Comprehensive reloading data needed. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive reloading data needed.

xXGearheadXx
08-21-2011, 12:27
I'm looking for the best reloading manual available. By that, i mean i'm looking for a book that's fairly comprehensive as far as bullets and powders go. Seems the data in some books (i.e. Hornady's) only lists the data for that manufacturer's bullets. Online resources from the powder manufacturers are limited in what bullets they list data for. The only company that seems to provide a comprehensive list of bullets is accurate...and i haven't found a local seller in my hometown.

Any recomendations?

jdavionic
08-21-2011, 12:29
Tagged. I have yet to find such a comprehensive manual. As a result, I own several manuals.

ColoCG
08-21-2011, 13:00
I don't think your going to find what you want, not sure about the accurate manual it's about the only one I don't have.

I like Lyman's, it list's cast bullet loads and various jacketed bullets. I'm not sure any list plated bullets.

Lee manual lists loads from different sources, but just gives bullet weights and starting load and max. It doesn't give brands.

I guess that's why I have a Speer, Hornady, Lyman, Lee, Nosler, Barnes,Hodgdon's, and an older Sierra manuals.

You might try the individual Loadbooks that are made in each caliber.

For a lot of bullets you just have to extrapolate data from bullets of same weight and shape and composition. Plated bullets should use loads between cast and jacketed bullets.

fredj338
08-21-2011, 13:05
What you want does not exist. There are bullet manuf data & one powder manuf manual (Hodgdon) as well as the powder manf sites. SO most knowledegable reloaders use multiple manuals & cross ref the powder sites. It's the best way to go. I like the Lyman #49 & Speer #14, between those two, you have most jacketed & lead data covered. ALL plated bullets fall in between the lead & jacketed data.

ron59
08-21-2011, 13:29
The only thing I found close to that is the "LoadBook" series? I have one in 9mm, think I got it from Midway.

Basically, they compile all the data from the bullet/powder manufacturer's in one place. Honestly... not sure how they haven't gotten slapped with a copyright infringement.

But really, you don't even need that. All the powder manufacturers that I've used have their own sites. They might not have *exactly* what you need, but should have something close enough to give you a start. That, with a chronograph, should be able to dial you in to your desired load. Start low, work up.

I'm glad I live in the country and can shoot over mine when I need to. No way do I load off of "feel". Start low, work up with a chrono, a good way to go about it.

I might should add that I don't feel the need to go anywhere near max with my loads. With my 9mm 147gr loads, my target velocity is always around 910fps out of my G17. That's good for almost 134PF, more than enough for accuracy and cycling the gun well.

dougader
08-21-2011, 20:40
I have Speer, Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, and Nosler. Then there's online sources from Accurate, Vihtavuori, Alliant, Hodgdon, etc.

I have passed on the Loadbooks because it seems to me they just copy and paste data from old reloading manuals, some of which is outdated and very possibly dangerous. Does anyone hear think the old Speer 8 and 11 manuals should be quoted anymore??? Not me.

There are loads in Speer 11 for 357 mag and Blue Dot that are out of sight.

fredj338
08-21-2011, 23:48
I have Speer, Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, and Nosler. Then there's online sources from Accurate, Vihtavuori, Alliant, Hodgdon, etc.

I have passed on the Loadbooks because it seems to me they just copy and paste data from old reloading manuals, some of which is outdated and very possibly dangerous. Does anyone hear think the old Speer 8 and 11 manuals should be quoted anymore??? Not me.

There are loads in Speer 11 for 357 mag and Blue Dot that are out of sight.

Plus you have to buy one for each caliber. It would be nice if some company would invest in the time, equip & money to put together such a data manual, but I doubt it ever happens.

