Do you use a barrel clamp? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a barrel clamp?

Brad737
08-21-2011, 18:39
Hello all,
I've been slowly trying to optimize my Remington 870 for a HD role. Here she is so far:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/bradspence/Remington870ExpressTactical.jpg

I've purchased a Wilson Combat +2 magazine extension. I've received it, and will have it installed this week. (My gun has those detents that need to be drilled out, and I don't want to do that myself.) I've also ordered an XS Big Dot glue-on tritium sight, but that hasn't arrived yet. I've also decided to send the barrel to get Pro-ported by Magnaport.

I'm thinking about adding one of those clamps that secure the magazine extension to the barrel. I don't really see how it could hurt, but I don't want to add any "fluff" that won't improve my weapon. I've looked at a few, but I'm not sure that this is really even necessary. Another consideration is that I'm not sure how far back the porting will go, and if it will reduce the amount of real estate to mount a clamp. What do you all think? Can you weigh in on pros and cons?
Thanks,
Brad

k594
08-21-2011, 19:19
my 870 express came with a mag extension and the barrel clamp installed, i don't see that it would cause any issues, having one or not is a matter of preference i think it wont really effect the performance either way.. i could b wrong though :wavey:

deputy tom
08-21-2011, 19:54
I've read that using the bbl. clamp eliminates the chance of bending the threads at the end of the mag. tube when you bang the extension off of a barricade or wall,etc.I have always used the clamp in the past thirty some years.YMMV.tom.:cool:

cloudbuster
08-21-2011, 20:33
I have a three-gap barrel clamp that's nice -- goes around the barrel, the mag extension and clamps a light in place.

22highcaps
08-21-2011, 20:43
I use a Clark clamp with a Wilson +2.

On another gun I have the factory extension and clamp.

In both cases they give me peace of mind.

aippi
08-21-2011, 20:55
There is no need for a barrel bracket with the Wilson Extension. That is why you get the Wilson because it has a stand alone mag tube coupling and no bracket is needed.

The Remington LE extension does not have a stand alone mag tube coupling and you must use a bracket.

Aceman
08-21-2011, 22:23
One of the many reason I personally prefer Mossberg. Longer mags in some guns.

I would definitely add the mag clamp if using the +2 extension. That's just me though.

XDfense
08-22-2011, 06:53
Like aippi said, no need for the clamp on the Wilson. I have one on my 870 and it is a fine piece of equipment. Very robust.

As for not drilling out the detents yourself, it's SO easy. Don't pay to have it done. All you have to do is take a drill and drill it out. Then take a file and file the burs down. I did it in the backseat of a car.

aippi
08-22-2011, 07:03
If you simply go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and watch the "How to Video" Tube Extension Kit you will see how easy it is to remove the detents.

Also, while there click on the red link "build your weapon" scroll down and watch that Clint Smith video. You may want to read that page also. From the video and reading pages on that web site you may come to an understanding about keeping a fighting shotgun basic. This may convince you not to some of the things you are doing to this weapon.

SCSU74
08-22-2011, 10:33
i run the Wilson +2 on my duty shotgun and do not use a clamp. I bump it around quite a bit and have had no problems. Wilson is a quality ext. and you'll be fine w/o a clamp. Good call on the XS i have the same one :)

Buffering
08-22-2011, 11:43
I have a vang extension on my 870P and the Mesa barrel/extension clamp not only for the holding ability but also as the mount point for a light when I take nighttime classes. Unless you have a bonafide need (think long and hard about what's needed v. what you want) you'd might want to pass on a lot of stuff.

I like clamps being that I've seen tubes come off at the range and it's always fun to see a mag extension turned into a projectile.

Buffering
08-22-2011, 11:44
I did it in the backseat of a car.

Backseats are made for something else. Just saying....

windplex
08-22-2011, 12:33
I've read that using the bbl. clamp eliminates the chance of bending the threads at the end of the mag. tube when you bang the extension off of a barricade or wall,etc.I have always used the clamp in the past thirty some years.YMMV.tom.:cool:

i'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy when it comes to self defense -- I' going with Tom's answer. Clamp it.

aippi
08-22-2011, 12:42
There are thousands of Wilson and Van Comp extensions ( both have stand alone mag tube couplings) being used by LE0's in every type of tactical situation you can imagine and I have never seen, heard of or even a hint of any incident where the weapon was damaged. Bill Wilson and Hans Vang make duty quality products and would not sell these if they could not take the abuse. If a weapon is droped hard enough to damage it by bending the magazine tube it is going to happen with a barrel bracket or no barrel bracket. An understanding of the design of these weapons and accessories should be required before answering a post.

