Network Cable Types [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Network Cable Types

Toyman
08-19-2011, 09:39
I got some wire that the phone company used as a temp line to the house. I've got two types actually, but they appear to be four wire, NON-Twisted.

Can this be used as a network cable? It seems like it might be possible, since DSL runs through it, but I'm not familiar with the DSL signal/frequency etc as compared to standard network stuff.

The tech told me the one temp wire is CAT3. It's orange if that matters. He said I should be able to use it.

What I'm planning on doing is running a line about 200 ft to my pole barn and setting up a network attached storage out there. Kinda "slightly" offsite storage ( L O L ) to go along with my other backups.

I have an electronics background from way back, so feel free to get technical. :cool:

Detectorist
08-19-2011, 10:15
No. Even though Ethernet only uses 4 wires out of eight, you have untwisted pairs of wires and may get 'crosstalk' between them and other issues.

The minimum you should use these days is Cat 6. You can run a segment up to 300' feet away.

grokdesigns
08-19-2011, 10:17
CAT3 is only reliable to about 10Mbps, so I wouldn't use it to backup anything...

You can get 500ft of CAT5 for around $50-60. Add a little more if you want an outdoor type cable.

Toyman
08-19-2011, 10:25
CAT3 is only reliable to about 10Mbps, so I wouldn't use it to backup anything...

You can get 500ft of CAT5 for around $50-60. Add a little more if you want an outdoor type cable.

Ok, cool, thanks guys. I'll just go buy some.