Reloading and women [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading and women

PCJim
08-22-2011, 21:43
Well, once again, it looks like it might happen: A lady comes acalling, messes up my lifestyle, and leaves without as much as saying goodbye. Go figure. Irene looks like she might be blowing on the back of my neck this week.

If we decide to shut down the office, I suppose I'll finish off some more test rounds of 44Mag for the newly acquired Contender and build some .223 with TAC, since a few of you really tout the powder. I love my BL-C2, but try to keep an open mind. Then again, that open mind is what brings us full circle to the first comment above.

Just glad that I'm well stocked on the single malts, and have plenty of water containers to keep hydrated if the blow is hard and the wood can't handle it.

Steve Koski
08-22-2011, 21:56
Hunker down. Keep them AR mags loaded.

Whitey1
08-22-2011, 21:59
I hear as you get older it takes longer to reload. You may see your Dr to see if the pill will help your situation.

:tongueout:

Beanie-Bean
08-22-2011, 22:01
Be safe out there!

Whitey1
08-22-2011, 22:04
Be safe out there!

Oh snap, I just realised what this was about. Take care!

GioaJack
08-22-2011, 22:16
If you'd stop making your brass so shiny you wouldn't have to worry about those blowing women.

I've warned you before, you just won't listen.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
08-22-2011, 22:54
Stay safe PCJim..

Jack.. take your meds.

IGF

PCJim
08-23-2011, 14:03
Well, I suppose my cases aren't as shiny as I thought they were, as Irene looks like she's joined the ranks of a lot of womenfolk that could care less about this poor ol' sole.

Sometimes, though, that's a good thing. Guess I'll be counting beans Thursday instead of rounds.

Hoser
08-23-2011, 14:46
Girls.

They all have snakes in their heads. Sometime they are poisonous.

Be safe.

Zombie Steve
08-23-2011, 15:01
Got your primers sealed in the vault yet?

Good luck.

unclebob
08-23-2011, 15:20
This is the time when I take the press apart and clean it waiting for the hopefully only the lights going out. Looks like you should get some wind and rain. Hopefully nothing bad.

PCJim
08-23-2011, 15:26
Got your primers sealed in the vault yet?

Good luck.

Much too aware of the potential hazards to store that stuff in the vault. It'd be my luck......

Besides, I did that primer test a year or two ago which proved that a primer, after drying out, is not effected by immersion in water. That being said, if a storm surge should ever happen to reach us (my home is 2 miles inland from the bay), it won't be potable water that the primers get soaked with. I hope I never have the opportunity to report on that experiment!

PCJim
08-23-2011, 15:34
This is the time when I take the press apart and clean it waiting for the hopefully only the lights going out. Looks like you should get some wind and rain. Hopefully nothing bad.

Thanks, Bob. I know you've gone thru the drill a time or two, also. If she were projected to be closer, I might do the same and seal them in plastic. Powders and primers, too! The bullets wouldn't be effected much by a leaking roof, and could always be rinsed later.

Based on the computer models on WeatherUnderground and the discussions on the NHC site, we should be well west of the eye. Gusty wind and rain, depending upon where the bands fall, is all I'm hoping we get. We've impact windows on most all the windows, and shutters for those we don't. I'm not planning on getting them out for this one.

And so the ever growing excitement continues.......

WiskyT
08-23-2011, 18:23
So, if they named it Ignacio, you'd be a fruit?

PhantomF4E
08-23-2011, 19:43
Looks like Florida dodged a bullet. Down here on the south side anyway. Looks like your primers are safe for now !!!

WiskyT
08-23-2011, 19:52
According to NOAA, there is only a 5% chance of huricane force winds hitting anywhere in the USA. Of course between the earthquake and the hurican warning, it's no wonder people ignore this stuff.

PCJim
08-23-2011, 20:37
So, if they named it Ignacio, you'd be a fruit?

:rofl:Good one!

Looks like Florida dodged a bullet. Down here on the south side anyway. Looks like your primers are safe for now !!!

Agreed. While it could stall, and drift westwardly if the Atlantic high ridge should build, the probability is about nill. I'm an amateur weather buff and try to keep up on these critters...

According to NOAA, there is only a 5% chance of huricane force winds hitting anywhere in the USA. Of course between the earthquake and the hurican warning, it's no wonder people ignore this stuff.

There's a LOT of people along the eastern seaboard that wishes that 5% statement was true!

While I'm greatly relieved that we're in the clear, I was kinda looking forward to spending the day Thursday watching the storm pass by while loading up a bunch more .223. Guess I shouldn't look that gift horse in the mouth...

IndyGunFreak
08-23-2011, 22:03
Girls.

They all have snakes in their heads. Sometime they are poisonous.

Be safe.

Guns and Women... I love the smell of both, but one gets you in to trouble, and the other gets you out.

:)

IGF

netmage2112
08-24-2011, 11:59
If we decide to shut down the office, I suppose I'll finish off some more test rounds of 44Mag for the newly acquired Contender and build some .223 with TAC, since a few of you really tout the powder. I love my BL-C2, but try to keep an open mind. Then again, that open mind is what brings us full circle to the first comment above.

Just glad that I'm well stocked on the single malts, and have plenty of water containers to keep hydrated if the blow is hard and the wood can't handle it.

Let me know how that TAC works out....

unclebob
08-25-2011, 15:18
PCJim
Any affects from the storm yet. Looks like the eye is straight across from you. But at least still out in the Atlantic.

PCJim
08-25-2011, 15:44
We had some gusty, medium rains but no gullywashers. Winds have been very light most of the day. We got lucky.

Can't say the same for my family up the east coast. Current storm track puts the eye directly over them on Saturday/Sunday - not good. Trying to get my parents to go inland to another relative's home is like talking to a brick wall (funny, that's probably how they felt about me back when I was a teenager!).

Thanks for the concern, Bob. If we continue to dodge these women, maybe our insurance rates will eventually start to decrease. :rofl:

Zombie Steve
08-25-2011, 15:53
Dammit. I was going to make a road trip for your lead if you died.

PCJim
08-25-2011, 16:08
Dammit. I was going to make a road trip for your lead if you died.

Well, I ain't dead...yet. If you do make that road trip, how 'bout giving my son a ride too. :whistling:

n2extrm
08-25-2011, 20:25
Well the storm appeers to be headed directly over my house on long island NY. What is worse is I am in a hotel in Hartford / Windsor CT on business and they are mandating us to stay here for the storm. I will be working straight through for the next 10 days if this hits like they say, then home. If it hits we may stay on for a few weeks straight to handle damages. I was looking forward to going home Saturday, we had my sons 1st birthday party planes.

Prayers for all the folks in the path of the storm. Be safe.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PCJim
08-25-2011, 21:43
N2, I feel for you. You try to make plans, then the storm of the century comes and screws it all up.

We're praying for all of you along the eastern seaboard. I'm very much afraid this is not going to be a "near miss".

Colorado4Wheel
08-26-2011, 06:43

So now your the one with a bulls-eye on your back.

WiskyT
08-26-2011, 13:08
So now your the one with a bulls-eye on your back.

I don't follow you. Our 5 day forecast calls for no rain. This is going to be a big annoyance. Somewhere, a house will loose it's roof, and all the camera crews will be there showing it repeatedly.

This is just bho trying to look Presidential and all the big city pols raking in fema money and kissing his ass. NC has already recieved fema money. Waht a surprise, we have a dem gov and bho won this state by like 6 votes. It's no swaet off of his sack to spend a few billion of OUR dollars to buy 6 votes in each state that he might be able to hold onto in a '12.

Colorado4Wheel
08-26-2011, 14:24
You must not live near the coast.

WiskyT
08-26-2011, 19:19
You must not live near the coast.

Nope, I'm a land lubbing flatlander. I just checked, because even Fox News is saying that Irene is hitting Morehead City and the winds are 100+MPH. The current wind speed in Morehead Cty is 33MPH with 40MOH gusts:upeyes:

They are actually closing the NYC subway sytem, something that is unheard of. They are evacuating patients from NYC hospitals where they risk a high probability of dying from the evacuation.

WiskyT
08-26-2011, 19:21
Latest Conditions History
Heavy Rain
79F 26C
Humidity 89% Barometer 29.50 in.
Dew Point 75F Wind NE 24 MPH
Visibility 2 1/2SM Wind Gust 37 MPH
Reported at Beaufort, Michael J Smith Field Airport, NC
at 9:05 PM EDT FRI AUG 26 2011

Colorado4Wheel
08-26-2011, 19:28
You act like it's no big deal. I lived in Hampton at least a mile from the water. We got hit by a very, very weak hurricane (barely Cat 1) We couldn't drive down the road for days, didn't have power for a week. 100ft tall trees were snapping at 20 ft and slicing through houses like a knife. It was a mess. I respect any Hurricane. Don't understand why your so bitter about people getting hit by these things. I have been in Cat 2 storms with less trouble then that weak Cat 1.

WiskyT
08-26-2011, 19:33
You act like it's no big deal. I lived in Hampton at least a mile from the water. We got hit by a very, very weak hurricane (barely Cat 1) We couldn't drive down the road for days, didn't have power for a week. 100ft tall trees were snapping at 20 ft and slicing through houses like a knife. It was a mess. I respect any Hurricane. Don't understand why your so bitter about people getting hit by these things. I have been in Cat 2 storms with less trouble then that weak Cat 1.

I'm not "bitter" about anything. I just know when we are being sold a pile of BS. This has the same stink on it as the whole y2k thing. I lived 12 miles from the ocean for 36 years just outside NYC. I know what hurricanes can do. They are calling for 6" of rain and 65MPH winds for NYC, yet they are causing as much panic as the War of the Worlds broadcast.

Colorado4Wheel
08-26-2011, 19:48
News loves drama. Even the right Cat 1 can make a real mess. Getting people to leave is important. I don't like the new much either but it's important to get people to leave.

WiskyT
08-26-2011, 19:53
News loves drama. Even the right Cat 1 can make a real mess. Getting people to leave is important. I don't like the new much either but it's important to get people to leave.

People need to leave shore areas. My parents left this morning from their beach house in NJ. But they are closing the Garden State Parkway, the NYC subway sytem, they even had a NJ police chief telling people to put an index card with their name and SS in their shoe so their body could be identified. Only a chief of police could manage to spend that many years in police work and not know that people who die of traumatic injuries almost never stay in their shoes and that an index card would be destroyed in whatever huricane conditions would destroy a person. This thing has taken on a life of it's own.

WiskyT
08-26-2011, 19:56
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/24/libyas-missiles-chemicals-worry-us/

This is what we really need to worry about, 20,000 shoulder fired surface to air missles in Libya.

Colorado4Wheel
08-26-2011, 20:08
People need to leave shore areas. My parents left this morning from their beach house in NJ. But they are closing the Garden State Parkway, the NYC subway sytem, they even had a NJ police chief telling people to put an index card with their name and SS in their shoe so their body could be identified. Only a chief of police could manage to spend that many years in police work and not know that people who die of traumatic injuries almost never stay in their shoes and that an index card would be destroyed in whatever huricane conditions would destroy a person. This thing has taken on a life of it's own.

LoL. I was telling my wife that it was crazy how soon they were closing things. People are going to be trapped as a result.

PCJim
08-26-2011, 20:49
I agree with you both. The media has to sensationalize everything to be able to sell their broadcasts, politicians must look like they're protecting their supporters. The popularity and success of The Weather Channel has renewed every media outlet's interest in reporting the weather, as that is what everyone in the path of this storm is concerned about.

I heard on NPR this evening that the early mass transit shutdown in NYC is only due to it's complexity - it takes eight hours to shut it down? I suppose that is taking in to consideration getting every bus, subway, etc. back to a safe parking lot?

This storm is no where near the strength of Katrina. Our public safety officials are only making darn sure they aren't blindsided and made to look inept as happened in '05. Remember also, though, there are a lot of highrises in NYC and the higher above ground you are, the higher the windspeed. I sincerely hope those older buildings have been upgraded with adequate windows to hold against both high pressure and airborne missles.

WiskyT
08-27-2011, 06:04
I agree with you both. The media has to sensationalize everything to be able to sell their broadcasts, politicians must look like they're protecting their supporters. The popularity and success of The Weather Channel has renewed every media outlet's interest in reporting the weather, as that is what everyone in the path of this storm is concerned about.

I heard on NPR this evening that the early mass transit shutdown in NYC is only due to it's complexity - it takes eight hours to shut it down? I suppose that is taking in to consideration getting every bus, subway, etc. back to a safe parking lot?

This storm is no where near the strength of Katrina. Our public safety officials are only making darn sure they aren't blindsided and made to look inept as happened in '05. Remember also, though, there are a lot of highrises in NYC and the higher above ground you are, the higher the windspeed. I sincerely hope those older buildings have been upgraded with adequate windows to hold against both high pressure and airborne missles.

PC, the NYC subway system never stops in the past. It was more dependable than the sun. Then bloomberg becomes mayor, they get a snow storm, and he shuts it down. Now he shuts it down every week. They are closing it at noon on Sat and the storm doesn't get there untill Sun afternoon.

Those buildings are engineered for huricanes and have survived them for over a century. The storm isn't even projected to have huricane force winds by the time it gets to NYC.

The city lives and breaths by the subway system. How are hospital staff supposed to get to work? Cops and FF can't get to work either. What about people who need dialysis, how do they get to the clinic with no subway?

How about planning a wedding for a year and having to cancel it even though it is inland becuase they are shutting everything down? Tens of thousands of dollars right out the window.

Take time off from work to take your kid to college? The colleges are openeing a week late. Now you have to take more time off from work or buy your kid a car so he can get to the campus.

WiskyT
08-27-2011, 06:05
Aug 27, 2011 7:47 AM Temp

80.6FSwitch to Celsius
mph
Hi: 81F
Lo: 78FRain: 2.41"
Gust: ENE 60
Heat Index: 91F
Humidity: 94%Dew Point: 79F
Avg Wind: 18 ENE
Pressure: 28.16"
Rain/Month: 0"Sunrise: 6:35 AM
Sunset: 7:40 PM
Moonphase:

As reported at: Michael J Smith Field Airport

PCJim
08-27-2011, 11:16
Wisky, always better to be over prepared than under prepared. I'm sure that liberal mayor of NYC took into consideration the costs of a systemwide shutdown, and the complexities of continuining care for those who require it.

Flooding is their main concern. We both know the city has very low areas, and how a hurricane or nor'easter can push water when conditions are right. Should this end up being all for naught, it will only work against that anti-gun liberal. Let's pray its all for naught.

WiskyT
08-27-2011, 12:09
Wisky, always better to be over prepared than under prepared. I'm sure that liberal mayor of NYC took into consideration the costs of a systemwide shutdown, and the complexities of continuining care for those who require it.

Flooding is their main concern. We both know the city has very low areas, and how a hurricane or nor'easter can push water when conditions are right. Should this end up being all for naught, it will only work against that anti-gun liberal. Let's pray its all for naught.

I hear ya. They are even shutting down the buses. So nurses, Drs etc will be stuck working for 2-3 days for a messy windstorm and their relief will be stuck in home. Can you imaging what it will be like when the trains and buses start running again on a weekday? Millions of people all trying to use the system at the exact same time.

unclebob
08-27-2011, 13:55
I hear ya. They are even shutting down the buses. So nurses, Drs etc will be stuck working for 2-3 days for a messy windstorm and their relief will be stuck in home. Can you imaging what it will be like when the trains and buses start running again on a weekday? Millions of people all trying to use the system at the exact same time.

I take it that you have never been in a hurricane. It is a little more than a wind storm. Im sure that hospitals will have extra doctors and nurses already staged at the hospital before the storm hits. Depending on the damage I would say a lot of people are not going to be able to back to work for a couple of days depending on how the storm hits. I will say the subways will be flooded. Busses are not going to be running until after the storm passes. We will see what you say after Sunday. Or latter because you have no power, maybe cell phone will work? Just be glad it is only a category one and not a 4 or 5. Those I get the hell out of Dodge and probably will not have a house to come back too.

n2extrm
08-27-2011, 14:42
My wife works for large hospital system one they evacuated. They were told to bring a change of clothes when they were being called in as early as Thursday. Wind is an issue with construction maybe more so then the buildings. The cranes at ground zero are rated for 65 or so mph. I bought the scaffold and the sort are any better and are all over. Keep in mind the close quarters and dense population. Oh and before someone says it you can't take the cranes down in time. It takes 3 days or so to jump 1 floor. Water is a real concern. Buses can't be driven they are too unstable over 45 50 mph. As bob said thankful it looks to be losing power. I just hope it really is l hype.

WiskyT
08-27-2011, 15:19
I take it that you have never been in a hurricane. It is a little more than a wind storm. Im sure that hospitals will have extra doctors and nurses already staged at the hospital before the storm hits. Depending on the damage I would say a lot of people are not going to be able to back to work for a couple of days depending on how the storm hits. I will say the subways will be flooded. Busses are not going to be running until after the storm passes. We will see what you say after Sunday. Or latter because you have no power, maybe cell phone will work? Just be glad it is only a category one and not a 4 or 5. Those I get the hell out of Dodge and probably will not have a house to come back too.

Bob, why is it whenever someone disagrees with you, you think they have never been there before? I've directed traffic in huricanes for crying out loud. Remember Gloria and Agnes? NYC is different than a barrier island in the Carribean. Trees go down, power goes out, some poor soul has a tree come down on him while driving and dies, basements fill up with water, roofers make money and insurance companies pay claims.

unclebob
08-27-2011, 16:03
Bob, why is it whenever someone disagrees with you, you think they have never been there before? I've directed traffic in huricanes for crying out loud. Remember Gloria and Agnes? NYC is different than a barrier island in the Carribean. Trees go down, power goes out, some poor soul has a tree come down on him while driving and dies, basements fill up with water, roofers make money and insurance companies pay claims.

Lets dont call the kettle black there bucko.

WiskyT
08-27-2011, 16:15
Lets dont call the kettle black there bucko.

I'm not. BTW, the current wind speed in Norfolk VA are under 30mph.

Colorado4Wheel
08-27-2011, 16:35
I'm not. BTW, the current wind speed in Norfolk VA are under 30mph.

No, 58mph in Hampton and Norfolk. Your just in a pissy mood. I child died in NC, several other adults in Virginia. Sorry this is making watching TV tough for you. Maybe you should switch to the History channel. I can't reach my brother right now and he is in Suffolk VA. He should be fine because he doesn't have any high trees near his house.

GioaJack
08-27-2011, 16:41
Hoe come we're talking about black kettles... are we going to start studying witchcraft? I was married to three of 'em.

(Ya can't avoid 'em, they're in the dating world too.)

Jack

WiskyT
08-27-2011, 17:30
No, 58mph in Hampton and Norfolk. Your just in a pissy mood. I child died in NC, several other adults in Virginia. Sorry this is making watching TV tough for you. Maybe you should switch to the History channel. I can't reach my brother right now and he is in Suffolk VA. He should be fine because he doesn't have any high trees near his house.

Bro, here's the live readings, as I type it's 10 MPH. BTW, we get 60MPH winds here in thunderstorms all the time. Roofs are rated at 70MPH. Several adults die every day in VA. This just isn't news. Quick, find a video of a destroyed mobile home...

