I hate polishing brand new boots! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I hate polishing brand new boots!

collim1
08-22-2011, 18:06
Its almost September which means I got my new pair Of Danners from the Dept.

My old pair of boots take a shine with nothing more than a wipe off with a damp cloth and a dab of polish on a cotton ball.

The new ones take a little more elbow grease, and if you get impatient all your hard work flakes off in a disgusting mess and you have to start all over again:steamed:

Oh well, I know what I am doing for the next couple of hours:supergrin:

A6Gator
08-22-2011, 18:07
Did you saddle soap them before you started putting polish on?

collim1
08-22-2011, 18:36
Did you saddle soap them before you started putting polish on?

I didn't use saddle soap, but I cleaned them well with a damp, warm cloth. I do have some saddle soap, but I use it on my horse's saddle. Will it help the boots take polish?

EOD3
08-22-2011, 19:54
We used to put on a thick layer of polish, then heat it with a Bic until it started to melt. Don't get it too hot and DON"T use a candle.

janice6
08-22-2011, 20:02
We used to put on a thick layer of polish, then heat it with a Bic until it started to melt. Don't get it too hot and DON"T use a candle.

In the Navy we did this then loaded the leather while it is still warm, with new polish then work it in good. then switch to water drops and polish pad (spit polish) then wipe and buff. We also used to cut down the time by polishing the leather with a brush and polish, then buff and follow with Polaroid "fixer" from the film box.

Smelled like you peed on them, but talk about gloss.

bccop
08-22-2011, 20:17
I keep my boots tactical black. Don't want the shine to give away my position.... :whistling:

blueberry1177
08-22-2011, 21:40
I'm still in awe your dept issues boots! I look at polishing like a fine art until I discovered parade gloss last weekend. I feel like a complete idiot now yet accomplished knowing I was able to get my boots almost the same with regular Kiwi

SAR
08-23-2011, 01:27
The key to a really good shine is to put black shoe die on even before you put on any wax. Once you do that, start with the base coats of wax. Or do what I do, just have the station shoe shine guy (yeah, we have a civilian who has a shine booth here) do 'em.

collim1
08-23-2011, 03:40
I'm still in awe your dept issues boots! I look at polishing like a fine art until I discovered parade gloss last weekend. I feel like a complete idiot now yet accomplished knowing I was able to get my boots almost the same with regular Kiwi

Pretty spoiled when it comes to issued equipment and pay. It the politics, 20-40hrs of mandatory OT per month, micro-management, and typically unhappy work environment that causes me problems:supergrin:

blueberry1177
08-23-2011, 11:18
^ You get overtime too!!!!!!!! Sign me up lol most of the depts here are switching over to 12 hr shifts and not giving OT like they used to. sorry for the thread jack lol

nitesite10mm
08-23-2011, 11:38
Most NIB boots come with an almost imperceptible but significant coating of some sort of dry/powdered leather preservative. It's got silicone in it. If you try to polish "out of the box" boots without first applying saddle soap/water/dry (or at least ISO Alchhol) it is a doomed effort.

collim1
08-23-2011, 12:03
^ You get overtime too!!!!!!!! Sign me up lol most of the depts here are switching over to 12 hr shifts and not giving OT like they used to. sorry for the thread jack lol

We work 4x12hr days and then off 4. They find plenty for us to do on our "off" days. Them main thing is the major state university in our town. They keep us pretty busy. We work a lot of traffic grants also.

collim1
08-23-2011, 12:05
Most NIB boots come with an almost imperceptible but significant coating of some sort of dry/powdered leather preservative. It's got silicone in it. If you try to polish "out of the box" boots without first applying saddle soap/water/dry (or at least ISO Alchhol) it is a doomed effort.

Good to know.

I did take a rag with hot water and give them a good scrubbing and let them dry.

They are starting to shine up. It has been slow today, I have been working on them in the car. Setting the polish up on the dash gets it just warm enough to really seep in without burning it with a lighter.

nitesite10mm
08-24-2011, 09:45
It has been slow today, I have been working on them in the car. Setting the polish up on the dash gets it just warm enough to really seep in without burning it with a lighter.

That right there is pure genius, and I applaud your ingenuity!!!!!!

You do know, I'm sure, that Lincoln Wax is vastly superior to KIWI..........

Just sayin'.

Chuck54
08-25-2011, 11:14
Shucks..........I just hate polishing boots.

Long time ago I would clean the boots up, then rub in excessive amounts of polish to the point of leaving the polish caked on the boots, then let them set in the sun for a few hours........or a day or two. Then buff the excess and start the spit shine.

