Irene may be a reality in Central Florida by Friday!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Irene may be a reality in Central Florida by Friday!!

kcb
08-21-2011, 17:13
Just no hurricane days from school!

:angel:

I kind of like that entire week off for Thanksgiving!

Not fretting yet!

Dinky
08-21-2011, 17:54
Just no hurricane days from school!

I kind of like that entire week off for Thanksgiving!

Not fretting yet!

http://bestsmileys.com/storms/1.gif

kcb
08-21-2011, 18:46
That makes me feel safer, Dinky!

:rofl:

Really, it's MUCH better than what we saw back in 2004!!!

I grew up in Central Florida from 1966.

I NEVER saw a hurricane until I saw Three...one every three weeks in 2004.

We had hurricanes, but we had thunder storms worse than those until 2004...Charley, Frances, and Jeanne.

Frances cancelled...or postponed my high school reunion.

I missed my lifelong best friend's daughters wedding when Charley struck on August 13 2004. Lisa got married the next morning. I could NOT get out of my neighborhood, let alone my town. There was no electricity...no traffic lights....in Central Florida. Her mom and I were inseparable best friends from seventh grade on. It broke my heart. I couldn't even call her mom on the phone to see if the wedding was still going to take place....no phones were working.

Trees were down everywhere. My sister lived a mile away. I couldn't get to her house.

We had no power for a week.

My daughters wanted the drama of a real hurricane. They were born and raised here and NEVER had that.

:) They never want it again, after the night of August 13, 2004. We thought that our house was going to be blown to pieces. Our roof shook. Our walls shook. We heard everything hit our roof. We already knew that our shed was gone. Our fence was gone.

Something I NEVER want to go through again!

Bodyarmorguy
08-21-2011, 18:50
Let's hope not...I live in east central FL and am in New Mexico until Thursday night, not there to help the GF prep the house and may inhibit me flying in on time

kcb
08-21-2011, 19:04
Let's hope not...I live in east central FL and am in New Mexico until Thursday night, not there to help the GF prep the house and may inhibit me flying in on time

I hope not, too!

We, however, have learned to remain in the ready mode.

We have hurricane shutters...

We have taken out all of the extra hurricane insurance that we possibly can...because we got burned in 2004.

We installed windows that are SUPPOSE to be hurricane strength...although we had to replace one after a simple thunder storm last spring :upeyes:

The BEST way to live in Florida...is always ready.

We AlWAYS stock up on canned goods in the spring.

But in all my years here....only once have we had to really use those readiness modes.

People complain when there is too much hype....and complain when we need it.

Just remain ready...and never complain when you don't need it!

I don't get it when people complain when they were ready, and didn't need it.

I'd rather be ready, and NOT need it...than not be ready and wish I'd been ready!

We were ready...in 2004 ....we'd done the drill SO many times. I'm glad we were ready...but was sad that we finally really needed to be ready!

I was thankful that all of my neighbors were also ready. We made the very best of the situation, and were drawn closer because of what happened. We joined resourses and helped each other. It actually turned into a positive situation!

We all grew closer in the weeks of the three hurricanes because we helped each other...and we were all survivors.

My husband likes to say...not ONCE did any of us ask "Where is the government and why aren't they here to help us?"

We were ready and took care of ourselves!!!

With ALL of the $$$$ we lost in damages....we never qualifed for any government reimbursement. For me and my husband....our own blood sweat and tears went into our "rebuilding" for what our insurance didn't pay for. The government didn't help us with one red cent.

Bodyarmorguy
08-21-2011, 19:10
Yeah, we are stocked with water and canned goods all the way through hurricane season, usually keep an extra 10 gallons of gas on hand, rotating it to the cars every 30 days but I think it may be low, along with the propane. Covering the windows by herself will be a pain in the arse.

kcb
08-21-2011, 19:15
Yeah, we are stocked with water and canned goods all the way through hurricane season, usually keep an extra 10 gallons of gas on hand, rotating it to the cars every 30 days but I think it may be low, along with the propane. Covering the windows by herself will be a pain in the arse.

You might contact Lowes or Home Depot.

We purchased Hurricane shutters prior to Charley...and they were the BEST money we ever invested.

I can put them up by myself...without my husband if I have to do so.

He had to work til the last minute before Charley arrived, and I had them up before he was able to get home from work.

I think that Lowes may have them in stock.

It beats fighting with plywood.

I'll try to get a photo of them in the next day or so...or go on line tomorrow.

They will also decrease your insurance.

tous
08-21-2011, 19:25
http://bestsmileys.com/storms/1.gif

That Ajax cleanin' like a white tornado? :headscratch:

kcb
08-22-2011, 17:45
They say it will be a Category 3 by the time it reaches South Florida.

Right NOW it has moved more west by northwest.

It's too early to tell what might happen yet.

HOPEFULLY, we will dodge this bullet!

<--doesn't want any more bullets!!

:scared: :faint: They are expensive!!!

rhikdavis
08-23-2011, 09:21
Now they show it missing Fla and heading right into the Carolinas.

tous
08-23-2011, 10:04
No hurricane would dare mess with DepChief.

DepChief
08-23-2011, 13:29
Now they show it missing Fla and heading right into the Carolinas.

Last computer models show it hitting us directly. Yippee!

lethal tupperwa
08-23-2011, 14:03
and while the government did NOT help you

http://sbynews.blogspot.com/2011/07/atlanta-tv-station-breaks-big-story.html

kcb
08-23-2011, 18:14
Last computer models show it hitting us directly. Yippee!

I KNOW! I saw that early this morning!

I'm so sorry! They expect it to grow stonger...or they did this monring!

I just got home, and haven't heard any updates...just hearsay from my hubby!

Praying for my friends and family in NC!!

kirgi08
08-24-2011, 02:55
Looks like ya might have left in time Karen,the last track I saw showed heading right at charlotte.Were 2 1/4 hrs west of there.Got home from securing the cabin around 2300 and we've put up all the possible projectiles outside.'08.

kcb
08-24-2011, 16:48
Looks like ya might have left in time Karen,the last track I saw showed heading right at charlotte.Were 2 1/4 hrs west of there.Got home from securing the cabin around 2300 and we've put up all the possible projectiles outside.'08.

Yeah, we did. Do you think you will feel it in the Western part of the state?

We have dodged the bullet here! :angel:

Some people STILL think we will have a very rainy weekend, but I'm thinking not so much.

They expect squall lines on our coast by tomorrow. We are about 60 miles from the coast...straight line. Not so sure we'll feel much.

I pray that Irene keeps drifting to the east and stays away from the mainland USA!

kirgi08
08-24-2011, 23:49
I don't know,I really don't.I was raised down in Fla and have realized that a cane will do anything all at the same time.'08.