Man who tried to murder me sentenced yesterday [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Man who tried to murder me sentenced yesterday

Sparkster
08-23-2011, 07:06
Some of you expressed an interest to be updated as this case progressed so I thought I would stop in and let you know that Shane Roush was sentenced to 25 years in exchange for a guilty plea yesterday. He still faces two federal charges with each carrying 10 to life.

10TV Columbus: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/08/22/mount-gilead-deputy-shooting-man-sentenced.html
Mansfield NEws Journal: http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20110823/NEWS01/108230304/Man-sentenced-Morrow-County-deputy-shooting?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFrontpage
Old article from around the time of the shooting: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2010/12/13/deputy-determined-to-overcome-wounds.html

Bushido5150
08-23-2011, 07:10
Wow..prayers for your continued healing!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

collim1
08-23-2011, 07:21
Here's to hoping he serves them consecutively!

Gunshine
08-23-2011, 07:23
What a story. And what a guy. Your strength and courage is an example to us all.

ancient_serpent
08-23-2011, 07:30
Just read your story for the first time, amazing presence of mind to make that shot. If ever in that position, I hope to do as well. Glad this scum got some time in prison, may they be miserable ones.
Prayers are with you

A6Gator
08-23-2011, 07:36
Here's to hoping he serves them consecutively!

Really. 25 years the shooting seems like a gift...:steamed:

Cochese
08-23-2011, 07:43
So, after being hit 4.5 times by RIFLE fire, you won the gun fight with a pistol, one handed, from a distance of 50 yards??

You sir, are a BAD ASS. I hope your recovery progresses and you return to your life as it was, or better.

You are a true street warrior. :patriot:

Hope him and his scumbag wife enjoy prison.

Kadetklapp
08-23-2011, 07:46
Some of you expressed an interest to be updated as this case progressed so I thought I would stop in and let you know that Shane Roush was sentenced to 25 years in exchange for a guilty plea yesterday. He still faces two federal charges with each carrying 10 to life.

10TV Columbus: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/08/22/mount-gilead-deputy-shooting-man-sentenced.html
Mansfield NEws Journal: http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20110823/NEWS01/108230304/Man-sentenced-Morrow-County-deputy-shooting?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFrontpage
Old article from around the time of the shooting: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2010/12/13/deputy-determined-to-overcome-wounds.html

Godspeed, my brother, Godspeed.

If there is anything we can do for you here, please let us know.

A hat-tip to you for your courageous ability to forgive the worthless sack of protoplasm.

CJStudent
08-23-2011, 07:47
So, after being hit 4.5 times by RIFLE fire, you won the gun fight with a pistol, one handed, from a distance of 50 yards??

You sir, are a BAD ASS. I hope your recovery progresses and you return to your life as it was, or better.

What he said!

merlynusn
08-23-2011, 07:57
At least he won't be eligible for early release.

Prayers for your continued healing.

Detectorist
08-23-2011, 07:58
You took 4 rifle rounds and were able to return accurate fire and disable the BG? You, SIR, are a BAD *** WARRIOR!! You had the will to win.

Thank you for your service and you'll be in my prayers for a painless and speedy recovery.

I hope the bg never gets out of jail.

blownhemi
08-23-2011, 08:10
I hope your recovery goes well.

Goes to show though that the fight isn't over when the first person gets hit, you need keep fighting until the threat is over.

collim1
08-23-2011, 08:16
Really. 25 years the shooting seems like a gift...:steamed:

Well to be honest I hope he catches a shank in the liver on his first day of prison, but the judges in my area are known for "hug a thug" light sentencing, even in serious cases.

And to the OP, you are a fighter, good luck with your recovery.

Sam Spade
08-23-2011, 08:26

Well, he probably did it strong-handed. And without a hat, so it shouldn't count. :cool:

My respects to you, Sparkster. I hope your story is being used as an exemplar for our new cops.

Hack
08-23-2011, 08:30
Thank God for you sir, and Him for giving you strength to finish the battle.

Although it would not have bothered me for the bg to be killed as a result of his foolishness, it is good that he will see prison for a long time to come.

Should you believe it, you sir I believe can achieve it with God's help; whether going back to law enforcement, going on to work in Christian ministry, perhaps you could do both. We need more people of your calibre in both areas of work.

