Would a Florida Cop Please Explain This Sign [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would a Florida Cop Please Explain This Sign

RussP
08-19-2011, 05:30
There is a thread in Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1363649) about this sign:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h312/tadbart/walgreens.jpg

Any Florida cop who knows the purpose and legal significance of the sign please come and explain it. :supergrin:

dreis454
08-19-2011, 05:44
I am NOT a LEO or live in Florida but I've heard of these kinds of signs.

That Walgreen's has set aside some space where local LE can receive info & other LEO items (for lack of a better word) i think it can also be used as a mini station for a SHTF event.

Bodyarmorguy
08-19-2011, 05:45
This could be viewed a few ways:

1) Attempt to deter robberies by leading bad guys to believe that the Police are in an out of the store on a frequent basis.

2) It could be an attempt by management to deter persons from carrying a legally concealed handgun by making someone "believe" that it meets the exemption statute.

a) I have been a LEO since 1984, I am not a lawyer, but my interpretation of the statute is that it must be an actual Police Station, Sheriffs Office, Highway Patrol Station, etc. This is a pretty generic sign that appears to have no official relationship with any law enforcement agency. If I were called upon to enforce it as a no carry zone, I would decline to do so.

txleapd
08-19-2011, 05:49
Not a Florida cop either, but I agree with dreis. We used to have similiar things. Usually it was apartment complexes that set up an apartment we could use as a kind of "field station" to write reports, run involvement checks, speak to victims, take breaks, etc.... We had a few in strip malls too. It was a community policing thing.

BamaTrooper
08-19-2011, 06:21
I think it means the police got free office space and it is in a relatively easily located, centrally situated area. I would venture to say it has a desk or two and a drop box for the PD mail.

Go in and check.

RussP
08-19-2011, 06:52
Thanks, guys.

I am familiar with setting up sub-stations in apartment complexes. In my asset management days we established several in the complexes under our oversight.

The sign is very generic and doesn't established or confirm a relationship with any agency or department. That is what is confusing some people. How specific must a "police sub-station" sign be to become enforceable is their question.

Bodyarmorguy, I'm going to cross-post your input in the CI thread. Let me know if you object and I'll remove it.

I'd appreciate more input.

Thanks

cwr
08-19-2011, 08:05
It means we probably have a desk, a place to keep some paperwork and a phone to use in the building. More importantly it's a place we can go and get out of the heat! The business likes the presence and we like the AC.

Bodyarmorguy
08-19-2011, 08:08
It means we probably have a desk, a place to keep some paperwork and a phone to use in the building. More importantly it's a place we can go and get out of the heat! The business likes the presence and we like the AC.

Chuck.....where on the East Coast? I am in Brevard.

Hedo1
08-19-2011, 08:35

That sounds like my grandpop's store in Philly when he had it. Always had coffee on in the winter and cold water in the summer as well as a bathroom for the patrolman to use. He and his brother were both retired PD. I think the bad guys crossed the street if they had to walk past.

Patchman
08-19-2011, 08:42

Ca somebody tell me if this sign is a magnet for every CCW badge carrier and police enthusiasts who are waiting for their spouses to finish shopping? And draws in the local badge bunnies also?

Sharky7
08-19-2011, 09:02
From what I hear Florida has some major problems with prescription drug abuse, pill mills, and pharmacy robberies. I would think this is Walgreens answer, setting up some space and encouraging local officers to use it as a sub-station. A good way to get some police on scene for free and provide a service to them as well.

toddmog
08-19-2011, 09:58
When I lived in IL, there was a sub-station at a local Quik Trip. I never could figure out why since this particular location was only 2 blocks from the PD.

Dragoon44
08-19-2011, 10:33
In my neck of the woods (SW Fl) you will find substations all over. Particularly Sheriffs office Substations, they have tried to save money by having businesses donate space (Like malls and shopping centers) or rent them the space at minimal costs. This reduces the Departments costs by them not having to buy or build substations themselves.

DaBigBR
08-19-2011, 11:24
The sign is very generic and doesn't established or confirm a relationship with any agency or department. That is what is confusing some people. How specific must a "police sub-station" sign be to become enforceable is their question.

What do you mean by "enforceable"? Without venturing to the CI thread my guess is that Florida permit holders can't carry in to a police station?

HotRoderX
08-19-2011, 11:29
What do you mean by "enforceable"? Without venturing to the CI thread my guess is that Florida permit holders can't carry in to a police station?

Government Building, School, and place that serves alcohol. I am not a lawyer nor did I look the law up going off the top of my head. I would assume a Police station is considered a Government building?

Just to clear up I am not being a smart ass about the police stations. Some reason I keep thinking there a state building and not a government building which may turn out to be the same thing. Either case its a common since place not to carry legal or not.

RussP
08-19-2011, 11:34
What do you mean by "enforceable"? Without venturing to the CI thread my guess is that Florida permit holders can't carry in to a police station?Correct. I should have been more specific.

DFinch
08-19-2011, 12:47
Free sandwiches?

Roering
08-19-2011, 12:51
Occasionally police will park their car in a quiet out of the way place to catch up on paperwork. Maybe Walgreen's wanted to give them a designated spot for it?

Glockdude1
08-19-2011, 13:00
Free sandwiches?

And really good coffee?

:cool:

cwr
08-19-2011, 15:47
I'm up the road in Daytona Beach. I don't have any Walgreens in my zone but there are a few in my district. I'll have to take a look and see if there are any of these signs hanging up.

BULLRUNN
08-19-2011, 15:59
We have these here a few 7-11's set up an office in a spare room for us to chill wright reports and use the phones and have a bite to eat in peace.. 7-11 got the bennies from having a patrol unit sit out front. the ones we used NEVER had any problems.. we still park cars there after dropping off bike units in the neighborhoods. GREAT deterant.. free coffee fountain drinks and a nice cool office. they even set up wyfi for us to bring in our laptops..slow night 5 cops sitting at a 7-11 deciding where we are going to go look for trouble... clean bathrooms also...OH THANK HEAVEN FOR 7-11....

krathis
08-19-2011, 17:35
I can't believe you guys dont have this where you live. It's simply a community policing tool where the local business offers up a space where you can hang, write reports, and interview people. It discourages knuckleheads (not really..but designed to) from jacking the place for oxy, although I typically only ever go there except to take dumps.

A lot of larger chain stores, strip malls, convenience stores have them.

Florida law (790.06 12(a)) prohibits carrying weapons in (among other places) Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station. I have never seen any paperwork which truly establishes these places as a legit substation, but to tell you the truth, I've never really thought about it and I dont ever remember anyone getting hooked up for it.

MooseJaw
08-19-2011, 18:04
There is a thread in Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1363649) about this sign:

Any Florida cop who knows the purpose and legal significance of the sign please come and explain it. :supergrin:

It means they got DONUTS inside!! :wavey: