TVP Vs Freeze Dried meats [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TVP Vs Freeze Dried meats

wjv
08-19-2011, 11:41
Places like THRIVE sell long term meats (beef, chicken, ham, turkey, bacon) in two formats:

TVP - dehydraded - #10 can - 45 servings for ~$11
Freeze Dried - #10 can - 48 servings for ~$45

Yes I know that TVP really isn't "meat", and that it is Textured Vegetable Protein made to look/taste like meat.

Obviously the TVP is a LOT cheaper per serving, and probably contains less fats. Anybody have experience with either of these "formats". Doesn't have to be the THRIVE brand. Mountain House, WISE and several other make similar products. . .

I'm just debating as to which product I should order. . .

quake
08-19-2011, 12:32
Fats was my first thought, since it's "meat" vs. "vegetable" being considered. More fats would actually be better when it comes to emergency food; downside is that the higher the fat, the lower (typically) the shelf life is. Don't know the shelf life of that brand, but shelf life and fat content would be the first things I'd check. Unless there's a real strong reason to go with the freeze-dried meat (greater fat content without reduced shelf life..?), a year's worth of TVP for the price of 90 day's worth of freeze-dried meat would be an easy choice for me; as long as there's no soy allergies to worry about in your family.

wjv
08-19-2011, 12:48
From the ShelfReliance web site:

10 years on TVP
25 years on Freeze Dried

I would have expected just the opposite!!!

Fortunately (or Un-Fortunately) I think that the gov debt will destroy the economy long before either of these products expire!!!

schild
08-19-2011, 16:40
A soy diet is great, for growing breasts and high in msg. YMMV

DoctaGlockta
08-19-2011, 18:05
If you are looking for a good source of protein don't forget about powdered whole eggs as an alternative. I don't know how others feel about them on this board but they can be mixed in with almost anything to boost protein - rice, beans and lentils.

Pardoner
08-19-2011, 18:20
A soy diet is great, for growing breasts and high in msg. YMMV

+1

Beat me to it...

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-19-2011, 18:57
TVP will last a long time if kept sealed. Longer than 10 years.

BUT>> you should try some and try cooking with it before you invest in a whole lot, since hopefully, you will be rotating it.. and that means eating it. If you don't like it or cooking with it...

As far as the need for oils and fats.. you should be storing those as well, again rotate. At any one time we have 4-5, 3 liter cans of EVOO and 4-5 gallons of vegetable oil and shortening in the pantry.

Bolster
08-19-2011, 22:37
I unashamedly eat a lot of TVPs, and unlike the internet rumors, phytoestrogens don't grow breasts (although a lot of flat-chested women wish they did). Cow's milk has much more estrogen in it than TVPs, and you don't see milk drinkers suddenly sprouting new boobies because they drink milk.

In TVPs basically you are getting your protein from soy beans instead of cow meat. Doesn't taste the same, but the different taste is not bad. Sure you could argue benefits and demerits, but the bottom line is the bottom line. I'd have no problem buying TVPs, myself.

Big Bird
08-20-2011, 06:44
TVP will last a long time if kept sealed. Longer than 10 years.

BUT>> you should try some and try cooking with it before you invest in a whole lot, since hopefully, you will be rotating it.. and that means eating it. If you don't like it or cooking with it...

As far as the need for oils and fats.. you should be storing those as well, again rotate. At any one time we have 4-5, 3 liter cans of EVOO and 4-5 gallons of vegetable oil and shortening in the pantry.

This!

Store what you eat--eat what you store.

Why buy survival food that you never want to touch?

You aren't going to store 10 years of food... So your time horizon is a year or two from the day SHTF...

If you store what you eat you can mostly have enough of regular food on hand to make it through a year or two. Of course you use the freeze dried eggs, meat etc to supplement an anticipated loss of fresh protein.

Cooking oils and fats will be at a premium in SHTF. Go to any third world country today and see what costs more than anything--cooking oil. During simpler times there was no such thing as corn oil, vegetable oil etc. Olive oil was around but it was a luxury. They had lard rendered from animals (MOSTLY PIGS)...that was their cooking fat. When you cooked bacon you ALWAYS saved the grease.

I keep 5 gallons of canola oil, 5 gallons of peanut oil, and a couple of gallons of olive oil on hand (and rotate and use all three)

inzone
08-20-2011, 09:21
ostensibly it has an indefinite shelf life.... I keep several cases of the stuff as an emergency backup....fried rice will keep a large group of people alive for a long time in a survival situation....and you can supplement this with what you can find.....

wjv
08-20-2011, 10:28
This!

Store what you eat--eat what you store.

Why buy survival food that you never want to touch?

Already have a years worth of food in the pantry.

Just looking at some additional options in proteins, fruits and vegetables.