Oh, thank god... back in municipal LE... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Oh, thank god... back in municipal LE...

MeefZah
08-21-2011, 16:00
I worked eleven years full time municipal LE with one agency from 1999 until early 2010. Had some issues with the boss, and showed myself to the door.

I took a job working as a university officer in mid-2010. University LE can be fun, it certainly had it's moments, and I still got to do a bit of "real" cop work backing up the municipality that the university is in. But... it's not municipal LE, and I missed the hell outta it.

Then, in early 2011, I took a part time job with the state as a police officer for the Department of Mental Health, 16 hours a week. For the past seven months I've been running back and forth between both jobs, typically working 60+ hours a week. The DMH Police job also offered some entertainment, but sure as hell wasn't where I wanted to be.

Over the 18 months between February 2010 and now, I've continued to apply at various municipal agencies, trying to get back into it. For several reasons, not the least of which is the turbulent economy and the glut of applicants in Ohio, I had a hard time making progress.

I did keep pretty detailed notes of my applications and status at various agencies (over the span of 18 months):

Miles driven for applications, testing, interviews: 4,000+
Applications filed: 150
Tests taken: 26
Interviews: 21

This means I was averaging 1 application every 4 days, a test every 20 days, and an interview every 25 days for the last 540 days. Needless to say, I got pretty good at cranking out apps and answering interviewers. My test taking skills have reached the point where I am almost always in the top 3 candidates for every position now. I've gotten real close to several positions, but they always fell through.

At any rate, I finally, finally, secured a full time municipal job with a small city in eastern Ohio. They were looking to hire pretty quickly since their previous civil service test had expired and they had an opening. I tested, scored in the upper level (they wouldn't release the exact rankings), interviewed, got a conditional offer, passed the poly and psych, and have been hired. The entire process, from application to conditional offer, took twenty days. It went so fast I really didn't have time to think about it.

Tenative start date is September 11, 2011 - interestingly, on the ten year anniversary of 9/11.

I'm pretty excited. This is a gritty, decaying industrial city of 6000, and they have serious criminal issues there. Over 7000 criminal-based calls (not civil in nature) a year. The chief is awesome, the kind of guy you'd be lucky to work for. Money is good, benefits are decent, and there is a uniform allowance (what's that?), and full pension pickup by the city. FOP protection (I have to eat my anti-union posts now). Patrol rifles, patrol carbines (Beretta Storm, I think), tasers. Lots of toys. Relaxed uniform policy allows normal uniforms and external vest carriers / BDUs. K9 on duty when I am. FTO is projected to be just 6 weeks given my previous experience. Should be a good time!

I've given notice to both the state and the university, and am looking forward to getting back into municipal LE in what promises to be one busy little place. I am staying on part time at the university, just to keep a continuity of employment, since I was there just under a year.

For those of you still looking... keep the faith, brothers. Keep applying and testing, something will come along. If you are dedicated to being a cop, it's hard to keep you down forever.

Vigilant
08-21-2011, 16:07
Sounds like it was worth waiting for.

Best of luck.

packsaddle
08-21-2011, 16:08
congratulations, and good luck!

CJStudent
08-21-2011, 16:10
Congrats, man!

:woohoo:

MeefZah
08-21-2011, 16:17
Thanks!

SpoiledBySig
08-21-2011, 16:22
University Policing is NOTHING like a busy municipal police department.

I do less than 10% of the work I did as a city (maybe less than 5% even).

But, it's a great retirement job for cops who retired after 20-25 from a busy city, who are in their mid to late 40's.

The younger good University cops are constantly trying to get on with a city, or county LEO agency.

You're way too young now and belong in a busier city police job!

Congratulations.

JMHO :cool:

DaBigBR
08-21-2011, 16:29
Good for you, man!

Hunca Munca
08-21-2011, 16:40
Home of the penguins perhaps??

MeefZah
08-21-2011, 16:43
Home of the penguins perhaps??

Close, but no.

Ajon412
08-21-2011, 16:51
First off, Congrats Brother and it's good to see that your determination, positive attitude and perseverance paid off..:thumbsup:.... You should consider putting pen to paper regarding your pre-employment experiences. Like I've suggested to others who are in the same boat as you, DON'T GIVE UP !!!! Use those "Thanks, but no thanks" letters as motivation to keep looking even harder for a LE position.

I still got to do a bit of "real" cop work backing up the municipality that the university is in. But... it's not municipal LE, and I missed the hell outta it.

I feel your pain, as I've worked for both municipal and non-municipal PD's...

But, it's a great retirement job for cops who retired after 20-25 from a busy city, who are in their mid to late 40's.

The younger good University cops are constantly trying to get on with a city, or county LEO agency.

Congratulations.

+1.....:wavey:

Brucev
08-21-2011, 17:12
Just found this post. Very glad for you. Good luck!

Whitey1
08-21-2011, 17:38
Congrats Meef! You're a great cop and have a true passion for LE. I can honestly say that for you it isn't about the power trip, it isn't because you enjoy giving out hickory shampoos, but it is because you actually crave the ability to help others and make a difference.

(the other stuff is just extra. lol)

Good Luck buddy!

fastbolt
08-21-2011, 18:31
Let me offer congratulations to you. I hope it's what you expect (and ultimately continue to want) for a long term position.

If you're in your 30's (or close one way or the other) I just hope you used long term financial viability of the municipality and retirement contracts as one of your primary factors when deciding where to start shot-gunning the applications to that many agencies.

You're still single?

Agent6-3/8
08-21-2011, 20:39
Awesome, news, bro! :thumbsup:

Its a bit comforting to see that I'm not the only one that has been searching long and hard to find another gig. I applied with a large municipal agency months ago (amongst other places) and had really given up hope of them actually testing. Out of the blue I got a packet of info from them yesterday. As luck would have it, testing is scheduled to start the weekend my fiancee and I were planning a little vacation. :upeyes: Still, I'm thrilled to at least be testing and the trip can be rescheduled.

bccop
08-21-2011, 20:43
And... patrol rifles, patrol carbines (Beretta Storm, I think), tasers! :cool:

You should get yourself one of those nice double action only Berettas so the mags are interchangeable and you get used to that nice heavy trigger pull everytime... :whistling:

I carried a Beretta 96D for the first 8 years and my pet name was "that fu*#ing boat anchor on my hip."

Congrats!!!! :cool:

Hunca Munca
08-21-2011, 20:52
Close, but no.

Well, Youngstown is a dump....

Congrats on the job!

JohnnyReb
08-21-2011, 21:02
Awesome, news, bro! :thumbsup:

Its a bit comforting to see that I'm not the only one that has been searching long and hard to find another gig. I applied with a large municipal agency months ago (amongst other places) and had really given up hope of them actually testing. Out of the blue I got a packet of info from them yesterday. As luck would have it, testing is scheduled to start the weekend my fiancee and I were planning a little vacation. :upeyes: Still, I'm thrilled to at least be testing and the trip can be rescheduled.

I applied with a small 16 member agency, and got the call a few days ago that their agility test was when I was supposed to leave for competition coon hunting at Autumn Oaks in Indiana. I'll miss out at a trip I have been planning for months, to compete for one opening. I really hope its going to be worth it...

Snowman92D
08-21-2011, 21:25
Glad you caught a break finally! :thumbsup:

You get credit for the 11 years you already had in the state pension system...?

msu_grad_121
08-21-2011, 21:27
I carried a Beretta 96D for the first 8 years and my pet name was "that fu*#ing boat anchor on my hip."

That was my name for the H&K USP 45 I carried for a few years. REALLY sucked during plainclothes details. Maybe it's just cuz I'm not an operator.

Anyway, congrats on the job! The way things are in Ohio (and Michigan), you really hit the jackpot. With any luck, I'll be posting something like this soon.

groovyash
08-21-2011, 21:27

Congratulations.

I think it largely depends on where you are working with university policing. I worked for a large inner city univ. P.D. which covered about 2 square miles of city as it's jurisdiction before moving to the city dept itself. Now I'm looking to hopefully move to a suburban municipal dept in the next few years. To be honest at the Univ. PD I easily did two to three times as much actual police work as I will at nearly any department other than my current one. My former univ dept had OISs, pursuits, etc more than occasionally while I was there. We averaged just under 1000 arrests a year. Hell I always laugh that they had ARs in their cars before we got them in the city.

Conversely there were other univ depts in the city that were essentially security with arrest powers, i.e. never handled anything but what was on their property as opposed to their full jurisdiction, didn't really run traffic, etc.

Don't get me wrong there was a fair amount of BS there too, but I still get a little bit defensive when people make the blanket statement that muni and uni police are always different experiences. At least in this area the majority of municipal jobs outside of the city and a few boroughs are much less busy.

Sharky7
08-21-2011, 22:49
Woot Woot!!!

Congrats man! :yourock::yourock:

nitesite10mm
08-21-2011, 22:54
Meef~

I couldn't be happier for you, Brother! That's really great news.

Ohio has been a state in which its people have struggled for good jobs for 30 years. That you rose to the top and succeeded says a lot about you.

Congrats, man!

MeefZah
08-22-2011, 05:59
Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Insert dancing banana or whatever, here)

You get credit for the 11 years you already had in the state pension system...?

Sure do Keith; and I actually have 3 years before that in PERS, and some part time in PERS-LE, and it all counts! Even my 1600 hours of sick leave transfer over.

Its a bit comforting to see that I'm not the only one that has been searching long and hard to find another gig.

FYI, Wheeling is testing in September and they have immediate openings, last test they were giving a $2000 (I think) bonus to WV certified applicants.

You should get yourself one of those nice double action only Berettas so the mags are interchangeable and you get used to that nice heavy trigger pull everytime... :whistling:

Ha, actually, they issue SIG (similar double action boat anchor), but you are authorized to carry Glock, HK, Smith, the major reputable brands. I'll stick with my 19 / 26 combo.

Let me offer congratulations to you. I hope it's what you expect (and ultimately continue to want) for a long term position.

If you're in your 30's (or close one way or the other) I just hope you used long term financial viability of the municipality and retirement contracts as one of your primary factors when deciding where to start shot-gunning the applications to that many agencies.

You're still single?

Well, around here, beggars can't be choosers, so honestly none of that came under consideration. It looks like I lucked out as far as "long term financial viability" and so forth though.

I'm married; she is an RN.

Congrats Meef! You're a great cop and have a true passion for LE. I can honestly say that for you it isn't about the power trip, it isn't because you enjoy giving out hickory shampoos, but it is because you actually crave the ability to help others and make a difference.

(the other stuff is just extra. lol)

Good Luck buddy!

Thanks Adam, I appreciate it, bro!

While I shall not tell the agency name, I will say it is on a major waterway. :cool:

DPRankin85
08-22-2011, 12:52

Congrats on the job!

:rofl: watch it!

Snowman92D
08-22-2011, 13:09

I'm glad to hear you're not single. Don't need for you to be at a brand new job and the women there passing you from one to another like a hotdog at a baseball game. :whistling:

MeefZah
08-22-2011, 13:23
I'm glad to hear you're not single. Don't need for you to be at a brand new job and the women there passing you from one to another like a hotdog at a baseball game. :whistling:

Hmmmm......

Snowman92D
08-22-2011, 13:50
Hmmmm......

Put it outta your mind. You have to uphold the moral and professional standards we all hold so dear. Think how bad you'd feel if you caved in and were reduced to the level of a $2 horizontal jezebel for a bunch of high dominance women? :sadangel:

MeefZah
08-22-2011, 13:53
Put it outta your mind. You have to uphold the moral and professional standards we all hold so dear. Think how bad you'd feel if you caved in and were reduced to the level of a $2 horizontal jezebel for a bunch of high dominance women? :sadangel:

I'm gonna change my user title to "Horizontal Jezebel" now.

Snowman92D
08-22-2011, 14:01
I'm gonna change my user title to "Horizontal Jezebel" now.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HexHead
08-22-2011, 14:25
In case anyone is interested, I read in the newspaper about a week ago that the TN Highway Patrol is hiring.

seanmac45
08-22-2011, 14:48
Congratulations, sir.

You are living proof that tenacity brings its' own rewards. I'm going through the phase of actually missing the Job right now so I will live a little vicariously through you LOL.

In 72 hours or so I will snap out of it and resume my enjoyment of retirement...................

