NAS questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NAS questions

glockdoc21
08-19-2011, 16:00
So I'm ready to take the plunge into the world of NAS. I plan on using 2 hard drives with RAID to mirror. Besides the actual old computer, ubuntu server edition, controller and hard drives what else do I need? I'm fairly computer savvy, is this too difficult to setup? Also, if the pc had a wireless card, I should be able to access all of this on my network right? Thanks.

IndyGunFreak
08-19-2011, 16:06
So I'm ready to take the plunge into the world of NAS. I plan on using 2 hard drives with RAID to mirror. Besides the actual old computer, ubuntu server edition, controller and hard drives what else do I need? I'm fairly computer savvy, is this too difficult to setup? Also, if the pc had a wireless card, I should be able to access all of this on my network right? Thanks.

It's not hard-- At all.

I've done it w/ a software RAID (don't have a raid controller yet).. 2 drives, Raid1(mirror).. very simple.

Wireless, is almost definitely not gonna happen. It probably wouldn't be fast enough to stream media, etc.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
08-19-2011, 16:16
By the way, a good way to "learn" how to do it w/o putting it live on your server, is Virtualbox.

You might be "computer savvy", but if you've never used Linux... it's a whole new ball game using an OS that is 100% command line.

IGF