Laptop HDD's... wouldn't you know it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laptop HDD's... wouldn't you know it?

Obi Wan
08-22-2011, 19:24
Yep, this is what I get for not double-checking things BEFORE I buy the new drive and take things apart to install it.

Duh... :brickwall:

Thought I was outsmarting myself by buying a 500 GB Seagate 7200 rpm SATA drive with 16 MB of cache so that I could install Win 7 on the older laptop. I never thought of it having an EIDE HDD.

Guess I'll start over... argggghh

Pierre!
08-22-2011, 22:11
Yep, this is what I get for not double-checking things BEFORE I buy the new drive and take things apart to install it.

Duh... :brickwall:

Thought I was outsmarting myself by buying a 500 GB Seagate 7200 rpm SATA drive with 16 MB of cache so that I could install Win 7 on the older laptop. I never thought of it having an EIDE HDD.

Guess I'll start over... argggghh

THAT sucks... But trust me, you aren't the first... :supergrin:

Patrick

IndyGunFreak
08-22-2011, 22:24
THAT sucks... But trust me, you aren't the first... :supergrin:

Patrick

Hmm, well, I suspect he's at least the 3rd... ;)

There's worst mistakes you could have made.. starting w/ Installing Win 7.

IGF

Ogreon
08-22-2011, 22:42
Recalling some of your previous posts, I must now ask the question...

Obi Wan, what have you done to anger the computer gods?

Obi Wan
08-23-2011, 06:34
Recalling some of your previous posts, I must now ask the question...

Obi Wan, what have you done to anger the computer gods?
LOL... I think it's just my very existence lately that's got them riled up. :supergrin:

Pierre!
08-23-2011, 07:03
I don't know that ObiWan had *angered* any one...

I tell most of my clients that they are happy they met me AFTER I finished breaking everything I touched! :rofl:

They still call me back too! :supergrin:

Hang in there ObiWan - You are on your way to becoming a 'Super Technician'... the *hard* way.

Be sure you get a grounding strap...

Patrick

Obi Wan
08-23-2011, 09:20
Hang in there ObiWan - You are on your way to becoming a 'Super Technician'... the *hard* way.

Be sure you get a grounding strap...

Patrick
Patrick,

You'd be proud of me. I've got my grounding strap and every variety of tools you could imagine. Heck, if it gives me any more trouble I've even got the floor mounted drill press and core drills to "go to town" on it. If that doesn't work, I'll fire up either the radial arm or the band saw. :supergrin:

If all else fails, I'll shock it back to life with the welder. :whistling:

IndyGunFreak
08-23-2011, 17:14
Patrick,

You'd be proud of me. I've got my grounding strap and every variety of tools you could imagine. Heck, if it gives me any more trouble I've even got the floor mounted drill press and core drills to "go to town" on it. If that doesn't work, I'll fire up either the radial arm or the band saw. :supergrin:

If all else fails, I'll shock it back to life with the welder. :whistling:

I remember the first computer I built (I basically built it following a magazine article).. and thought "no way its this simple"... I had drills, screw drivers, a HACKSAW..lol, and a ton of hand tools sitting on the table as i started unboxing stuff.

I felt pretty stupid when all I used was a phillips screwdriver, and a pair of needle nose pliars.

IGF

Ogreon
08-23-2011, 21:40
I don't know that ObiWan had *angered* any one...

I tell most of my clients that they are happy they met me AFTER I finished breaking everything I touched! :rofl:

Maybe the question should be -- What have I done to please the computer gods?

I've had an occasional problem getting the RAM stick seated and a few other minor annoyances. Mostly, though... I hook stuff up. Flip the switch. Take the express train to Joyville.

Come to think of it. Years back I was installing a PCI card and it cut my thumb without my noticing it. "Hmmm. What's this red stuff on my motherboard?" Since I didn't yell, maybe I got credited with an intentional blood sacrifice.

Obi Wan
08-24-2011, 09:34
Maybe the question should be -- What have I done to please the computer gods?

"Hmmm. What's this red stuff on my motherboard?" Since I didn't yell, maybe I got credited with an intentional blood sacrifice.
I just might have to try that too! :supergrin:

OK... here's the question of the day!

I exchanged the HDD's and got a WD 250 Gig 5400 rpm (the old one was a 40 Gig 4200 rpm drive, so it should be an improvement). Got it installed easily enough. It's a blank drive and I opted to not install any of the HP 'magic stuff', which is sometimes useful but clutters things up and uses memory I can't spare.

So I start installing Win 7 this morning from the Win 7 Home Premium - 32 Bit CD. The instructions say since I'm not installing over XP to use the 'Custom' option, and since I wanted to make sure that the OS was in a separate partition I specified a 'new partition' instead of using the 'O' partition of 250 Gig+/-. When I spec'd a system partition of 100 Gigs, it went and set up a 100 Gig Partition #1 - System, and then another 87 Gig 'Partition #2 - ?, and the balance of 156 Gig, etc.

NOW... did I screw up by adding that extra partition since it appears that Windows would have partitioned the OS section on it's own? If so, am I going to have an 'extra' drive partition to play with... or will it not be usable for programs, etc?