SpoiledBySig
08-22-2011, 15:40
I think it largely depends on where you are working with university policing. I worked for a large inner city univ. P.D. which covered about 2 square miles of city as it's jurisdiction before moving to the city dept itself. Now I'm looking to hopefully move to a suburban municipal dept in the next few years. To be honest at the Univ. PD I easily did two to three times as much actual police work as I will at nearly any department other than my current one. My former univ dept had OISs, pursuits, etc more than occasionally while I was there. We averaged just under 1000 arrests a year. Hell I always laugh that they had ARs in their cars before we got them in the city.

Conversely there were other univ depts in the city that were essentially security with arrest powers, i.e. never handled anything but what was on their property as opposed to their full jurisdiction, didn't really run traffic, etc.

Don't get me wrong there was a fair amount of BS there too, but I still get a little bit defensive when people make the blanket statement that muni and uni police are always different experiences. At least in this area the majority of municipal jobs outside of the city and a few boroughs are much less busy.

I certainly apologize for making such a blanket statement. Never meant to offend anybody. You're right, some University Police departments are probably busier than others. The two experiences (muni vs. uni) were different like night and day, at least for me. :wavey:

Whitey1
08-22-2011, 19:20

Where do they do that at? Are they hiring?

:whistling:

Glocker1984
08-22-2011, 19:22
Congrats!! :wavey:

steveksux
08-22-2011, 19:55
Congrats! Persistence pays off... :wavey:

Randy

Snowman92D
08-23-2011, 00:56
Where do they do that at? Are they hiring?

:whistling:

You and the OP need to compare notes. I never had the luck he has. When I was a young copper it could have been raining hookers and I'd have got stuck with a lesbo with lockjaw. :faint:

SAR
08-23-2011, 01:21
Congratulations, I'm really happy for you. My next move will be a lateral transfer to the recreational sector....

OldCurlyWolf
08-23-2011, 13:10
I worked eleven years full time municipal LE with one agency from 1999 until early 2010. Had some issues with the boss, and showed myself to the door.

I took a job working as a university officer in mid-2010. University LE can be fun, it certainly had it's moments, and I still got to do a bit of "real" cop work backing up the municipality that the university is in. But... it's not municipal LE, and I missed the hell outta it.

Then, in early 2011, I took a part time job with the state as a police officer for the Department of Mental Health, 16 hours a week. For the past seven months I've been running back and forth between both jobs, typically working 60+ hours a week. The DMH Police job also offered some entertainment, but sure as hell wasn't where I wanted to be.

Over the 18 months between February 2010 and now, I've continued to apply at various municipal agencies, trying to get back into it. For several reasons, not the least of which is the turbulent economy and the glut of applicants in Ohio, I had a hard time making progress.

I did keep pretty detailed notes of my applications and status at various agencies (over the span of 18 months):

Miles driven for applications, testing, interviews: 4,000+
Applications filed: 150
Tests taken: 26
Interviews: 21

This means I was averaging 1 application every 4 days, a test every 20 days, and an interview every 25 days for the last 540 days. Needless to say, I got pretty good at cranking out apps and answering interviewers. My test taking skills have reached the point where I am almost always in the top 3 candidates for every position now. I've gotten real close to several positions, but they always fell through.

At any rate, I finally, finally, secured a full time municipal job with a small city in eastern Ohio. They were looking to hire pretty quickly since their previous civil service test had expired and they had an opening. I tested, scored in the upper level (they wouldn't release the exact rankings), interviewed, got a conditional offer, passed the poly and psych, and have been hired. The entire process, from application to conditional offer, took twenty days. It went so fast I really didn't have time to think about it.

Tenative start date is September 11, 2011 - interestingly, on the ten year anniversary of 9/11.

I'm pretty excited. This is a gritty, decaying industrial city of 6000, and they have serious criminal issues there. Over 7000 criminal-based calls (not civil in nature) a year. The chief is awesome, the kind of guy you'd be lucky to work for. Money is good, benefits are decent, and there is a uniform allowance (what's that?), and full pension pickup by the city. FOP protection (I have to eat my anti-union posts now). Patrol rifles, patrol carbines (Beretta Storm, I think), tasers. Lots of toys. Relaxed uniform policy allows normal uniforms and external vest carriers / BDUs. K9 on duty when I am. FTO is projected to be just 6 weeks given my previous experience. Should be a good time!

