642 Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 642 Sights

J_Rico
08-23-2011, 10:02
Howdy,

Recently purchased a S&W M642. I am pleased with most everything about this small revolver. The biggest drawback for me is the sights. In low light I can not pick them up at all (certainly my aging eyes share the blame). I considered taking some model paint or fingernail polish to the front sight and then decided to do some internet searches. Found all kinds of interesting ideas from whiteout to glow in the dark paint.

What would you suggest? Not looking to add target sights to this gun, just a little contrast so I can make out the front sight.

Thanks,

Mas Ayoob
08-23-2011, 22:18
While I kind of veer toward laser sights and Tritium, the most economical fix is probably bright, Day-Glo Orange or similar colors painted on the front sight. If you're still dabbling in it and aren't sure you want to make it permanent, try some bright "typewriter whiteout" in its various available colors. (Yes, they still make it for us Luddites, who may still own typewriters...and revolvers. :supergrin:) The typewriter "whiteout" cleans off more easily than longer-lasting enamel paint if it turns out you don't like it.

best,
Mas

J_Rico
08-28-2011, 08:48
While I kind of veer toward laser sights and Tritium, the most economical fix is probably bright, Day-Glo Orange or similar colors painted on the front sight. If you're still dabbling in it and aren't sure you want to make it permanent, try some bright "typewriter whiteout" in its various available colors. (Yes, they still make it for us Luddites, who may still own typewriters...and revolvers. :supergrin:) The typewriter "whiteout" cleans off more easily than longer-lasting enamel paint if it turns out you don't like it.

best,
Mas

I considered the crimson trace grips, but my brother has a set on his jframe and they are much bulkier than the stock grips. I do like the idea of adding a laser, but I would still like sights that can be seen in low light, just in case.

I'll try testing different colors of the 'whiteout' for now.

Thanks for taking your time to answer questions.
WB