smelly under armor shirts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : smelly under armor shirts

JML2365
08-22-2011, 04:39
I am looking for suggestions on how to get the sweat smell out of my under armor shirts. I have been wearing them under my vest for years. I have some Under armor that is 5+ years old. The smell isn't bad enough for others to smell. My wife can't smell it unless she puts her nose right next to the shirt but I can smell it after wearing the shirt for a few minutes. No matter how many times I wash them it is still there. I have tried soaking them in Oxiclean for a day and it didn't help. They are black so bleach isn't an option. It's probably time to just buy new shirts. I wash my vest carrier regularly and use Fabreeze everyday when I take it off. Any suggestions?

FiremanMike
08-22-2011, 05:40
Either

A) get new shirts
B) accept the fact that no matter how much you clean them, your vest and under armor WILL stink approximately 10 minutes after putting them back on.

:)

LilCop2002
08-22-2011, 07:18
Bubba,

That stench is there to stay. As meticulous as I am in being clean, mine always smelled bad. It was so bad that I took mine out of the dryer one day and just threw it away.

What I ended up doing was going to Walmart and buying some of the knockoff ones that I didn't have a problem throwing away when it was time.

LC

FiremanMike
08-22-2011, 07:19
What I ended up doing was going to Walmart and buying some of the knockoff ones that I didn't have a problem throwing away when it was time.

LC

An excellent point, I stopped buying under armor brand long ago.

Big House
08-22-2011, 07:39
After washing try soaking them in baking soda and water solution, then rewash then.

Mayhem like Me
08-22-2011, 08:11
Wash them all together in HOT with two full cups of beach... It will work it kills the funk.

Trust me the black does not matter add the bleach and detergent to the water then put in the shirts if they are the nylon type the color does not run I do this once a month..

Morris
08-22-2011, 09:31
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sweats like a hooker in a Sunday Baptist service.

Bleach was also recommended to me.

collim1
08-22-2011, 10:05
Cotton shirts seem to not retain the funk as bad. I wear cotton v-necks and wash them in warm water with plenty of detergent and oxyclean. They come out smelling alot better than under armour shirts I have.

I still wear the under armour when I know i'll be working an outside detail in the heat.

My vest carrier is another story, it always smells like troll crotch no matter what I do to it. Lucky for me I am getting a new vest soon, I got fitted last week.

nitesite10mm
08-22-2011, 10:08
Underarmor is 100% Polyester, no?

Some bleach won't fade the color like it would if it was cotton or wool.

Look into some Sham-Wow! sheets cut to your vest panels outline, and then worn inside your carrier between you and the Kevlar. They absorb a lot of perspiration and can easily be washed along with your carrier. Just make sure to line-dry the Sham-Wow! and not place it in the drier.

My panels don't have the slightest hint of odor (attributed to using Sham-Wow!) and I live and work in a really HOT and HUMID climate. Fabreeze doesn't come close to what this method delivers.

Roadkill_751
08-22-2011, 11:09
Wash them all together in HOT with two full cups of beach... It will work it kills the funk.

Trust me the black does not matter add the bleach and detergent to the water then put in the shirts if they are the nylon type the color does not run I do this once a month..

You can use all of the bleach in the world, and we still can smell you before we see you....:tongueout::rofl:

TheJ
08-22-2011, 11:18
...They are black so bleach isn't an option...

Au contraire mon fraire.

Underarmor is 100% Polyester, no?

Some bleach won't fade the color like it would if it was cotton or wool....

This.

Just use a water diluted or weak bleach solution. I do this regularly on especially funk prone items. It will kill the funk but won't destroy your garment. Yes over time it will cause more wear on the garment but IMHO that is a more than fair trade off for being funk free.

Javelin
08-22-2011, 11:31
Oxy-Clean & hot water wash w/ a little bit of vinegar in a separate wash (not together) worked for mine when I got back from Iraq and had to wash all of my nasty stuff.

:wavey:

EDIT: Just don't mix Oxyclean and Vinegar as they will cancel each other out as they act differently (one is an acid and one is a alkali based solvent).

ray9898
08-22-2011, 12:12
I have used a vinegar wash if there was a noticeable smell but normally simple detergent with Oxy Clean does the job. As above, bleach also does great.

Bodyarmorguy
08-22-2011, 12:52
I noticed Fabreeze mentioned a couple of times, DO NOT PUT FABREEZE ON THE ARMOR PACKAGE. Fabreeze is bleach based and along with other chems in will accellerate the degrading of the ballistic materials.

It is not as big an issue with NIJ .06 certified packages because of the waterproofing requirements, but I would still avoid it.

Galls sells Vestguard which seems to work well. Also, google Tactical Odor Eliminator, it works as well. And it has tactical in the name so it must be good, right? Lol. I have used both, like both, currently using Vest Guard.

Mayhem like Me
08-22-2011, 13:08
You can use all of the bleach in the world, and we still can smell you before we see you....:tongueout::rofl:

I cast my manly musk about...do not be threatened.. :supergrin:

Bushido5150
08-22-2011, 13:41
I had the same problem with my jiu jitsu gi's and rash guards. I washed them in white vinager worked great.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO
08-22-2011, 13:49
I use Oxy and bleach on mine I have a types under armor, walmart brand(Starter), and Nike all in black or dark blue never had a problem......and vest I use Vestguard from Galls as mentioned above!

Morris
08-22-2011, 14:54
Look into some Sham-Wow! sheets cut to your vest panels outline, and then worn inside your carrier between you and the Kevlar. They absorb a lot of perspiration and can easily be washed along with your carrier. Just make sure to line-dry the Sham-Wow! and not place it in the drier.