The instructions are extremely poor for those of us users who are almost smart enough to do most of our own stuff, but not smart enough to stay out of trouble... :supergrin:

What say ye'? :dunno:

Pierre!
08-24-2011, 13:21
Hello ObiWan,

Screw Up? No. Make it more interesting to manage - Yes.

I say this because - a full 250G drive can be 'partitioned' with directories... and the Win7 Imaging will restore the entire drive with no issues.

The folks I happen upon have had 2 partitions setup, and now C: drive is full. They install software, but don't pay attention, and install EVERYTHING to C: when they should be installing to D:.... but now it's too late.

Win7 imaging will work find with multiple partitions, but it is just one more *complexity* that can allow errors to sneak in... Know what I mean???

That is why for most consumers I recommend the *Keep It Simple Sir* method of drive management.

The less you got to mess with it, the better off you are.

Now - If you were a High Performance kinda guy, having crazy drive arrays and setups would make sense...

I somehow sense that you would prefer to eliminate all *drama* from your computers at this point in your life... so I would recommend you reinstall one last time and use the whole drive partition for OS and Data.

I have a separate directory labeled - DATA - where all my work and important stuff is stored (including pictures)... I just point Mozy to THAT directory, and what ever is important is backed up.

Life is too short to be aggravated by crazy drive configurations...

Does that help you out?

Patrick

Obi Wan
08-24-2011, 13:44
That is why for most consumers I recommend the *Keep It Simple Sir* method of drive management.

The less you got to mess with it, the better off you are.

Now - If you were a High Performance kinda guy, having crazy drive arrays and setups would make sense...

I somehow sense that you would prefer to eliminate all *drama* from your computers at this point in your life... so I would recommend you reinstall one last time and use the whole drive partition for OS and Data.

I have a separate directory labeled - DATA - where all my work and important stuff is stored (including pictures)... I just point Mozy to THAT directory, and what ever is important is backed up.

Life is too short to be aggravated by crazy drive configurations...

Does that help you out?

Patrick
Hey Patrick...

Isn't nice how 'great minds' think alike? :cool:

While I was at lunch, apparently the install finished and possibly did a reboot(?)... with the install disc still in the CD. Thus, when I got back the PC was hung up, or seemed to be, so after some futzin' around I just said... 'Heck with it' and started the install all over again. This time, though, as you suggested, I deleted the two extra partitions and left it all one so that Windows can do it's own thing.

So while this is plugging away, I get to try to fix my new Belkin router setup. I've got my USB printer plugged into the router as a network printer, but thus far have only been able to get my wife's laptop to print to it, despite multiple installs to my desktops. :dunno:

Geez.... I think I'm going to go offer a blood sacrifice to the PC Gods like Ogreon did. Do you think they'll accept a rogue squirrel from my bird feeder??? :whistling: :supergrin:

Pierre!
08-24-2011, 14:04
Chickens! It's Chickens they love! and Rum... Lots of Rum... :supergrin:

Nice part is you can eat the chickens afterwards! :rofl:

Bummer is you need at least 144 chickens on the *first* offense...

Down wind can be a real bummer for my neighbors... :faint:

:supergrin:

Good Decision ObiWan!

Patrick

Obi Wan
08-24-2011, 14:29
Darn... no chickens around these parts, just squirrels, 'possums, and skunks. :crying:

Wait... I've got an old feather pillow. I'll round up the squirrels and make up some flour paste, roll them in it, and shake them in the pillow.... Wallah! Chickens!!! :supergrin:

Obi Wan
08-24-2011, 19:29
Damn... I need to figure out what offering the Gods require! :wow:

Here it is 6 hours later and I'm just now getting Win 7 half running... and then it pops up a box telling me I have a counterfeit copy of software! I suspect it's because the installation got so hosed on this older laptop - although with a new 250 GB HDD and 1 GB of RAM, it should have been OK - and I didn't get the product key numbers input.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. If it stays screwed up, the person I got the software and I will have a chat... and I'll install XP SP3 again. Geez....

Obi Wan
08-25-2011, 15:50
Well, I'm still screwing around here...

I've verified that the new HDD is supposedly compatible with this PC...

I finally got connected to the Internet to get the Win7 update/certification, etc, and that didn't seem to fix a darn thing...

I've reinstalled the router setup (a new Belkin N600) and also installed the Netgear wireless card driver and it all worked one time... and am now doing it all again.

This is bunk...

I think I'm going to reinstall XP SP3 and fuhgettaboutit.... :whistling:

Pierre!
08-25-2011, 16:45
Hey ObiWan

Don't get too hasty! You can call them and explain you just changed out your hard drive and they should reset it for you!

I have had to do this in the past - No Big Deal.

Give it a try before you fall back to *insecure* Windows XP!

Patrick

Obi Wan
08-25-2011, 17:32
Hey ObiWan

Don't get too hasty! You can call them and explain you just changed out your hard drive and they should reset it for you!

I have had to do this in the past - No Big Deal.

Give it a try before you fall back to *insecure* Windows XP!

Patrick
Hey Patrick,

If I'm unable to maintain an Internet link, how is MS going to reset anything?