Heal well sir, and God bless you and yours regardless of which path you follow later after your healing.

Deployment Solu
08-23-2011, 08:33
You took 4 rifle rounds and were able to return accurate fire and disable the BG? You, SIR, are a BAD *** WARRIOR!! You had the will to win.

Thank you for your service and you'll be in my prayers for a painless and speedy recovery.

I hope the bg never gets out of jail.

DITTO!! You are a true HERO!!!

A6Gator
08-23-2011, 08:45
Well to be honest I hope he catches a shank in the liver on his first day of prison, but the judges in my area are known for "hug a thug" light sentencing, even in serious cases.

And to the OP, you are a fighter, good luck with your recovery.

If there's karma, that sounds about right, after he gets gang-raped in the shower...

Hat's off to you Sparkster for staying in the fight and prevailing!

bruzer
08-23-2011, 09:04
Wow. I am at a loss for words. Prayer sent.
Mike

Ajon412
08-23-2011, 09:28

This.....Keep the faith, Brother....Prayers for a FULL recovery.....

Hedo1
08-23-2011, 09:32
Amazing story. Well done.

redbaron007
08-23-2011, 09:32
:wow: I have no words!

^^^
This!!

Thoughts and prayers!!

:wavey:

red

Sparkster
08-23-2011, 09:48

Umm... 62 yards was the exact measurement but who's counting :whistling:

Well, he probably did it strong-handed. And without a hat, so it shouldn't count. :cool:
My fault for leaving my hat in the truck. I even had it on a few minutes prior. I'll remember next time. :cool:

Thank God for you sir, and Him for giving you strength to finish the battle.

Although it would not have bothered me for the bg to be killed as a result of his foolishness, it is good that he will see prison for a long time to come.

Should you believe it, you sir I believe can achieve it with God's help; whether going back to law enforcement, going on to work in Christian ministry, perhaps you could do both. We need more people of your calibre in both areas of work.

Heal well sir, and God bless you and yours regardless of which path you follow later after your healing.

In all seriousness I give God all the glory for surviving. When the shots first rang out I screamed "Oh God, Oh God!" it was all my brain could come up with. Proverbs says the name of the Lord is a strong tower in which the believer can take refuge.

Regarding the BG dying; bruising indicates I shot him in the heart but his kevlar vest that he bought for the police academy got in the way.

Thanks for the kind words. I can't wait to get back out there and rejoin the ranks. Just a couple more surgeries and some more rehab to go.

GPalmer
08-23-2011, 09:53

+1, sums up what I was thinking pretty nicely!

janice6
08-23-2011, 10:05
You sir are a better man then I. I could never forgive.

Bless and be well.

Kadetklapp
08-23-2011, 10:08
In all seriousness I give God all the glory for surviving. When the shots first rang out I screamed "Oh God, Oh God!" it was all my brain could come up with. Proverbs says the name of the Lord is a strong tower in which the believer can take refuge.

Excellent! :supergrin:

HeliGlock
08-23-2011, 10:10
God Bless You Sparkster. Good luck in what ever direction the Good Lord has in store for you.

Goldendog Redux
08-23-2011, 10:11

Hardcore man. Hardcore. The only time I ever really get creeped out at work is the though of getting sniped.

Never give up I guess. I never really have the words for stuff like this.

MF

nitesite10mm
08-23-2011, 10:28
Sparkster~

I'll carry thoughts of your victory and bravery with me for a long time to come. You leave me inspired as to what can be accomplished if one just trusts in himself and God.

I am simply in awe of your determination and cool-headedness.

God Bless You.

BailRecoveryAgent
08-23-2011, 10:29

This times a billion. I hope that dirtbag enjoys many boyfriends during his days to come in prison.
Umm... 62 yards was the exact measurement but who's counting :whistling:

62 YARDS??:wow: I'd like to be able to shoot like that without being shot 4.5 times with a rifle.

God bless you sir, I hope you make a full recovery and good luck with your ministry. The Lord has big plans for you whether you go back to law enforcement or not.

Thank you for sharing, and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

engineer151515
08-23-2011, 10:31
God bless you.

You really faced down something terrible.

ron8903
08-23-2011, 11:10
God blessed you my friend,
And me also, after 25 years on the job, never once
did I experience any thing close to what you went through!

And God does get the Glory!

