Dep't of the Army police officer dies in Arizona [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dep't of the Army police officer dies in Arizona

blueiron
08-18-2011, 19:52
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/08/18/20110818arizona-civilian-officer-dies-huachuca.html

The fire service has mandatory medical exams. Perhaps it is time to consider it in policing.

:fallenofficer:

RussP
08-18-2011, 20:10
http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=218499&stc=1&d=1313896134

Prayers...

BIGGUNS911
08-18-2011, 20:52
Vary sad but in realty he was a time bomb just looking for a place to go off. That kind of stuff does not go down unless you have family history. Sorry to hear this go down that sucks.

MeefZah
08-18-2011, 22:38
**** them Cooper standards, man.

Who the hell ever chased a guy on foot for 1.5 miles, anyway?

RIP, brother.

Fireplug
08-19-2011, 00:05

G27Chief
08-19-2011, 02:41
:fallenofficer: Prayers

Good post MeefZah; I foggedly recall running in my youth for Uncle Sam and health. Knees, hips and back show it too.

Panzergrenadier1979
08-19-2011, 03:02
Rest in peace Brother.

Ajon412
08-19-2011, 03:28
**** them Cooper standards, man.

Who the hell ever chased a guy on foot for 1.5 miles, anyway?

RIP, brother.

That's alomst as bad as the 300 yard dash...Who the heck dashes in 300 yards anyway???

Prayers sent......:fallenofficer:

merlynusn
08-19-2011, 05:11
Yeah. I agree. My longest sprint is about 100-200 yards and then it becomes a distance race with my longest at around 3/4 of a mile. And I was done after it.

pgg00
08-19-2011, 05:16

Hack
08-19-2011, 07:02
Sometimes it is simply genetic flaws that cause it.

txleapd
08-19-2011, 07:04
RIP, Brother... :fallenofficer:

MedicOni
08-19-2011, 11:42
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/08/18/20110818arizona-civilian-officer-dies-huachuca.html

The fire service has mandatory medical exams. Perhaps it is time to consider it in policing.

But you still hear stories of FFs or EMTs dying of an massive MI on the way to, during, or just after a call.

RIP to the officer :(

blueiron
08-19-2011, 12:48
Having seen the numbers of Firefighters who die from non-trauma cardiac incidents, most of them are volunteers. In 2005, a total of 115 on duty deaths occurred and 70% of those were volunteers [81] and many volunteers serve as line firefighters well past 50 years of age. ( www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe078008 ) The career fire service requires annual physicals and frankly, LE should as well.

To suggest that cardiac incidents are an inevitable and random act left to genetics and absolute chance is to willingly disregard medical science and the best industry practices of law enforcement. It took a generation of cops being killed or injured by gunfire before body armor was accepted by the line officers - before that [I remember the graveyard stoicism in briefing rooms and at cop funerals], it was well.... if a bullet has your name on it; if they know about armor they'll shoot for the head; they are hot; they might not really work; etc. All of the logic behind these reasons was asinine.

I have no idea if this officer was below/average/above physically fit or was predisposed to or had existing coronary disease. He may have had external stressors, eaten poorly his entire life, or had a myriad of other possible factors. One thing is certain - he died on the job and it was unnecessary and possibly preventable. We use medical examinations as a tool to ensure that applicants are physically capable of performing the job and it is in every serving cops best interest that their partners and back ups are going to survive mild to moderate physical exertion such as a short foot chase, a team arrest situation, or a one on one resistive arrest.

Shrugging our collective shoulders and implying that he was physically weak, destined to die that way, or part of the cost of doing business is a disservice to current cops and those who will become cops.

Hack
08-19-2011, 15:48
Well, sometimes genetic flaws does actually play a part. I knew of a fellow who was a very active runner. He nearly died from a heart attack at 31. He was fitted with a pace maker. I'm not saying that is always the cause, and it is I imagine a rarer incident than people just being out of shape, not enough rest and what have you. I knew of one here personally who died because he had a widow maker in his heart, (blood clot that got loose and did extreme damage). What caused the widow maker I have no knowledge of, but he too was in decent shape, on SORT and what have you. So, it could have been genetic, or it may have been contributed by a prescription medicine over long term usage. He was in his late 30's IIRC. And, sometimes it is best to just say that it was his time. We know not what life holds for us, and it is just a vapour in light of eternity; whether it is a short life, or a longer one.

If anything it teaches me not only to try to get in shape, (which I am working on currently), but to also cherish each day, for I am not promised tomorrow on the earth.