And why is Win7 only using the center 11.5" on a 15" laptop screen? It won't let me get to the properties to change it.

Beats me. XP may not be secure, but it sure beats this. I may have messed up on the compatibility stuff, including the HDD. I just read that a replacement drive shouldn't be any larger than 4 x's the original one... which means I should have stuck with a 160 instead of a 250 GB. Is that true? If so, I can exchange it and start over.... again.

As they say... "Sumtin' ain't right here..."...

Pierre!
08-25-2011, 20:28
Hey ObiWan,

MS will reset your key on their end, and when it finally links it should resolve it's self.

Sounds like you are having driver issues.

Do the Chipset drivers first,
Then the Network Interface (Wired/Wireless in that order usually works best),
Then the Video...

Hang in there.. We will make a PC Technician out of you yet! Just a few more years to go... :rofl:

Just remember, the faster you break stuff, the quicker you learn!

Patrick

Obi Wan
08-26-2011, 09:41
Well... it's going to be hard to achieve any of this since it's now been 1 1/2 hours since I pressed the power button to turn the laptop on... and the Windows screen still says... "Please wait...". Yeah... 'wait this MS'... :whistling:

Obviously Win7 didn't have/install some key drivers needed to run, despite what the Win7 Advisor program said when I ran it first.

Btw, I didn't get a chance to input the Product Key numbers due to the screen 'flashing by' after I'd clicked on the 'Next' button a couple of times when it had hung up originally. I was going to try to find the place to input it this morning, but the program won't even boot up fully. At this point I'm guessing I should just 'DBAN' the drive and either start over... or install XP since this laptop's capabilities are on the minimum side of the Win7 requirements anyway. And I don't have forever to screw with this. Every minute I spend means I can't look for new work that pays the bills.

Patrick, would it be better if I started over and installed XP first... and then installed Win7 over it? That way the drivers needed should be available on the system... or not??? :dunno:

Any suggestions appreciated other than "Ubuntu"... no time to mess with that and fight with the wife too over another 'new' system. Thanks... :cool:

Pierre!
08-26-2011, 10:25
The best way to do this is look up the notebooks specs and driver list at the MFG's site... and if there are no Win7 drivers, perhaps it is an XP only system.

The MS drivers *mostly* work, but they are known to have issues depending on make and model of the equip.

And... you are getting to end of life on this beast it sounds like.

I don't believe the extra time of doing an XP install and THEN a Win7 install will be worth the time invested. You can do a clean install of Windows 7 from an upgrade version of Windows 7... you do not have to have an OS installed. And I am not sure that the drivers will actually be useful at that point.

Not sure why it took such a long time to install (7 hours?). I would try getting on one of your other systems and see about downloading the Chipset, Network, and Video drivers for Windows 7 on that notebook, put em on a thumb drive, and install them to the notebook in that order... and that is if you can get it started again.

Hope that Helps you...

Patrick

Obi Wan
08-26-2011, 11:10
I'll give it a try after lunch... again. I've got several HP sites up on my desktop so I can download some of the stuff I need. Will have to locate the rest.

Another suggestion given to me was to contact HP to see if they have a Win7 Restore Disk. Will have to check on that one.

What this comes down to is how foolish it is to believe the "Win7 Advisor" software that told me that everything should run OK. It should have flagged all these driver issues, et al... and whatever else is going on... or just said... "DON'T UPGRADE!" :cool:

Thanks... will keep you posted. Hopefully somebody out there will learn more from this than I have. :whistling:

Obi Wan
08-30-2011, 14:26
Well, sorry, Pierre'... after five days I'm giving up. :whistling:

I'm convinced that since I'm unable to locate the proper Win7 drivers for this laptop that it's life will have to continue as an XP SP3 machine... which HP agrees with... and which is fine for what I need it for. I just wanted to upgrade it to match what the other two will be like so that I didn't have to mess with two systems. But since it took 1 hour and 35 minutes this morning to 'Restart' it, and I never could get a couple of programs to run on it, I finally 'got the message'... :supergrin:

Btw, when I did reinstall the Win7 program in an attempt to correct the Program Key issue, I did get it input properly and it ran a little better after that, but not enough. So I'm now reformatting the new HDD to install XP and then update it with SP3 and all the programs I couldn't fit on the 40 GB HDD that was in there before.

Onward... but not via Ubuntu, at least for now. :cool:

Glock 1
09-06-2011, 13:03
I just did an XP to 7 upgrade on an older HP and even had to install a new HD. If you are still having hard drive issues, try disabling Legacy support in the BIOS. I know it sounds stupid but it worked on the one I fixed.

Also, HP has an upgradability link on their website but it sucks. I am guessing you upgraded to 32 bit Win7? It can be done even if HP says it cannot. If they donít list 7 drivers, see if they show Vista drivers. They will usually work.

Also, partitioning your hard drive at the DOS level or Windows OS install level partitions it for the computer as well as Windows. Letting Windows create volumes is cool but you will see no performance improvement as the hardware still sees it as one drive. Only the OS sees it differently. Not that it will make that big of a difference, just more of an FYI. Either one works and with Windows you have more flexibility with the OS running.