Agent6-3/8
08-25-2011, 11:22
While a nice high glass polish is nice, I have to wonder whats the point for patrol?

You need to take care of your boots and keep them clean and polished, but I stopped doing anything more than buffing them with a brush or rag a long time ago. In my neck of the woods, boots stay pretty until you get out the car on your first traffic stop or call...

SCSU74
08-25-2011, 14:46
then don't wear boots, switch to tennis shoes :) i did and will never wear boots again...

toddmog
08-25-2011, 15:02
You need to take care of your boots and keep them clean and polished, but I stopped doing anything more than buffing them with a brush or rag a long time ago. In my neck of the woods, boots stay pretty until you get out the car on your first traffic stop or call...

It's not uncommon for my boots to be gray at the end of the night. Some nights are worse than others. 5 hours of directing traffic on a gravel road was the worst.

Hackett
08-25-2011, 15:09
In Navy Boot Camp we had polishing contests. Can get a mirror finish with just polish in nabout 30 mins per boot. After a few weeks it becomes kind of relaxing during holiday routine Sunday to polish boots, but that doesn't last long! Parade wax for the win! LOL

Unistat
08-25-2011, 15:19

I used to use hot water (hot enough to make tea) on a cotton swab to melt the polish. Then somebody blew my mind and told me to use a hair dryer.

trdvet
08-25-2011, 15:46
Good tips in here. Clean the boots first before you polish. Either use the lighter method or use a hair dryer. I do mine at home but we have some trustees in the jail that are pretty dang good.

SAR
08-25-2011, 18:46
Although I don't bother to do it any more, another trick that helped me through the academy was to put a coat of Future acrylic floor wax on my pre-shined shoes using a Q-tip. Once dried, it provided an insane shine that only required a clean cloth to wipe off in seconds. Any areas that got scuffed were simply repaired with more wax. It really does work great, but these days, with 25+ years on, I don't need an insane polish any more.

collim1
08-25-2011, 19:27
I keep two pairs of boots. That way one is always shined. I work patrol but like to have a shiny pair of boots when I start. Crap happens, but atleast I start each day with a pressed uniform and polished boots.

Agent6-3/8
08-25-2011, 20:51
then don't wear boots, switch to tennis shoes :) i did and will never wear boots again...

I bet those are nice for guys in an urban enviroment!

You'd break an anke in tennis shoes around here. I worked in a rural mountainous county. Seems like nearly everyshift you ended up or down a mountain side, all while in class A's, our patrol uniform. I switched between Danner Acadia Elites and Corcoran Field IIs. The Corcrans are my favorites.

We were supposed to wear the issued Bates buckle chukka boots by policy. They comfortable enough and are nice for civilized enviroments, but don't work well at all down here in the coal fields.

While I don't go crazy and spend an hour to acheive a mirror shine very often anymore, I do keep my boots clean and polished (as well as the rest of my uniform) I've seen some guys come to work looking like they've been on a 3 day patrol in Afghanistan. There's not much excuse for that. It only takes a minute to acheive a respectable shine.

CAcop
08-25-2011, 23:30
What is this "polish" you speak of?

Our policy has said for probably over 20 years we only have to have shoes capable of taking a shine. No mention of them being shined. I will polish them every so often but when I do I will end up in the sand the very same day I apply it. One of our now retired Lts. used to be a dick about it until two of our guys decided to only polish one boot each.

Panzergrenadier1979
08-26-2011, 06:02
One of our now retired Lts. used to be a dick about it until two of our guys decided to only polish one boot each.

:rofl:

It seems to me that everytime I take my boots home with me after work, sit down, and actually put in the effort to get a good, professional shine, I end up on a call the very next day that has me standing in mud for long periods of time. :steamed:

Now, I just wipe them down every now and then.

puckhead
08-26-2011, 21:03
So what would a guy do if he didnt prep his boots before putting some wax on there? Any way to strip off the wax and start over?

collim1
08-26-2011, 21:23
That right there is pure genius, and I applaud your ingenuity!!!!!!

You do know, I'm sure, that Lincoln Wax is vastly superior to KIWI..........

Just sayin'.

As far as I know Lincoln is not available in my area. Ft Benning is not too far away I would bet the stores in that area have it, I need to check.

collim1
08-26-2011, 21:29
Sorry, double post.

collim1
08-26-2011, 21:38
So what would a guy do if he didnt prep his boots before putting some wax on there? Any way to strip off the wax and start over?