PuroMexicano
08-23-2011, 11:21
Godspeed my friend, hope you return to duty soon, and thanks for motivating us with your story of survival.

Ajon412
08-23-2011, 11:40
Umm... 62 yards was the exact measurement but who's counting

I'll be using your story of survival at our next in service qualification. You may not realize it, but you're an inspiration to us all and the perfect example of the tactical, survival and winning mindset..IN ACTION !!!!!

Regarding the BG dying; bruising indicates I shot him in the heart but his kevlar vest that he bought for the police academy got in the way.

BTW, What department did this POS BG work at? .....:steamed:

dougader
08-23-2011, 12:30
A true American hero. God bless you and your family.

genecole
08-23-2011, 12:33
Absolutey awesome job sparkster. You are the prime example of will to win attitude. God speed to you on your recovery and return to work. Stories like this make me proud to wear the badge and hope that I can live up to it.

Just the other day we had a few guys whining about how we have to shoot weak handed and as far as 25 yards in our qualification course. Will definetely use this as an example when they start up next time.

seanmac45
08-23-2011, 12:50
Sparkster;

Yours is an incredible story of courage and determination to live. I can't thank you enough for sharing your experiences with us and providing a sterling example of a survival mindset.

Please let us know how your recovery is going. That is way more important than the mutt's situation.

Take care, and I wish you all the best.

Sean

OldCurlyWolf
08-23-2011, 13:01
When in the academy, we used to shoot and hit well at 50 yards, but we weren't bleeding and going into shock from bullet wounds.

That is what a warrior is capable of.

ateamer
08-23-2011, 13:17
Outstanding, Sparkster! You never gave up.

pesticidal
08-23-2011, 13:20
Prayers for your continuing recovery.

ldmtulsa
08-23-2011, 14:18
Incredible story. 62 yards, one handed. Congratulation on surviving and persevering.
You are one heck of a LEO!!

Unistat
08-23-2011, 14:46

Absolutely QF-MF-T!

b52ace
08-23-2011, 14:48
May God continue to bless you and your family.

nikerret
08-23-2011, 15:01
Holy DAMN! Glad you made it through. I'm going to try to make a 62 yard shot with one hand.

Best thoughts in everything.

ray9898
08-23-2011, 15:11
Great story of survival. People like this should be put away for life, no point in reducing their punishment because their attempt failed. It does not make them any less dangerous to society.

Vigilant
08-23-2011, 15:46
I suspect you had some help from the Lord Himself in responding as you did, and that speaks even more highly of you.

IIRC, a friend of yours posted here about it right after it happened.

And for the record, concurrent sentences are just one more of many abominations in our justice system. Boxcars or nothing. Concurrent is the same as nothing; it just looks better on paper.

packsaddle
08-23-2011, 16:23
:patriot:

Dragoon44
08-23-2011, 16:36
Great job! thanks for sharing your story.

Every Cop needs the mental attitude that until they are unconscious or dead, FIGHT!

BailRecoveryAgent
08-23-2011, 17:28
When in the academy, we used to shoot and hit well at 50 yards, but we weren't bleeding and going into shock from bullet wounds.

That is what a warrior is capable of.

Every Cop needs the mental attitude that until they are unconscious or dead, FIGHT!

Quoted for truth and wisdom.

fla2760
08-23-2011, 17:29
Highest praise to you brother for your performance in the heat of battle and your warrior spirit that declared this scum bag is NOT going to kill me. May God bless you and bring you and your family to full recovery.

opelwasp
08-23-2011, 17:42
You sir are living proof we do not walk these streets alone. God bless and we are praying for you!

Agent6-3/8
08-23-2011, 21:18
Amazing story, sir!

May God continue to bless and guide you. :wavey:

Morris
08-23-2011, 21:23
Brother,

It takes a great deal of courage to write about something like this, let alone answer questions. I wish you success on your return to full service and I am encouraged by your faith, even if I am not a Christian.

Vigilant
08-23-2011, 21:24
You sir are living proof we do not walk these streets alone. God bless and we are praying for you!

Saint Michael the Arcangel, defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.

Bodyarmorguy
08-23-2011, 21:32
Like others I am reading your story for the first time today sir.