DWARREN123
08-22-2011, 04:35
Probably the closest you will come is the Load Books. Not complete but more than most and in one or two related calibers.

steve4102
08-22-2011, 06:26
I guess you could subscribe to "LoadData.com" for $35/year. It has just about all the Reloading manuals data along with all the powder and bullet manufacturers data all on one web site.
http://www.loaddata.com/home/index.cfm?CFID=15470547&CFTOKEN=44154970

Then there is this.
http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

fredj338
08-22-2011, 09:26
I guess you could subscribe to "LoadData.com" for $35/year. It has just about all the Reloading manuals data along with all the powder and bullet manufacturers data all on one web site.
http://www.loaddata.com/home/index.cfm?CFID=15470547&CFTOKEN=44154970

Then there is this.
http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm
Nothing against Steve's site, sopme good stuff there, but it's little better than internet forum data. I prefer vetted, pressure tested data. I can guess on my own.:dunno:

Kwesi
08-22-2011, 10:16
I was going to buy a few load books until a friend loaned me his. Absolutely horrible quality printed text! Can't believe they charge for it. Use the Internet.

Zombie Steve
08-22-2011, 10:48
For a one stop shop, Lyman 49 is about as good as it gets. Different bullet manufacturers, pressures are listed, lead data, usually realisitc test barrel lengths... it's not perfect, but it's closer than most. I still use several sources other than Lyman - Speer 14, Hornady 8 and Sierra's Suite 16 software.

noylj
08-22-2011, 11:45
Almost every reloading manual covers all the jacketed bullet weights you need. If you use the same weight or slightly lighter, just start with the lowest starting load you find in your manuals. You don't need explicit load data for XYZ's xxxgn bullet if you have data for the same caliber xxxgn bullets of the same construction.
The difficulty would be getting lead bullet data. However, again, you just need data for the same weight or heavier cast/swaged lead bullets.
For plated bullets, you use lead bullet data for the same weight or heavier bullets and, in many instances, you can go up to about the mid load for the same weight or heavier jacketed bullets.
Part of reloading is knowing how to work up a load.

steve4102
08-22-2011, 18:22
Nothing against Steve's site, sopme good stuff there, but it's little better than internet forum data. I prefer vetted, pressure tested data. I can guess on my own.:dunno:

I would agree, Fred. But if you analyze Steve's data real close you will find that every load listed on his web site can be verified in some manual somewhere.

Colorado4Wheel
08-22-2011, 18:49
Seems the data in some books (i.e. Hornady's) only lists the data for that manufacturer's bullets.

Any recomendations?

Lyman because the only bullets they "make" are lead. And then you have to make them yourself.

GIockGuy24
08-22-2011, 19:24
About 20 years ago Hodgdon had a hard cover manual with powders from all the major powder makers, not just their own powders. It was their own data so you could compare the different powders in the same testing conditions. The load data was rounded off but was very useful working up loads in the ranges given. Hodgdon has since gone to a magazine format load guide and only has powders they sell now. The load data can't even be directly compared anymore because the Hodgdon powders are from Hodgdon's testing, the Winchester powders are from Winchester's testing and the IMR powders are from IMR's testing. All using different components and pressure testing.

The Lee manual is just reprinted load data from the different powder companies. A lot of it is not as current as the load data directly from the powder companies. The powder companies publish all of their load data on the internet. I use the powder company load data for handgun loads. I like the bullet company load data for rifle loads.

The Lyman manual has about the most well rounded data. There are certain aspects of it that are a bit limited though. The Speer manual has some of the hottest handgun data if you are looking for hot handgun loads. The Nosler manual while mostly rifle data has some high end handgun loads that aren't over the top. The Sierra rifle data seems to be the most accurate as far as pressure and velocity results. The Hornady manual has some good and some off load data. The Hornady manual is good for using Hornady bullets that seem a bit different from "standard" ones as far as seating depth design or bullet shape. I think Lyman and Sierra are the most useful.

atakawow
08-22-2011, 21:16
If you are looking for lead data, there is no better or more comprehensive site/manual compared to this here: http://www.castpics.net/.

Of course, common sense would dictate that you are required to cross-check it with a published source.

nc910
08-22-2011, 21:26
Tagged. I seriously doubt that such a beast exists, but I remain cautiously optimistic. FWIW, the two best manuals that I've found are the newest Lyman and Sierra ones.

---

Is it me or does it seem like there were a hundred new awesome powders released in the last year or so that don't show up in any of the manuals? Trying to find load data for 8208 XBR (outside of the IMR site) is driving me crazy.