Reload to shoot or shoot to reload? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reload to shoot or shoot to reload?

atakawow
08-21-2011, 22:59
What are you?

As for myself, I cast to shoot. I shoot to reload.

fredj338
08-21-2011, 23:24
I have long since passed the stage of shooting just to reload. For me, reloading is a necessary evil, something I do, & do well, but not really love doing anymore. It's probably why I have two progressives. Casting though, it's almost therapy & doesn't require the close vigilance to do well.

ron59
08-22-2011, 04:16
I agree with Fred. I see it as a necessary evil. Even though it only takes me 30 minutes or so to crank out 300... I can't say I ENJOY it. My pleasure is in the shooting, and that reloading process is something I have to do to get my affordable bullets.

For me... I'm looking forward to upgrading to 650/1050 this winter. With my 550B, I really hate having to release the handle to insert the brass. Heck, I might even get a bullet feeder too. Then all I have to do is pull handle and focus on powder.

Bogey
08-22-2011, 04:28
I do not enjoy reloading at all.

It's the only way I can afford to shoot 3-5 matches a month though.

DWARREN123
08-22-2011, 04:42
I like reloading and I like shooting so it doesn't matter! :supergrin:

ursoboostd
08-22-2011, 05:08
I like both, but I like shooting alot more.

GioaJack
08-22-2011, 09:10
Once again I'm the odd man out, seems to be a common theme in my entire life.

In order of enjoyment and relaxation I would rate it as casting, loading and shooting.

After almost 50 years of pretty much non-stop shooting the novelty has worn off and now with both physical and sight limitations the act of shooting has become painful, sometimes to the point of debilitation. (Still manage to bring home some folding currency, just not as much or as often as years past.

Loading provides me a reason to go to the range, meet with, commiserate and swap lies with old friends. Each new shooting season reveals that we are dying off at an increasing rate and the last shots fired provide fond memories.

Truth be told I derive the most enjoyment working with young police officers and teaching them things that they never hear in the academy but will most likely get them fired but yet give them a much better chance of surviving to look for another job.

OH, BTW... I'll be dead three days and still be able to beat Little Stevie and Hozer. My games are just a bit different than what they're used too. :whistling:

Jack

fredj338
08-22-2011, 09:23
Once again I'm the odd man out, seems to be a common theme in my entire life.

In order of enjoyment and relaxation I would rate it as casting, loading and shooting.

After almost 50 years of pretty much non-stop shooting the novelty has worn off and now with both physical and sight limitations the act of shooting has become painful, sometimes to the point of debilitation. (Still manage to bring home some folding currency, just not as much or as often as years past.

Loading provides me a reason to go to the range, meet with, commiserate and swap lies with old friends. Each new shooting season reveals that we are dying off at an increasing rate and the last shots fired provide fond memories.

Truth be told I derive the most enjoyment working with young police officers and teaching them things that they never hear in the academy but will most likely get them fired but yet give them a much better chance of surviving to look for another job.

OH, BTW... I'll be dead three days and still be able to beat Little Stevie and Hozer. My games are just a bit different than what they're used too. :whistling:

Jack

You are right on all points Jack. REloading is a means to an end, what ever that particular end is. I don't hate it, but I only reload now days when I need ammo, not for something to do. Casting though, some times I'll fire up the pot & just cast because.:wavey:

DoctaGlockta
08-22-2011, 10:02
I still reload to get a little me time. I only can crowbar about 30 minutes or so after the kids go to bed. Still enjoy it. Still learning. Have more components than I'll probably ever use. Hope to show my kids one day. I'd like to try my hand at casting one day when I have the time.

Enjoy it almost as much as going to the range.

garyjandfamily
08-22-2011, 10:06
I have to admit, I enjoy the reloading as much or more than the shooting. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm a better reloader than shooter...

Kwesi
08-22-2011, 10:22
I enjoy both equally (do not cast) but I've only been reloading 1.5 yrs. Just gotta eliminate squibs!

ustate
08-22-2011, 10:47
I enjoy shooting a lot more but still do like reloading. For me shooting is for fun and reloading is relaxing. Once my kids ( ages 5, 3 and 21 months) are put down to bed for the night there's nothing better to unwind from the day than cranking off some rounds.

sig357fan
08-22-2011, 11:12
I reload to have ammo on hand so I can go shooting any time I want, even at a moments notice.