Your story is truly an example of a Warrior Spirit and an even better example of the law enforcement phrase gaining in popularity "NOT TODAY! Not on this Call, Not on this stop, Not on this shift!"

having good thoughts for your family and wishing you a continued speedy recovery.

Billua
08-23-2011, 21:32
Best wishes for you and your family Sir!

itstime
08-23-2011, 21:47
God bless you sir. Prayers sent. What an inspiration you are.

Kaybe
08-23-2011, 21:49
I'm from that area. He will be an old man IF he ever sees that light of day again. Glad that you are still with us instead of a name on a memorial. God still have use for you yet. I hope the best for you on your recovery.

Fireplug
08-23-2011, 23:23

This!!

Your ability to forgive speaks to why God kept you here with us.

G27Chief
08-24-2011, 01:35
My Brother you have my prayers and empathy in your continued healing and struggles. May His continued blessings pour upon you and your family.

I trust that the dirt bag receives his due in the Federal system, our desires are often not exacted on this terrestrial home for such a vile existence as him.

Know I am here if you ever need someone to talk to.

Jay

Krauty
08-24-2011, 06:20
Thanks for the update. Thoughts and prayers sent your way.

Cochese
08-24-2011, 10:34

:faint:

Hack
08-24-2011, 10:49
:faint:

Indeed!

MeefZah
08-24-2011, 11:45
Brandon,

I guess maybe I've never really said the words to you, but I have great respect and love for you.

I very much admire your strength and resolve, and your unwavering faith.

As always, whatever I can do for you and Di.

-Mark

Sparkster
08-24-2011, 14:24
Brandon,

I guess maybe I've never really said the words to you, but I have great respect and love for you.

I very much admire your strength and resolve, and your unwavering faith.

As always, whatever I can do for you and Di.

-Mark

Shoot, Mark, you never needed to. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "actions speak louder than words." But thanks all the same. :embarassed:

poodleshooter1
08-24-2011, 15:07

This. Damn, that's some good shooting, badly wounded, one handed, on the ground, at long range...:faint:

Fed Five Oh
08-24-2011, 19:12
The Lord obviously has plans for you on this earth. Keep us posted!

jpa
08-24-2011, 23:31
Wow, that's an amazing situation and I'm glad that you survived and you're well on your way to recovery. God really was looking out for you. God bless and may He continue carrying you through this.

Thank you for your service.

efman
08-25-2011, 00:19
you sir are a role model to young rookies like myself (I also work for a rural SO), being an out standing officer with a winning mindset as well as being a christian man, god bless you and praise the lord for delivering you from harms way!

RussP
08-25-2011, 00:46

Every Cop needs the mental attitude that until they are unconscious or dead, FIGHT!Amen...

Panzergrenadier1979
08-25-2011, 03:09
Wow.....

:shocked:

What do you drink Sparkster? I'm buying.

I pray everyday that, should the situation arise, I will be prepared to instantly go from 0 to 100 just like you did.

I promise you that your story from that day WILL eventually save another officer's life.

It's an honor to have met you even via an internet forum.

God bless you and your family.

Joey

ditchdoc24
08-25-2011, 04:48
Wow, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Well done Brother! I'll be praying for your continued healing and return home. You are an inspiration to all of us!

9x94
08-25-2011, 08:02
Lesser men would have lain down where you fell and died. I pray that we all possess the same fighting spirit within us.
The Lord chose to bring these challenges upon you and your family for a reason. Perhaps to make your family stronger, perhaps to be an inspiration to the rest of us. We can't know for sure, but do know that your horrible experience has set an example for all Officers who hear it and it will one day save another's life when they tell themselves "I WILL NOT GIVE UP, I WILL NOT DIE HERE!"

Please continue to tell your story!

God bless you and your family.

Fernman
08-25-2011, 11:05

+ infinity.

Patchman
08-25-2011, 17:24
Somehow, the sentence seems inadequate.

Glad for your outcome. You set a great reminder and example for all who may one day be in your shoes on one of those really, really bad SHTF days.

08-26-2011, 18:23
Sparkster,

That day was a day Ill never forget and Im glad to see things are working out for you. I seen alot of amazing things from alot of people that day!

4949shooter
08-27-2011, 04:48
Prayers sent for your quick recovery, Brother.

This goes to show how dangerous investigating marijuana fields can be.

Stay safe Brothers and Sisters!

