Carrying concealed in a company vehicle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying concealed in a company vehicle

franklin455
08-22-2011, 18:59
Mas - My wife is Sales Rep in South Texas, who is on the road quite a bit. She has a company vehicle for work and personal use. She travels routinely to the border towns, which have become notorious for cartel related violence, kidnappings, etc.

She has her Texas CHL and a S&W 642 with CT grips. However, her company policy states that she may not carry firearms in the vehicle at any time. She has been complying with company policy.

Question is - what is your take on whether or not she should carry in the car during work? To me, if it comes down to it and she needs to defend herself, I would much rather her be prepared and potentially lose her job than the other way around. Do you see any other implications if she is carrying in the car on business and a situation arises where she needs to defend herself?

Thanks.......

Mas Ayoob
08-22-2011, 21:27
Reminding you that I give practical advice as opposed to legal advice, my take is this.

On the one hand, working for an employer who won't let you defend yourself, particularly when the job puts your life at risk, is not a good thing. I can certainly understand why doctrine of competing harms, the common sense concept that when confronted with two evils it is better choose the lesser, might sway her toward carrying so long as she is licensed to do so and not actually breaking state law.

On the other hand, I can also grasp the argument that agreeing to work for an employer, even one whose rules you don't like, binds you at least ethically to those rules. Legally, I expect she wouldn't have much grounds to sue for wrongful discharge if she was fired after her gun was discovered, even if she had to use it to save her life.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Check with Texas state rifle association; their lawyers should be on top of caselaw there as it regards an employee's options if fired for doing an otherwise lawful act that involves their self-protection and personal/occupational safety.

The choice is one only she can make. Best advice I can give is look around for an employer with a better policy, if only one that is neutral on this issue.

Wishing I could have provided a more palatable answer,
Mas

franklin455
08-23-2011, 04:52
thanks Mas!