Pest Control [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pest Control

Jerry36
08-19-2011, 23:22
How do I find out the laws around killing vermin. I have rabbits, squirrel, racoons and groundhogs in my area. Something is eating my corn. I have a large growth of corn that we grow in order to freeze enough for the entire year. Let's say a squirrel is eating my corn and I catch it in a live trap. Are there implications (legal) if I kill it? Can I shoot it with a handgun or rifle (I'm sure firing a handgun is not legal where I live because I need to be 400 yards from the nearest house and I don't have that much property. But is it different if I'm disposing of a critter and basically pointing it toward the ground?).

Basically, I'm gonna shoot whatever I catch - probably with a .22 rifle but I was wondering if I'm exposing myself to possible legal issues. For example, I looked up at Michigan DNR and squirrel season doesn't start until 9/15.

Any help in getting to the right answer would be greatly appreciated.

vafish
08-20-2011, 14:43
Most states have permits for damage control of crops.

Contact your DNR to see if they offer them.

Jerry36
08-20-2011, 22:46
Thanks. Went to the DNR website and found what I was looking for. As the landowner, I don't need a permit for the vermin I want to go after but I do need a Small Game license for all but the raccoon. I'm sure it would have never been an issue (my neighbors won't care), but I never want to do anything to jeopardize my ability to own a gun.

dp2002813
08-21-2011, 14:07
Handgun? It is most likely a squirrel or crow. Used to watch squirrel strip an ear of corn just as they are ready to pick. hehehe we started putting corn on a bungee cord from a tree for giggles...

A .22 air gun is good on squirrel. Might I recommend looking into the Crosman or Gamo line? The new nitro piston guns are quieter than the spring types and allegedly easier to shoot accurately. They also handle scopes... snipe'em. The neighbors will never know.

Found out it was something bigger? no problem. A .22 air gun can take a raccoon too.

Jerry36
08-21-2011, 23:05
Handgun came to be an option only because I'm live trapping and then shooting. I don't have time to sit and watch the corn grow. Trapped a squirrel today. Disposed of it with a single shot .22 rifle and a .22 short. Very quiet and effective.

cocked and locked
08-29-2011, 02:05
when i have ratcoons eating my corn i use the three s"s shoot shovle and shutup
lol :whistling::zipmouth:

cocked and locked
08-29-2011, 02:08
i asked my local deputy and that was his advice to solve the problem but i also live on a farm

Jerry36
08-29-2011, 18:31
Generally speaking I think I would get the same response from the local LEO's but I don't like disregarding the law without knowing the potential consequences. I know it's unlikely and I know now that I've done some reading that it is no big deal, but I don't want to be facing some sort of hunting violation (poaching?) just for something eating my corn. Thankfully, the corn has been harvested and it was a good year even with what we lost to critters. Actually, I think the biggest pest ended up being the birds. The ground vermin didn't really eat that much and they tend to eat the entire ear. The dang birds just scratched into the top of the ear - ruining a perfectly good ear of corn.

ctaggart
09-12-2011, 00:29
If you're catching critters in a live trap just throw the trap in a rain barrel and walk away. Come back 15 minutes later.

No rain barrel? Put the trap in a large trash bag and tie it closed. Poke a pin hole and spray a liberal amount of ether in the bag and walk away. Come back 15 minutes later.

Jerry36
09-12-2011, 15:45
I see that that would be effective, but wouldn't that be somewhat cruel? I'm no PETA member, but humane is necessary to me. As much as I do not like disposing of animals, I feel obligated to do it as quickly and humanely as possible.

Kegs
09-12-2011, 15:57
No, it wouldn't be cruel. That is an effective strategy.

I see that that would be effective, but wouldn't that be somewhat cruel? I'm no PETA member, but humane is necessary to me. As much as I do not like disposing of animals, I feel obligated to do it as quickly and humanely as possible.

NDCent
09-12-2011, 16:02
I hope you're eating the squirrels. Fried squirrel with taters & gravy and roastin' ears sounds mighty tasty.

bustedknee
09-12-2011, 19:30
.... Let's say a squirrel is eating my corn and I catch it in a live trap. .....

Squirrels is good eatin!

bustedknee
09-12-2011, 19:30
when i have ratcoons eating my corn i use the three s"s shoot shovle and shutup
lol :whistling::zipmouth:

Coons is good eatin!

bustedknee
09-12-2011, 19:31
.... The dang birds just scratched into the top of the ear - ruining a perfectly good ear of corn.

Young crows is good eatin!

bustedknee
09-12-2011, 19:38
I almost forgot. (All this talk about food)

If you suspect it might not be legal, it probably ain't.

But some things need to be done.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/CBee22.jpg

Esox357
09-13-2011, 23:50
Trapping may be solution? A high powered airgun would be next say a RWS or Beeman?

ctaggart
09-14-2011, 04:13
As for as ethics go, the ether will quickly overwhelm the critter and it will pass out. Relatively pain free.