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Norfolk,%20Virginia&MR=1

WiskyT
08-27-2011, 17:31
Here's a different Norfolk weather station in case you think the meter is broken

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Norfolk,%20Virginia&MR=1

Colorado4Wheel
08-27-2011, 18:11
Do you even watch the news. It's not 18mph in Norfolk during the hurricane. 6 people have died up to this point. Not being histrionic but it's also not a non-event either.

WiskyT
08-27-2011, 18:14
Do you even watch the news. It's not 18mph in Norfolk during the hurricane. 6 people have died up to this point. Not being histrionic but it's also not a non-event either.

Why would you watch someone else report the wind speed whan you can look at the live feed from the friggin airport yourself? It's 38 gusting to 51 right now, enough to send your garbage can into your neighbor's yard. Do they have 50 mph gusts in Colorado? I bet they do, do they kill people?

PCJim
08-27-2011, 21:24
All right, everyone. Let's calm down a bit as bickering and debating the precautions taken by emergency management aren't going to change what was done.

This storm ended up, THANKFULLY, a weaker storm than was forecast. Granted, the winds and flooding up to this point in South Hampton Roads is not much different than a strong Nor'easter. That being said, there are areas that are flooded, and the prospects for communities on the coast further north are not good.

As regards NYC, hopefully Irene will remain a weak H or TS and not create a lot of wind damage. Sure, there will be power outages similar to what we have already seen in NC/VA/MD/DE/NJ. But, power outages is not a major problem unless you're stuck in a subway tunnel because the grid lost power and storm surge begins to flood the tunnel, or you're an elderly person and cannot traverse the 40 floors to ground level because the elevator isn't working. Again, had this storm remained a strong H, flooding would have been a problem. NYC cannot shut down quickly.

Granted, isolated storms can have higher winds and cause just as much havoc, but it is nowhere near as widespread, and storm surge certainly doesn't become a consideration. Maybe a flash flood if you're in the hills, but that is also a concern with the rainfall being experienced in western NC/VA.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. You're ALWAYS best to be over prepared than underprepared. BTW, my parents have power, everyone else I know in the area has been without power since mid morning. And for my friends up there, NO, I'm not making a beer and ice run. :cool:

Colorado4Wheel
08-27-2011, 21:49
We are up to 9 dead at this point. It's just a flesh wound.

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 05:18
We are up to 9 dead at this point. It's just a flesh wound.

9 dead people, most probably not from the storm, is not a big deal in an area with 100,000,000 people, get a hold of your self there Margaret. 9 dead people, is a busy Saturday night in Newark NJ.

30MPH at LaGuardia, Don't answer the door if you see this person calling:

http://images.wikia.com/characters/images/5/55/Grim_reaper.jpg

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 06:56
I just spoke via cellphone to my old work partner who is still on the job. He is on duty, as I type this, 15 miles west of Manhatten. They've all been held over, anyone who was not working and dumb enough to answer the phone was recalled. Some have been working for over 20 hours straight and they are not allowed to work more than 16.

There has been virtually NO WIND. He described it as an extrememly heavy rainstorm with gentle breezes. Some trees have fallen due to the ground being saturated from last weeks heavy rains. This has caused some power to go out, lots of phone lines down from dead limbs finally coming down.

He calls it a big fat zero with everyone making $70.00 an hour on OT.

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 07:02
Here's the text from a buddy of mine who retired off the job. He is in Belleville,NJ.

worst of the storm. storm was over rated

Here is the pic he attached of his back yard:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/2.jpg

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 07:32
I knew I smelled a rat with Irene and all the pols and media hyping it. I found it:

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/178481-irene-set-to-bleed-fema-inflame-budget-scrap

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 07:50
Chris Wallce is on right now talking about 65mph winds and showing a live shot of Times Square.

Here is a live cam of TS and while it takes a while to load, you can see people walking around with umbrellas and the umbrellas aren't even moving around.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/index.php?cam=streaming

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 08:13
Here is a screen capture of a lve cam in Times Square. Notice the death and destruction:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/TS1.png

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 09:41
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

NSFW due to some male nudity.

Epic Weather Channel Fail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Nbwrq7dyw