Alternative SD Shotgun Load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alternative SD Shotgun Load

Dozerdog
08-20-2011, 09:11
Mr Ayoob,

I have a shotgun that I plan to set up for SD at home and wanted your opinion on using door breacher rounds as an alternative load. I don't know how effective they would be at any range, but would seem to be good at minimizing collateral damage and injury by not penetrating walls. The rounds I have seen are just prefragmented metal powder compressed into slugs.

Mas Ayoob
08-20-2011, 12:14
I dunno, bro...kinda runs afoul of the old "use things the way they're meant to be used" paradigm. I'm inclined to stick with good old fashioned buckshot,
mysef...

best,
Mas

Dozerdog
08-20-2011, 17:11
I understand what you are saying, but if that "use things the way they're meant to be used" paradigm was never challanged, we may still be using buck shot only for hunting deer. My main concern, aside from stopping the threat, was to avoid putting buckshot through the wall at lethal velocities. In a personal experiment, I was able to bust water bottles with a shotgun after the buckshot penetrated four layers of drywall. Not too happy with that result. Breaching rounds were devastating on target and didn't touch water bottles on the other side of two layers of drywall. Seemed like a potentially good alternative to buckshot.