Buffering
08-22-2011, 16:18
Good point about the quality of good products not needing help via a barrel clamp. If I didn't want to hang a light off of mine I'd go with just the extension which comes with a very robust sling attachment for 2 point use.

22highcaps
08-22-2011, 19:03
One of the many reason I personally prefer Mossberg. Longer mags in some guns.

I would definitely add the mag clamp if using the +2 extension. That's just me though.

I would love to see a 870 barrel with a front ring for the extension like the
20" 590 barrel.

aippi
08-22-2011, 19:36
If the 870 had such a tube it would defeat the one of the best benifits of the design of this weapon. There are 110 different 12ga 870 barrel. One gun with several barrels and you have a shotgun for any use. HD, wing shooting and big game. Have a one piece tube on the weapon and defeat the ease of barrel changes. Not worth it my opinion as the quality extension out there make a one piece tube not needed.

Brad737
08-22-2011, 19:46
Well gents, I just got home from my trip and inspected the Wilson extension. I agree it seems like a pretty good piece of gear. I appreciate all of the info, but it sure seems to me like I won't need to bother with a clamp. If I were going to carry this weapon on duty, I may reconsider. But as a SD-only gun that won't leave the house, I don't believe it will be necessary. I think this mag extension and the XS sight will be nice improvements though.
Thanks,
Brad

Brad737
08-22-2011, 19:48
JD,
By the way, thanks a ton for your insight. I'm watching the install video on your website right now. I'll be in touch for some Remington parts.
Thanks,
Brad

Aceman
08-23-2011, 07:24
If the 870 had such a tube it would defeat the one of the best benifits of the design of this weapon. There are 110 different 12ga 870 barrel. One gun with several barrels and you have a shotgun for any use. HD, wing shooting and big game. Have a one piece tube on the weapon and defeat the ease of barrel changes. Not worth it my opinion as the quality extension out there make a one piece tube not needed.

This is THE major downside to the extended round Mossbergs....

So if you want a purely specialty gun with 7/8 rounds, the Mossberg has some advantages.

If you want flexibility....870 has some benefits in extended round count. Or you need to keep it to 5 rounds.

Brad737
08-23-2011, 10:07
Hi guys,

Quick update. It's official. No clamp for me. I installed the Wilson mag tube today, and it's a very stout piece of gear. It was a very easy job. The most time-consuming part was reblueing after I deburred. I gave it 4 coats for grins. The finish on the mag tube is close to the factory Remington, but not exact. It's definitely close enough for me.

I'm going to shoot at least a hundred shells, just to verify proper feeding. But like I said, this seems like a great addition to my 870. While my gun technically had a 4+1 capacity, I only loaded 3 in the magazine. I've read many times that loading them to full capacity will weaken the springs. But now, I'll have 5 in the mag. I'm really happy that I increased my firepower by 50% for only $45.

I really appreciate all the advice. Hopefully, my XS sight will be here soon, and this one will be complete.

Thanks,
Brad

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/bradspence/Remington870.jpg

aippi
08-23-2011, 13:47
Cool beans. And now you can use the money you would have spent on a barrel bracket on ammo and take a step towards becoming proficient with the weapon in it's new configuration. So go have a blast (pun intended) and be safe.

Brad737
08-23-2011, 13:52
I sure will. I just bought 300 rounds of Federal sport loads at Walmart today...decent deal. $23 for 100.

JD, I do have a question regarding upgrades for it. From what I gather, some folks replace the extractor and a couple other parts for the "P" model parts. So far, my 870 has been 100% reliable. In your experience, are there any parts on the Express that really "need" to be swapped for the P versions?

Thanks,
Brad

Buffering
08-23-2011, 15:05
If I may take a stab at the question before aippi chimes in...

If your gun fires with 100% reliability there's no need to change anything at all. A bazillion 870 Expresses function just fine on a continuing basis without problems.

If you want to upgrade your Express to 870P internals then yes, you'd swap out the carrier dog and sear spring as well as the extractor. Of all the potential changes, the one I see most often is replacing the MIM extractor with a machined one.

mainegunner
08-23-2011, 18:30
All you need know is a jumbo head safety and you will bw all set. Wilson sells them and aippi might also.

22highcaps
08-23-2011, 18:32

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. I only want a support ring added to the front of the barrel to eliminate the extension clamp. The mag tube and mag extension stay the same length and fasten in the same way that they do now.

Hence if you want to shoot trap, remove the 18.5" barrel, mag extension, and long spring. Then install your 30" vent rib barrel, a normal spring, and a short cap. No versatility is lost in this setup. Same procedure for your cantilevered slug barrel.

SCSU74
08-25-2011, 08:39
load it full, the springs will be fine :)