Mr. Ayoob, [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Ayoob,

3000fps
08-19-2011, 00:24
What is your opinion on the following incident,

I am curious as to any cases you have seen of over-penetration and when it is most common to happen. I was worrying about carrying 180 Gold Dots, thinking they are heavy and would punch through too far in an attacker. I have these loaded in my Glock 23 CCW weapon, but now after seeing this, the bonded rounds don't perform so badly.

Your opinions for bonded rounds for self defense?

Here is what sparked my interest. Don't know if you've seen it but be aware once you get to the bottom, it is graphic. Not safe for younger children, work, or lunch time.

http://concealedcarryholsters.org/wp-content/files/FBI-Analysis-on-PA-Police-Shootout.pdf

- Thank you so much in advance Mr. Ayoob, you are an inspiration and a motivation to me. I am a LEO in training and hope some day to acquire 1/4 the amount of knowledge that you have obtained. God Bless

Mas Ayoob
08-19-2011, 22:21
3000fps, that case and the urban myths that developed around it have been circulating the net for a while.

180 grain subsonic .40 JHP has been known to overpenetrate, but it's probably the single most widely used loading in the caliber and hasn't triggered a massive epidemic of over-penetration disasters involving corollary targets.

I personally prefer something with a little less penetration, but carrying the 180 grain Gold Dot using this load would not keep me awake nights.

best,
Mas