I've given notice to both the state and the university, and am looking forward to getting back into municipal LE in what promises to be one busy little place. I am staying on part time at the university, just to keep a continuity of employment, since I was there just under a year.

For those of you still looking... keep the faith, brothers. Keep applying and testing, something will come along. If you are dedicated to being a cop, it's hard to keep you down forever.

Sounds great except for FOP, my experience with them leaves an extremely bad taste. Strictly politics.

fastbolt
08-23-2011, 13:55

Congrats on having an understanding wife (especially one with a career which can allow her to more easily move from one area to another).

Question of the moment, though ...

Did you meet, court and marry her after having met her while you were working as a cop? :whistling:

:rofl:

Hack
08-23-2011, 16:18
Congrats, and may it work out well for you.

Cochese
08-23-2011, 16:35
Nice work man. I'm testing for a federal position this Sunday, myself.

RocPO
08-23-2011, 19:53
Good luck bro. :wavey:

Sharky7
08-23-2011, 20:22
Give us the update in a few weeks after you get yourself planted. Definitely a good thing to have fulfillment and satisfaction in your daily work.

MeefZah
08-24-2011, 11:36
Did you meet, court and marry her after having met her while you were working as a cop? :whistling:

Ha, ha.

But... I did.

Funny story.

She was working EMS when we first met. I liked her, wanted to get to know her better, so one night I'm on duty and she was on EMS duty, and I asked her to come to dinner with me (at Subway, because I am a romantic).

I was on my way to Subway when I see a possible OVI; I try to stop the guy and he flees. I have a short pursuit which ends when he rolls his van over... resulting in getting injured... resulting in needing EMS... resulting in no dinner "date".

It worked out okay, I shmoozed her while waiting at the hospital for the idiot to get patched up before he went to jail.

CJStudent
08-24-2011, 14:16
Ha, ha.

But... I did.

Funny story.

She was working EMS when we first met. I liked her, wanted to get to know her better, so one night I'm on duty and she was on EMS duty, and I asked her to come to dinner with me (at Subway, because I am a romantic).

I was on my way to Subway when I see a possible OVI; I try to stop the guy and he flees. I have a short pursuit which ends when he rolls his van over... resulting in getting injured... resulting in needing EMS... resulting in no dinner "date".

It worked out okay, I shmoozed her while waiting at the hospital for the idiot to get patched up before he went to jail.

:rofl: Hell of a first date!

:thumbsup:

fastbolt
08-24-2011, 15:08
Yep, nurses, EMT's & dispatchers ... :whistling:

I've known many cops who ended up marrying one or another of those folks.

Occupational exposure, so to speak.

I was married for almost 10 years before I entered LE ... and managed to remain married to the same woman during my LE career. As the years passed I found that I was in what seemed to be a shrinking minority.

Luck to you in your new job. :wavey:

Sparkster
08-24-2011, 15:41
Congrats on the job but Whitey and I aren't too fond of loosing a third of the breakfast club... :steamed:

Ajon412
08-24-2011, 15:52
Nice work man. I'm testing for a federal position this Sunday, myself.

Good luck to you as well. Can you give us a hint as to which agency without having to kill us afterward? :rofl::rofl:

Cochese
08-24-2011, 15:58
Good luck to you as well. Can you give us a hint as to which agency without having to kill us afterward? :rofl::rofl:

Nope. :supergrin:

I've actually applied for about 5 federal positions and am waiting for another to open.

Secret squirrel!

Cochese
08-24-2011, 15:59
Ok.

It has a three letter acronym. :supergrin:

MeefZah
08-24-2011, 17:09
Congrats on the job but Whitey and I aren't too fond of loosing a third of the breakfast club... :steamed:

I don't forsee moving until at least 2 months, and even when I do, I'm a highly mobile guy. We'll figure something out. :wavey:

Newcop761
08-24-2011, 19:27
Ok.

It has a three letter acronym. :supergrin:

That's COLD! :wavey: