Alabama Purple Heart help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Purple Heart help

LilCop2002
08-18-2011, 18:20
Folks,

I have a problem that is a big deal to me personally and professionally and after reading what is happening, you'll feel it too...

As you all probably know, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, was hit with some nasty weather earlier this year and in April a tornado ripped up the city and surrounding areas killing around 300 people, injuring hundreds more, and causing huge financial chaos and loss.

A military friend of mine has come upon a Purple Heart Ribbon and a name that was found in the rubble. So far, she has run into several roadblocks in getting this ribbon back to the rightful owner. So far, she has made contact with the National Personnel Records Center who told her that the family of the individual can request one if they decide to do so. Obviously, they missed the whole point of what she is doing.

What can she do with a name so she may try to return it to the recipient or his/her family? As of now, I have mentioned she call her local PD to see if they can/will assist her. If I recall correctly, she lives in Birmingham.

Any help to get this Wounded Warrior their ribbon would be highly appreciated!

blueiron
08-18-2011, 19:57
Contact the local congressional office of a Representative or Senator. A few calls from their office to NMRC should shake loose a name and information.

MakeMineA10mm
08-18-2011, 21:32
In the "good ol' days" decorations were named on the back of the medal's pendant and/or there was a number stamped in the side of the medallion and this number was recorded. If this is a newer medal, it may not be engraved and it's probably NOT numbered.

You keep saying "ribbon." Is this only the ribbon that goes on the ribbon bar of a Class A uniform, or is it the complete medal with ribbon and pendant? If it's just a ribbon, I'd tell her she's a wonderfully nice lady, but that these are not sentimental - the ribbons can be purchased for less than a buck at any PX and are not what came in the presentation case (most likely).

If it's the full medal, than I think what she's doing is worth it. I assume, since she has a name, it is the full medal and you are lucky has it is engraved on the back with the recipient's name. If so, why don't you have her call the local newspaper and see if they'll print a story about this medal and see if the fellow with the appropriate driver's license/ID card calls the paper to claim it? Papers often love these kinds of "human interest" stories.

merlynusn
08-19-2011, 05:24
You can always call one of the military LE agencies and see if they can help you out.

LilCop2002
08-19-2011, 06:52
I just spoke to the Captain and she says that the item to be returned is an actual medal with the name of the recipient engraved on the back side of it.

I suggested she try the local LE first, news/newspaper, then the Congressman.

I hope this helps to return this to the owner...

Cochese
08-20-2011, 00:02
Send me a PM with the recipients name, and the general area of where it was found.

I will do my best, although I can't use any LE databases. I am pretty good with deep web type stuff.

msu_grad_121
08-20-2011, 00:26
I am pretty good with deep web type stuff.

Understatement of the year! Just ask redneck1861... :rofl:

Panzergrenadier1979
08-20-2011, 02:58
Understatement of the year! Just ask redneck1861... :rofl:

:rofl:

And that was when he was bored! I'd hate to see Cochese when he's all fired up!

Cochese
08-20-2011, 09:26
:embarassed:

msu_grad_121
08-20-2011, 13:22
Just remind me to NEVER get on your bad side! And I consider myself pretty good at burning someone down emotionally. With Cochese, it's scorched ******* earth! I'd be surprised if that guy didn't try to eat himself rather than test your Google-fu once more! :rofl:

Detectorist
08-20-2011, 13:35
PM me the name. I may still have contacts at the Records Center. I used to work there.

LilCop2002
08-23-2011, 08:48
Information has been PMed to all who have requested it.

LilCop2002
08-24-2011, 13:47
Bump.

Come on, Fellas. She's hitting several roadblocks in returning this Medal.

Cochese
08-24-2011, 15:37
I got nothin. :dunno:

LilCop2002
08-24-2011, 17:13
I just resent to all.

Detectorist
08-24-2011, 17:43
I have nothing. My contact at the Records Center retired last year. I'm trying to get in touch with her to find another contact.

Does the medal have a date on it?

LilCop2002
08-24-2011, 17:48
I have nothing. My contact at the Records Center retired last year. I'm trying to get in touch with her to find another contact.

Does the medal have a date on it?

I received your PM and forwarded it to my POC.

As far as I know, the information that I sent you was the only one there.

merlynusn
08-26-2011, 09:07
Did you try AFOSI, NCIS, CID ?

Lone_Wolfe
08-26-2011, 19:17
That's probably an older medal, unless someone had the engraving done after the fact. Nowdays they don't engrave anything on them, except what's stamped on the back, "For Military Merit". I mention this because you might try asking around at local VFW's or American Legions if anyone there has heard of him. Bless you both for trying.

LilCop2002
09-18-2011, 15:52
For those who are following the story: the media in Tuscaloosa got wind of the Purple Heart found in the tornado rubble and are all over the story. We are working with them to see if someone in the local community knows more. Through a process of elimination, we think we have narrowed it down to an Amos H. McDonald, age 22, unmarried, from Virginia and enlisted in Maryland who was killed in France in 1944.

LilCop2002
09-18-2011, 15:52
9/15/2011 - 117th AIR REFUELING WING, Birmingham, Ala. -- A Purple Heart was found in the storm debris two weeks after the April 2011 tornadoes in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

The Purple Heart is believed to have been awarded to Pfc. Amos H. McDonald, an Army Soldier who was killed in action shortly after the Normandy invasion in 1944.

Volunteers found the medal in the storm debris and turned it in to Master Gunnery Sgt. Paul Kicker, who was volunteering off-duty. Kicker, a Tuscaloosa native stationed in Fla, gave the medal to Maj. Gen. Paul D. Brown, Commander of the Alabama Air National Guard, who was also volunteering off-duty. Brown shared the story with members of the 117th Air Refueling Wing, which led to a local press release.

Lori Sullivan, a local amateur genealogist, saw a Fox 6 news release on Facebook and began searching. She identified the next of kin and contacted the 117th Air Refueling Wing on Wednesday.

We are looking forward to reuniting the Purple Heart with the family. We would like to thank all of the volunteers who have been involved with this endeavor.

LilCop2002
09-18-2011, 15:53
http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2011/09/purple_heart_mcdonald.html

Most recent update...

merlynusn
09-19-2011, 08:28
awesome.

TheGreatGonzo
09-19-2011, 13:19
Outstanding!!

Lone_Wolfe
09-19-2011, 15:08
For those who are following the story: the media in Tuscaloosa got wind of the Purple Heart found in the tornado rubble and are all over the story. We are working with them to see if someone in the local community knows more. Through a process of elimination, we think we have narrowed it down to an Amos H. McDonald, age 22, unmarried, from Virginia and enlisted in Maryland who was killed in France in 1944.

Wow, that's great. I'll bet his family will be happy to have it back. :thumbsup:

CJStudent
09-19-2011, 16:03
Glad to hear it!