this as training is some ways, I have 8 years on and the normal amount of training that comes with that. I don't think this was a training issue per-say, I think I just put my head up my A and was lucky that it did not get lopped off. :faint:

You have more time on than I do, and obviously know you made a mistake, so I'll shut my mouth. Just glad you weren't injured or worse. :patriot:

DaBigBR
08-18-2011, 13:49
Sounds like a winner. I think I'm sticking with an EOTech. My year is up and I can order another one for half off again. :supergrin:

Boy, are you gonna be disappointed then. The discount program still exists, but unless it's changed from last fall, it's nowhere near as big of a discount as it used to be. Seems to be closer to 20% off of their retail prices now. Changed last July, IIRC. I ordered in September.

COLOSHOOTR
08-18-2011, 13:55
I hate you. That is all.

I second what he said!!!!!!!!!

You're sure lucky! I Wish I could get training or even just work for an agency that even cares about thier troops just a little bit. Our K9 unit had three new dogs about 6 months ago and was in dire need of temps for training. The temp training is required before you can put in for any positions at the unit. Even with the serious need for a temp H/Q denied me. Then add this list to it..... Bike class- denied. Inderdiction training-Denied. Street Survival Seminar (local)- denied. Firearm instructor class- Denied. Took an Officer rescue / basic medical care class on my own because it wasn't aprroved. About all they approve is the required stuff and it's usually related to our stupid computer system that keeps getting changed because it never works right.

Cochese
08-18-2011, 14:03
Boy, are you gonna be disappointed then. The discount program still exists, but unless it's changed from last fall, it's nowhere near as big of a discount as it used to be. Seems to be closer to 20% off of their retail prices now. Changed last July, IIRC. I ordered in September.

Holy crap. Did not know that.

Did anyone ever get the skinny on Aimpoints LEOFI discount?

Worst case scenario, I can pull the XPS off of my 14.5 upper. Meh.

I second what he said!!!!!!!!!

You're sure lucky! I Wish I could get training or even just work for an agency that even cares about thier troops just a little bit. Our K9 unit had three new dogs about 6 months ago and was in dire need of temps for training. The temp training is required before you can put in for any positions at the unit. Even with the serious need for a temp H/Q denied me. Then add this list to it..... Bike class- denied. Inderdiction training-Denied. Street Survival Seminar (local)- denied. Firearm instructor class- Denied. Took an Officer rescue / basic medical care class on my own because it wasn't aprroved. About all they approve is the required stuff and it's usually related to our stupid computer system that keeps getting changed because it never works right.

I guess now isn't a good time to mention I just put in for FTO and hostage negotiator? There are also a few positions on the negotiations team that are cross trained in SWAT. I went through an abbreviated school put on by Metro for our agency when I was with Shotgun's Police Department. They didn't give us a certificate.

I would attend T/N's school if accepted. Not sure how many are trying out.

I almost got on with your department, too. You know, we're hiring laterals. We top out at $5,900 a month. They would scoop you up in a minute.

All you'd have to do is throw some patches on your shirts, learn to say code 3 instead of code 10, stop saying I'm code 6 (means crazy person here), and switch from back in to "no report, end call." :puking:

RetailNinja
08-18-2011, 18:13
I switched from Nights to Days after almost 4 years.

Wow.

Everybody speeds.

DaBigBR
08-18-2011, 18:17
Tonight (Thursday night) is my first day back. This is dorm move in weekend around here, and although we are not a university police department, it has a big impact on the area. Next weekend (weekend after first week of classes) is always a giant mess.

BIGGUNS911
08-18-2011, 20:47
You have more time on than I do, and obviously know you made a mistake, so I'll shut my mouth. Just glad you weren't injured or worse. :patriot:[/QUOTE]

Ya I called one of my good friends today and talked it over with him. We both kicked my A. Thanks for the thoughts and concern, stay safe.

MeefZah
08-18-2011, 22:26
Tonight (Thursday night) is my first day back. This is dorm move in weekend around here, and although we are not a university police department, it has a big impact on the area. Next weekend (weekend after first week of classes) is always a giant mess.

Ditto.

golls17
08-18-2011, 22:51
My "Thursday" night started with babysitting a dead lady until the ME showed up, and that pretty much set the tone for the night. Went call-to-call. Got no work done, but it went by fast...

Kahr_Glockman
08-19-2011, 07:17
My "Thursday" night started with babysitting a dead lady until the ME showed up, and that pretty much set the tone for the night. Went call-to-call. Got no work done, but it went by fast...

I hate when that happens. Back in May I was writing some reports at the beginning of my shift. I got a call for an abandoned motorcycle. Upon arrival I discovered two corpses that had a fatal encounter with a grove of cedar trees. I was on that crash scene till 1330 hrs. Totally caught me off guard. People leaving the scene of a vehicle crash is fairly common here. Avoid the DWI, and then report the vehicle stolen to get the insurance to cover the damage. That is what I thought it was in this case.

I didnt sign up for this to see bodies hanging in trees. Oh well.

pal2511
08-19-2011, 07:33
Are you sure you're not in OK? :rofl:

Where you at in ok?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

COLOSHOOTR
08-20-2011, 03:53
Holy crap. Did not know that.

Did anyone ever get the skinny on Aimpoints LEOFI discount?

Worst case scenario, I can pull the XPS off of my 14.5 upper. Meh.

I guess now isn't a good time to mention I just put in for FTO and hostage negotiator? There are also a few positions on the negotiations team that are cross trained in SWAT. I went through an abbreviated school put on by Metro for our agency when I was with Shotgun's Police Department. They didn't give us a certificate.

I would attend T/N's school if accepted. Not sure how many are trying out.

I almost got on with your department, too. You know, we're hiring laterals. We top out at $5,900 a month. They would scoop you up in a minute.

All you'd have to do is throw some patches on your shirts, learn to say code 3 instead of code 10, stop saying I'm code 6 (means crazy person here), and switch from back in to "no report, end call." :puking:

I think I can make the needed adjustments... lol Only question is how's your K9 unit? If the answer is a good one I may have to jump ship!

Cochese
08-20-2011, 03:56
I think I can make the needed adjustments... lol Only question is how's your K9 unit? If the answer is a good one I may have to jump ship!

We are going to council to ask for a third dog. Overall, they do good work. Both current handlers are new. Dogs are young and still learning, but good overall. Come on over. :supergrin:

COLOSHOOTR
08-20-2011, 04:00
I'm definatly interested... It's getting to the point I gotta get out of this go nowhere dump. The only good thing about where I work is it's busy and I work in gang central so there is no shortage of fun around here.