Irene is ramping up! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Irene is ramping up!

Aceman
08-23-2011, 07:20
Are YOU ready Florida members? :wow:

cyrsequipment
08-23-2011, 07:26
Reason # 6,345,457 that I live in Maine... No regular Hurricanes, and IF they get here, they are pretty weak by that time.

Good luck everyone, stay safe!

bdcochran
08-23-2011, 08:11
Flash - Made up headline news.

1. No runs this year on bread, toilet paper, generators, and water. People stocked ahead of time.
2. No long lines of cars on the road two hours before the hurricane hits. People got out of town early.

kirgi08
08-23-2011, 08:12
By the current tracking it looks like it it'll go thru SC and then hit NC around Charlotte,were 2hrs west of Charlotte.We got double dipped a few years ago,2 storms come thru and u-turned and did it again.Our waste treatment plant got flooded and "city" water was declared "unsafe".Our well saved us,while folks were getting bottled h2o we were giving h2o ta family and friends.'08.

LongGun1
08-23-2011, 09:21
When I hear "Irene"...

..I think of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yOEOJ1BARk

cowboy1964
08-23-2011, 10:25
The projections seem to be moving further east with each update. Still, the whole coast is going to be in the bad NW quadrant of it.

G29Reload
08-23-2011, 11:20
Fl my butt, it could hit va.

Check bourbon and beer stocks. Check.
Test generator. Check.
Load shotgun. Check.
Rev up portable propane fridge. Check.

Ok, all set here. Think the chainsaw is ready.

M1A Shooter
08-23-2011, 13:55
When I hear "Irene"...

..I think of this...

that was my initial thought as well. :rofl:

TangoFoxtrot
08-24-2011, 03:04
We are expected to get wacked as well. I'm already prepped and have a front row seat.

Aceman
08-24-2011, 06:08
I used it as an excuse to kick of the summer 'cane prep season in earnest. Ran a check on ALL supplies. Found a couple gaps, closed them up.

This was a few days ago. Didn't take much.

Converted a little maglite to LED. I'm calling it a win. Good luck Eastern Seaboard members.

cyrsequipment
08-24-2011, 16:32
Reason # 6,345,457 that I live in Maine... No regular Hurricanes, and IF they get here, they are pretty weak by that time.

Good luck everyone, stay safe!

I HAD to go and open my big fat mouth... Now we are looking at Irene being a Cat 1 when she hits Maine on Sunday... DAMMIT!!!

Dalton Wayne
08-24-2011, 16:39
A cat 1 is a puddy cat :whistling:

cyrsequipment
08-24-2011, 16:51
A cat 1 is a puddy cat :whistling:

I'm sure it is, but this is Maine, and the people here react to a Category 1 like people in Texas react to 3 feet of snow...

I still have to deal with these yahoos...

Glockdude1
08-24-2011, 17:05
Fl my butt, it could hit va.

Check bourbon and beer stocks. Check.
Test generator. Check.
Load shotgun. Check.
Rev up portable propane fridge. Check.

Ok, all set here. Think the chainsaw is ready.

You THINK the chainsaw is ready???

What are you waiting for!!!???

:tongueout:

Lugi
08-24-2011, 22:14
When I hear "Irene"...

..I think of this...

Same here.

certifiedfunds
08-25-2011, 11:35
I think a lot of people are way too concerned about this storm event. The worst of it will remain at sea for most everyone concerned. By the time it makes landfall it will be downgraded.

So long as you're 50 miles to the west of the eyewall its just a nasty thunderstorm.

Bolster
08-25-2011, 12:51
Good luck to you East guys. We're rooting for you here in the West. I'm sure you preppers will pull through in good shape.

DoctaGlockta
08-25-2011, 13:27
http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/54098/hurricane-irene-to-slam-into-t.asp

magpie maniac
08-25-2011, 13:36
I think a lot of people are way too concerned about this storm event. The worst of it will remain at sea for most everyone concerned. By the time it makes landfall it will be downgraded.

So long as you're 50 miles to the west of the eyewall its just a nasty thunderstorm.

You must not be too familiar with the geography of the Outer Banks. If it makes landfall around Cape Lookout and plows through Pamlico Sound, it'll be the worst case of storm surge in many years. We're talking about the formation of new inlets.

filthy infidel
08-25-2011, 21:30
They just bumped the forecast track further east, towards me, 120 miles from the NC coast. I've heard about shortages on batteries, water, etc everywhere. My list for tomorrow- pick up a new chainsaw sharpener, fill up a couple of empty gas cans, get some more 2 cycle oil, and get a little more beer.
Everything else has been ready to go for a while now. I pulled the ATV out of the shed Sunday and realized the gennies hadn't been run in a while, they ran fine. I didn't plan on using them so soon, this may be the time...

TangoFoxtrot
08-26-2011, 02:55
We are inside the storms track and I have told my neighbor( An old spinster lady) that her roof is in bad shape and it will be blown apart by the high winds expected here. She chooses to ignore it and said that the roof shingles will hold up and so I get to watch the flying shingle show. Oh well I warned her and even recommended a few roofing companies.

certifiedfunds
08-26-2011, 03:21
You must not be too familiar with the geography of the Outer Banks. If it makes landfall around Cape Lookout and plows through Pamlico Sound, it'll be the worst case of storm surge in many years. We're talking about the formation of new inlets.

I mean, its a hurricane. But at the same time if it follows the current track one location will get a pretty good pounding of trees and shingles but the vast majority of the people concerned are just gonna get some wind and rain as it stays to the east. With so much of the storm over land before it makes landfall I think its going to weaken beyond current forecasts and be a weak storm (as storms go) when the eyewall makes landfall.

I think its being sensationalized due to the population centers in the track and will be a minor event (relative to hurricanes).

filthy infidel
08-26-2011, 05:53
I mean, its a hurricane. But at the same time if it follows the current track one location will get a pretty good pounding of trees and shingles but the vast majority of the people concerned are just gonna get some wind and rain as it stays to the east. With so much of the storm over land before it makes landfall I think its going to weaken beyond current forecasts and be a weak storm (as storms go) when the eyewall makes landfall.

I think its being sensationalized due to the population centers in the track and will be a minor event (relative to hurricanes).

Back in 1996, the news completely missed Fran- it took most of NC by surprise. I paid a lot of tuition cutting trees after that one. I won't ever underestimate a hurricane.