Mayhem like Me
08-27-2011, 10:45

could not have said it any better and take your wife out for a nice evening or two, lets not forget the most important support group you have....

glockurai
08-27-2011, 11:53
Sir, your story is inspiring to say the least. God bless. God willing I will never be in that situation, but if I am I hope to react like you did.
:patriot:

Patchman
08-27-2011, 11:56
Prayers for your continued recovery.

Inspirational.

Not sure if anybody asked, but are you satisfied with the sentence?

Peace Frog
08-27-2011, 12:58
You Sir are a badass!
I am happy you came out of that alive but upset the dirtbag who shot you lived!And WTH? 25 years for attempted Capital Murder?Man our "justice" system sucks!

Continued prayers for a full recovery and your walk with the Lord!

Bodyarmorguy
08-27-2011, 16:51
Brandon's aka Sparkster's story is also told on page 106 of the November issue of Guns & Weapons For law Enforcement which just hit the stands. Great job again my friend.

Sparkster
08-29-2011, 10:14
You Sir are a badass!
I am happy you came out of that alive but upset the dirtbag who shot you lived!And WTH? 25 years for attempted Capital Murder?Man our "justice" system sucks!

Continued prayers for a full recovery and your walk with the Lord!

Thanks. As for the 25 years; there has been recent case-law changes where charges and sentences stemming from the same set of facts must be served concurrently. This would have had him serving about 19 years. The prosecutor could have made a good argument that when he turned the gun from me to the civilians it became a separate incident but when the defense asked for a plea bargain of 25 I agreed. It will get me well past retirement and he also has two federal charges pending with each carrying 10-life.

Brandon's aka Sparkster's story is also told on page 106 of the November issue of Guns & Weapons For law Enforcement which just hit the stands. Great job again my friend.

I'll be happy to sign autographs at my next public appearance http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/naughty.gif http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/lol8.gif

OldCurlyWolf
08-29-2011, 22:09
Thanks. As for the 25 years; there has been recent case-law changes where charges and sentences stemming from the same set of facts must be served concurrently. This would have had him serving about 19 years. The prosecutor could have made a good argument that when he turned the gun from me to the civilians it became a separate incident but when the defense asked for a plea bargain of 25 I agreed. It will get me well past retirement and he also has two federal charges pending with each carrying 10-life.

I'll be happy to sign autographs at my next public appearance http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/naughty.gif http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/lol8.gif

No autograph requested, but if we ever meet, I will be offering my hand, empty.:cool:

Lone_Wolfe
09-30-2011, 04:27
No autograph requested, but if we ever meet, I will be offering my hand, empty.:cool:

Hopefully my hand will have a beer for you in it Sparkster. I'd heard about what happened to you, but never read your whole story, sir. You're a fighter and an inspiration to us all, and God's got a reason for you. Hope you keep on healing up and can enjoy the ride. :patriot:

NEOH212
10-01-2011, 02:40
I'm so glad to hear that your doing well and that you and your family are finally able to put this behind you. As a civilian, I thank you for doing what you do. It's not a easy job and as can be seen by what you went through, it's a dangerous job as well. Thank you for your service and God Bless. :wavey:

Vigilant
10-01-2011, 09:39
Now, get back to work and send us some customers. :thumbsup:

Al Czervik
10-01-2011, 09:47

Yeah, what he ^^^^ said.
Prayers for a full recovery.

PrecisionRifleman
10-01-2011, 10:02
Well done!!! Quiet amazing on both parties. Sparkster awesome shooting especially under those circumstances, and I agree with others that your warrior mindset to over come any obstacle along with God brought you through your moment of truth.

In regards to the criminal shooting an assault rifle at 50 yards...thank God he was a horrible shot and a weak minded bas****. Other wise things would have gone differently.

4TS&W
10-01-2011, 10:59
The stats on this encounter is amazing... and some don't believe that faith can move mountains!!

I hope you have a speedy recovery.. you are a credit to your agency, profession, family.. I could keep going with this. Good on ya!

1 old 0311
10-01-2011, 15:01
Sorry it took that to get a POS off the street but hopefully he will never see light of day again.

MB-G26
10-01-2011, 18:52

^THIS!

:faint: :faint:

]Added: I just read the original story for the first time. I have to go now. Nose needs blowing and there's something in both my eyes - allergies horrible this time of year.......