COL for Bullet works 185g .45acp and LWD Barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : COL for Bullet works 185g .45acp and LWD Barrel

barnettbill
08-19-2011, 18:27
Got my LWD barrel for the G36 today. I was loading these (http://www.thebulletworks.net/45-185-PL-FP-p/45-185%20pl%20fp.htm)with a COL of 1.237, tried fitting one of my dummy rounds that I use to set my bullet seating die into the LWD barrel and it got stuck when I chambered it (It was fun trying to rack the slide to get it unstuck, I had to field strip and use a dowell to get the bullet out). Anyway I ended up using the barrel as a case guage and the COL ended up being 1.14. Is this normal?

PCJim
08-19-2011, 20:25
"Normal"?, not quite the first word I would have used, especially in our society today. :cool:

While not familiar with that specific bullet, a quick check of Hodgdon's online reloading data for lead 45acp bullets show a COL of 1.14 for a 185gr JSWC and 1.135 for a 180gr LFP. All other bullet styles/weights for jacketed projectiles are in the expected 1.23 COL range.

You might want to check your powder manufacturer's online reference database and see what they state as COL for a 185gr LFP.

That being said, it could very well be that a short ogive on the FP is mandating that you seat the bullet deeper into the case with a correspondingly shorter COL. Definitely start your load workup at the minimum charge and work up from there.

barnettbill
08-19-2011, 21:31
When I first started with this particular bullet I "customized" it to the barrel. Did the same for my Kimber. They were both a little longer than the 1.14 specified (about 1.237) I did the "plunk" test as I don't yet have a case guage. I just thought the differece between stock barrel and Lone Wolf was a bit odd. I know that the .45 headspaces on the case mouth so I went from there. No one seems to have a COL for that particular bullet type so that is why I decided to go the route that I did. Thanks for the reply. The specs for the JSWC is probably the closest that I will get seeing as that is what I came up with using the method I used.

wdphillips
08-20-2011, 07:15
I had the same problem initially with my .45 ACP with the LW Barrel. Mine were 230gr FMJ. I had to go down to 1.22 COL to get the right "sound" and correct cycling with my G21. Like you I eventually used the LW barrel as the gauge. Several 1000 rounds later... I still build them with that COL.

squirreld
08-20-2011, 10:04
I had the same issue in the 40SW.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353444

PCJim
08-20-2011, 10:30
When I first started with this particular bullet I "customized" it to the barrel. Did the same for my Kimber. They were both a little longer than the 1.14 specified (about 1.237) I did the "plunk" test as I don't yet have a case guage. I just thought the differece between stock barrel and Lone Wolf was a bit odd. I know that the .45 headspaces on the case mouth so I went from there. No one seems to have a COL for that particular bullet type so that is why I decided to go the route that I did. Thanks for the reply. The specs for the JSWC is probably the closest that I will get seeing as that is what I came up with using the method I used.

Bill, remember that there IS a difference in powder charges between a lead/plated bullet and a jacketed bullet. Be sure you use the correct powder charge for your plated bullets.

barnettbill
08-20-2011, 13:15
Bill, remember that there IS a difference in powder charges between a lead/plated bullet and a jacketed bullet. Be sure you use the correct powder charge for your plated bullets.

Oh yea... I know :) I usually load low midrange and that seems to be good for me. Light recoil and good accuracy.

dougader
08-20-2011, 14:24
You need to make sure your dummy rounds fits the LW barrel before loading any up, as you may have figured out by now.

LW barrels have tighter chambers and shorter throats than your standard Glock barrel. You can either customize your ammmo to fit the barrel, or send your barrel back to LW with a dummy round and ask them to throat your barrel to allow for your ammo.

G36_Me
08-22-2011, 17:12
my Lone Wolf barrel for my G36 is a safe queen. I had the same issues. It is the only barrel that requires me to 'load special rounds' so I just said the hell with it.

the only rounds that would reliably shoot through the LW barrel in my G36 were 230 gr FMJ and that wasn't what I bought the barrel for.

I'm sure I could have made it work, but decided not worth the hassle. I might some day take another try.

barnettbill
08-22-2011, 17:58
my Lone Wolf barrel for my G36 is a safe queen. I had the same issues. It is the only barrel that requires me to 'load special rounds' so I just said the hell with it.

the only rounds that would reliably shoot through the LW barrel in my G36 were 230 gr FMJ and that wasn't what I bought the barrel for.

I'm sure I could have made it work, but decided not worth the hassle. I might some day take another try.

I realy dont mind doing a special load for the 36. Did you ever come up with one that works. Or should I just buy a new stock barrel? My old stock barrel has a cracked chamber...both sides.

barnettbill
08-26-2011, 17:09
Well took the G36 with the LWD barrel out to the range this afternoon. Not too bad I had a few FT Feed but I can attribute it to a bad magazine (this mag had been giving me fits before) and I think once I get a taper crimp die I will be GTG (I know, I know, I should be taper crimping anyway :whistling:)
I shot the following with little problem other than what I mentioned:

200 gr LSWC (I know, out of a glock, right :cool:)
3.8 gr Clays
Mixed brass
Tula primers
COL 1.24

AND

185 gr Plated FN
4.6 gr Clays
Mixed brass
Tula primers
COL 1.14

BTW I did polish the feedramp, throat and first 1/4 inch of the chamber.