Yes, a cotton ball with mineral spirits and the old polish will just melt off. Then you have to wait a day or two until the leather is completely dry or it will reject the polish.

South Fla
08-26-2011, 21:49
I've seen some guys come to work looking like they've been on a 3 day patrol in Afghanistan.

Much along the same lines, when I was a rook, I had a grizzled sergeant tell me once after a hard day on the streets, back alleys, back yards and scrap yards, that:

"Son, those boots look like they were shined with a Hershey bar..."

I found that a damp rag and Parade Gloss was sent directly from Heaven for cops.

puckhead
08-26-2011, 21:50
Yes, a cotton ball with mineral spirits and the old polish will just melt off. Then you have to wait a day or two until the leather is completely dry or it will reject the polish.

Sweet thanks! Someone told me to use a metal brush and scrape it all off? I would think that would jack the boot up pretty bad.

collim1
08-26-2011, 22:14
Sweet thanks! Someone told me to use a metal brush and scrape it all off? I would think that would jack the boot up pretty bad.

I hope they were kidding, if not they were being a a-hole!

puckhead
08-26-2011, 23:01
I hope they were kidding, if not they were being a a-hole!

lol, nope! He proceeded to take his brush to his boots right there in front of me!

collim1
08-26-2011, 23:26
lol, nope! He proceeded to take his brush to his boots right there in front of me!

Wow, I'd have to see it to believe it.

You do have to be careful with the mineral spirits, it works well but if you use too much the leather will not take the polish.

I can't imagine using a metal brush.

blueberry1177
08-27-2011, 15:30
Everyone talking about not polishing their boots for many different reasons if fine and to each their own but I feel that it plays a huge role in Officer Presence. Head to toe we need to be squared away in the best possible way we can. I know first hand people start treating you with a little more "respect" when they see your always on top of your game.

"End Rant"

South Fla
08-27-2011, 16:26
Everyone talking about not polishing their boots for many different reasons if fine and to each their own but I feel that it plays a huge role in Officer Presence. Head to toe we need to be squared away in the best possible way we can. I know first hand people start treating you with a little more "respect" when they see your always on top of your game.

"End Rant"

I know many a policeman (notice I did not use the term "cop"), that is squared away and can't do anything but make traffic stops and write tickets.

Shiny shoes do not make the cop.

I do agree that they need to be presentable though, not obsessed over.

SCSU74
08-28-2011, 09:50

"End Rant"

thats why i clean my tennis shoes every day before work :)

collim1
08-28-2011, 10:05

"End Rant"

I agree, I polish mine every week, and wipe them off with a damp rag before work everyday.

pal2511
11-30-2011, 16:32
Collim1 I can mail you some Lincoln shoe polish if you want. :)

Ive always used kiwi I think though

South Fla
12-02-2011, 02:27
I have actually seen guys take their boots and spray paint them with Krylon spray paint.

Not all the way to the top, but at least up to the laces to get by on side-of-the road inspection.

( Side-of-the road inspection is where a sergeant or above will call you at a random time, any time, day or night, and inspect you, your cruiser and your pistol. This was usually near evaluation time.)

Patchman
12-03-2011, 15:29
"Son, those boots look like they were shined with a Hershey bar..."

Hershey bar... chocolate bar... I haven't heard that expression in years. :rofl:

For some reason I prefer to polish using "neutral" coloured polish. I have small tins of black polish (and brown and burgundy polish for personal shoes, off duty holsters) to touch up scuffs but normally it's a coat of neutral. In addition to boots, I also polish my equipment belt gear (holster, cuff cases, etc...).

Recently I purchased a 6-pack of Kiwi neutral polish that was made in France. It seems/feels like the wax content is higher than American Kiwi polish.

Cochese
12-03-2011, 21:22
How about getting fuel off them? :steamed:

I'm wearing my two week old Danner Kevlar Light IIs and the ******* city pumps failed to deactivate and the valve stuck since it is 19F. My pants and new $300 boots are covered in low bidder 85 octane.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Gsi-Bdv%2BL.jpg

Newcop761
12-03-2011, 22:08
How about getting fuel off them? :steamed:

I'm wearing my two week old Danner Kevlar Light IIs and the ******* city pumps failed to deactivate and the valve stuck since it is 19F. My pants and new $300 boots are covered in low bidder 85 octane.

I'd use the lighter method... :wavey:

Cochese
12-04-2011, 02:12
:supergrin:

Goldendog Redux
12-04-2011, 03:13
I know how to make my boots shiny which is convenient in case someone tells me to shine my boots. Meantime I will spend my time not shining my boots.

MF