Question on what to do. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question on what to do.

GeorgiaRedfish
08-21-2011, 15:37
Okay, so I am driving with my Fiance to the local park, and in the entrance we see a guy who over corrected on a dirt road and got his SUV stuck bad. I stopped to see if he need help, It was evident that he was intoxicated, and then he told me he had too much to drink. So I drove down a little bit where I could see him, and called the locals about him, I gave him the vehicle info/description and the man's description. Then I walked off, knowing we were right next to the PD and he couldn't drive, me and my fiance had the discussion about if we should stay or not, I said let's just get out of their hair.

I know if it is something serious where they need an eye witness I should stay, but I didn't think so for this. I did talk to the cop on the way out about it, the guy was drunk and high and had some drugs the officer said. SO what do would you'll prefer some one do with a situation like this? Just curious, thanks guys.

MeefZah
08-21-2011, 15:42
I wouldn't stick around.

Make the call, give them all the info, leave.

Sticking around when no one really needs assistance only brings with it the potential for you and the dirtbag to get into a confrontation. I always look at it like: "What's my end game, here?". If I stick around and he tries to leave, then I get into a confrontation with him to detain him and bad things happen one way or another.

Now, if someone is injured, or you otherwise are compelled to render assistence, that's different.

GeorgiaRedfish
08-21-2011, 15:45
That is what I figured, that is why I left. Thanks.

ray9898
08-21-2011, 16:06
Yeah....you did fine in a situation like that. If it is something such as this where I can investigate and make the case myself then the witness is not really that important. However, if it is a situation where I need the witness to make the case then I always hope the witness will be available.

collim1
08-21-2011, 19:16
True story...I lost a DUI in court once in the same situation.

Drunk guy stuck in the mud on the shoulder of the road (after losing it and leaving the road) spinning tires like all hell trying to get. Hooked him up on DUI, blew over the limit, went to court.

His attorney argued he couldn't have been in control of the vehicle if it was stuck in the mud.

Judge bought it and rapped the gavel not guilty. I had a good chuckle when I got home after that one.

ateamer
08-21-2011, 19:48

Drunk guy stuck in the mud on the shoulder of the road (after losing it and leaving the road) spinning tires like all hell trying to get. Hooked him up on DUI, blew over the limit, went to court.

His attorney argued he couldn't have been in control of the vehicle if it was stuck in the mud.

Judge bought it and rapped the gavel not guilty. I had a good chuckle when I got home after that one.
Useless prosecutor there, if he wasn't able to argue what the definition of "in control of a vehicle" is. Sounds like a lazy DA, lazy judge and a public pretender who's just been lucky enough to be going up against a couple of loads.

txleapd
08-22-2011, 02:45
I would have walked back and told him, "Hey buddy, I made an appointment for you." Then walked away.

:whistling:

MeefZah
08-22-2011, 06:02

We had a similar one - guy on a motorcycle was driving on the right side of the white fog line and was ultimately stopped, arrested for OVI and DUS. Judge tossed it. "He wasn't operating on the road." :upeyes:

Edit, sorry, just realized / recalled he was DUS only, not OVI.

SCSU74
08-22-2011, 10:39
i probably wouldn't have stopped... more likely would have called a buddy that was working and gave him a heads up

OXCOPS
08-22-2011, 11:06
i probably wouldn't have stopped... more likely would have called a buddy that was working and gave him a heads up

Yep. Let on duty shift handle it. Next day back, write a supplemental report. Then, go to court, testify and collect OT.

Gangrel
08-22-2011, 11:16
Stop and watch from a distance if you want to help them with prosecution.

Aaaaand that's... awesome Collim. So basically everyone that ever caused a crash shouldn't be held liable because clearly they weren't in control of their vehicles either!