Free hooker slaps with every panel sold . . . :)

snichols28
08-22-2011, 16:07
White vinegar in the wash works wonders! I use it in almost every load of laundry. It does a pretty good job of softening clothes too. Not sure why and how but it does!

Detectorist
08-22-2011, 16:49
Also, rub Milk of Magnesia on the parts of your body which come in contact with your vest. It eliminates 80% of the sweating. Good for your feet, too.

pal2511
08-22-2011, 18:22
I noticed Fabreeze mentioned a couple of times, DO NOT PUT FABREEZE ON THE ARMOR PACKAGE. Fabreeze is bleach based and along with other chems in will accellerate the degrading of the ballistic materials.

It is not as big an issue with NIJ .06 certified packages because of the waterproofing requirements, but I would still avoid it.

Galls sells Vestguard which seems to work well. Also, google Tactical Odor Eliminator, it works as well. And it has tactical in the name so it must be good, right? Lol. I have used both, like both, currently using Vest Guard.

I just got my bottle of vestguard in today and its my monday. Washed my carrier and I am about to spray my panels down with the vest guard. Should I let the vest guard dry on the panels or wipe it off?

Bodyarmorguy
08-22-2011, 19:40
I just got my bottle of vestguard in today and its my monday. Washed my carrier and I am about to spray my panels down with the vest guard. Should I let the vest guard dry on the panels or wipe it off?

It really doesn't take that much, no need to soak them in it. As a rule, when I get home and take my armor off I give about 3 sprays on each body side of the carrier and let it sit. I work in a east central FL, high heat, high humidity and have literally only had to wash the carrier twice in the last six months.

The carrier has Outlast Phase Change material for the body-side which helps to regulate body temp and works great in conjunction with Under Armor.

pal2511
08-22-2011, 19:42
Ya I only have a USarmor vest nothing special on the carrier.

The panels havnt started stinking too bad yet but ive only been wearing it for a solid month

NYcarry
08-22-2011, 19:44
Any you guys with a the ever smelling shirts using a front loading washer by chance.

I and many many others have the same issue with a frontloader.
It's a huge problem!
Otherwise there is a product called "smelly towels" that should fix ya up.

CAcop
08-22-2011, 22:07
Put me down in the sweat like a fat Tijuana hooker in the sun group.

If a weak bleach solution doesn't do it get used to it.

scottydl
08-22-2011, 22:25
For any new shirts you pick up, start washing them twice from the very beginning. So far that seems to have helped for me... I noticed that 1 wash wasn't getting the job done after just a few months in a shirt. And I really don't sweat all that much, but in hot summers I guess the 'pits just can't help themselves.

JML2365
08-23-2011, 04:51
Any you guys with a the ever smelling shirts using a front loading washer by chance.

I and many many others have the same issue with a frontloader.
It's a huge problem!
Otherwise there is a product called "smelly towels" that should fix ya up.

Yes I have a front load washer.

NYcarry
08-23-2011, 06:45
Yes I have a front load washer.

Do a quick google on the front loaders and you will find thousands more with same musty swampy clothes odor.

I have the same, the "smelly washer" "smelly towel" product works decent but sucks buying it.

Take a wiff of the water when you washer empties you will prob smell the same odor.

Anyone else in need of a washer buy toploader. ;)

pal2511
08-23-2011, 06:58
I have a fisher paykel washer. It uses front loading technology but its a top loader. It has a very high rpm for rinse and also can use HE detergent but I don't think its required by any means. Also it has a cool function that weighs the clothes so it automatically picks water level.

http://www.fisherpaykel.com/product/laundry/clotheswashers/index.cfm?productuid=6DDDEF86-CCF8-5886-777EA7D0B4820648

thats the newer model. I have had mine for hmmm about 8 years and had to replace the motherboard about 2 or 3 years after I bought it. They came out and fixed it for free with no labor or parts cost. It was not under warranty at the time. :) VERY GOOD customer service

Sorry to derail the thread

Also have a fisher paykel dryer but its just a plain ole dryer mainly

pal2511
08-23-2011, 07:00
Do a quick google on the front loaders and you will find thousands more with same musty swampy clothes odor.

I have the same, the "smelly washer" "smelly towel" product works decent but sucks buying it.

Take a wiff of the water when you washer empties you will prob smell the same odor.

Anyone else in need of a washer buy toploader. ;)

my mother in law has a front loader and it stinks. My wife cleans it with the tide washer cleaner and it helps out a bit.

BSA70
08-23-2011, 07:09
The smell is a problem. I wear the black t. No matter how many times you wash them they stink. I had training the other day Had to take my uniform off down to my t shirt. Stank and it was a clean shirt. Will try the bleach trick.

lsmountainman
08-23-2011, 08:10
You can turn them inside out and soak them in a bucket of oxy clean...I also wash them in Tide Sport - that really works better than regular detergents. You can still add a little oxy clean to the batch.

nitesite10mm
08-23-2011, 10:42
Front Loading Washing machines = leaving the door open several (8-10) inches when not in use, allowing the seals to dry. And using HE detergent (we only buy TIDE).

I'm using a quart of cheap vodka in every load of darks because while having tons of empty vohkkah bottles in the curbside trash does initially arouse suspicion, it is quickly allayed, and then I can commence to my own heavy binge drinking.

pal2511
08-23-2011, 11:00
We use the tide sport withw frbreeze. Vodka in washer? Wouldnt isopryoll alcoholwork cheaper?

nitesite10mm
08-23-2011, 11:31
Vodka in washer? Wouldnt isopryoll alcoholwork cheaper?

Well, it was in jest. Humor............. :wavey:

batson35
08-23-2011, 18:06
I always try to get my UA gear in to the laundry ASAP after I take it off I find that helps to keep your clothes from "marinating" in ass funk.