I enjoy shooting, I enjoy shooting more when it ammo I have reloaded.

sig357fan

SigFTW
08-22-2011, 12:21
I reload so I can shoot more, so I can reload more, so I can shoot more. Is it the same as a drug?!?!? :faint:

Boxerglocker
08-22-2011, 13:44
Definately reload to shoot more for me..... 2000 to 2500 rounds of 9mm a month, 500 to 1000 of.223. Though I find reloading somewhat relaxing, I find shooting matches and practice even more enjoyable. Thus, I intentionally set myself up with equipment to minimize my time at the bench.

Arc Angel
08-22-2011, 14:19
What are you? As for myself, I cast to shoot. I shoot to reload.

As for me? For more than 30 years I absolutely positively shot to reload. I loved reloading; it was an unending passion for me. (I used to brag that I knew how to make better ammunition - and, in fact, often made better ammunition - than either Winchester or Remington.)

Recently, I sold over $4,000 dollars worth of reloading equipment (and supplies) to a very lucky fellow who showed up with 2 of his friends and $1,800 dollars in his pocket for my equipment. (In case something happened to me I didn't want my wife to have to deal with my very technical hobby or to be forced into selling my equipment piecemeal.)

It took those 3 healthy young men more than 3 hours to get all of that equipment disassembled and out the front door to their truck. I continue to wonder if that young man realizes just how frigg 'in lucky he is to have stumbled into me on the internet?

Even my 35 year old equipment was in, 'as new' condition! Why? Because I regularly cleaned and serviced every die set and powder measure I owned; and, every 10 years, or so, I had the manufacturers upgrade their equipment and replace any parts I didn't like the tolerance on.

I'm sure there were times when my insistence on, something like, exact sizing die specifications drove the service people at RCBS and Dillon almost wild. (They always gave me what I asked for though - Even if it took them two or three tries to get it right!) In fact I had just gotten my rock-solid EXTRA HEAVY 35 year old Rockchucker press, 'in the factory's backdoor' for refurbishing before RCBS went and turned their presses into the ridiculous Tinkertoys they're selling nowadays.

Definitely, I shot to reload. That fellow with the $1,800 dollars is one lucky purchaser! Last time I spoke to him I quipped, 'Would you like to buy lottery tickets for me?' :crying:

Tpro
08-22-2011, 15:16
I have long since passed the stage of shooting just to reload. For me, reloading is a necessary evil, something I do, & do well, but not really love doing anymore. It's probably why I have two progressives. Casting though, it's almost therapy & doesn't require the close vigilance to do well.

Definately reload to shoot more for me..... 2000 to 2500 rounds of 9mm a month, 500 to 1000 of.223. Though I find reloading somewhat relaxing, I find shooting matches and practice even more enjoyable. Thus, I intentionally set myself up with equipment to minimize my time at the bench.

^^^^This is where I'm at^^^^. And soon in the future is a bullet feeder and case feeder. And someone posted a link to a unit that operated a 650. I will have one of those if they make it for the LnL AP. If not, may sell the LnL AP to get a 650 just so I can have that. Then I'll need to do is look and make sure the powder is in the case.:cool:

fredj338
08-22-2011, 17:29
^^^^This is where I'm at^^^^. And soon in the future is a bullet feeder and case feeder. And someone posted a link to a unit that operated a 650. I will have one of those if they make it for the LnL AP. If not, may sell the LnL AP to get a 650 just so I can have that. Then I'll need to do is look and make sure the powder is in the case.:cool:
The LNL will take a bullet & case feeder as wil the 650. Blue or Red, ya just gotta pick.
Reloading is a great hobby unto itself, I still enjoy testing loads & working w/ new powders & bullets, but the actual drudgery of banging out 1000rds a week is more easily done by the progressive press & I am just a willing accomplice.:supergrin:

freakshow10mm
08-22-2011, 22:33
For personal ammo, I reload out of necessity due to cost. It's not as much fun as when I started which is why I load on a 1050. Quality ammunition with minimal effort done quickly.

gary newport
08-23-2011, 00:41
Shooting is a joy. Reloading is the tax I pay on joy.

tac_driver
08-23-2011, 19:26
For me it is a balance I like reloading and I like shooting