Question about video cameras/mics [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about video cameras/mics

aliasneo07
08-23-2011, 10:50
Hello all.

First let me say that I am not an LEO. I'm 23, and extremely out of shape, but as soon as I get my fat ass back into shape and finish a little bit more college, I will be pursuing a career in law enforcement. So, to those of you that are/were LEO's, thank you for what you do.

I've always been curious about something. Generally speaking, how do you all feel about on body mics, etc? I admittedly know nothing about them. Are the mics rolling every second you are on duty, or must you activate them? I assume that the cameras in your patrol cars are pretty much always on. How about the mics? Is it recording you when you're on your cell phone, or out getting lunch too? How do you guys feel about them?

Just curious. Thanks :-)

collim1
08-23-2011, 13:42
Camera comes on one of three ways either I activate my lights for a stop, turn in on manually, or it senses an impact.

It is not on throughout the whole shift. You do have to remember to turn it off when the stop or contact is over though, so dont call the chief a monkey's butt until you turn it off.

I've said it here before, my camera has never once hurt me. It has only helped me and made my life easier. I didn't always have a reliable camera so I am glad to have one. I turn it on for any field contact, traffic stop, accident I work you name it.

DaBigBR
08-23-2011, 14:48
Mine activates the same way collim1's does, which is pretty standard. I have ZERO problem with the camera. We also have one minute of pre-event recording so that when the video is activated, the previous one minute is also part of the recording. Great for drunk drivers, red light runners, fights, etc. Ours is set up to NOT record the previous minute of audio and that was a willful decision because you just never know what it would be. With my luck, you'd catch my mad car-singing abilities.

ray9898
08-23-2011, 14:54
Same as above. With the lights, manually or airbag.

aliasneo07
08-24-2011, 08:28
So do you have to be near your car for the body mic to pick up? Or if you arrive at a domestic violence call or something, and are 50 yards away from your car, does the mic still record you, or is it only meant to record you in conjunction with the camera on the car?

Thanks! Always been curious!

Agent6-3/8
08-24-2011, 09:17
Same as the guys above. I don't have a problem with cameras and mics. If you conduct yourself as you are supposed to, as a professional then a camera can be quite an asset.

aliasneo07, as for the mic, I had one that went on my belt and was remotely linked to the camera. I can't speak for the range though.

Kahr_Glockman
08-24-2011, 09:39
Ours are rolling anytime the car is away from the barn. That is policy and we have to activate it. We have body mics and they are on our person when we have a call. We use L3 Mobile Vision and the mic works about 300 feet away from the car.

Kahr_Glockman
08-24-2011, 09:41
Oh our cameras can work the same way as the other guys. Our admin just wants it the way we are doing it.

DaBigBR
08-24-2011, 10:04
So do you have to be near your car for the body mic to pick up? Or if you arrive at a domestic violence call or something, and are 50 yards away from your car, does the mic still record you, or is it only meant to record you in conjunction with the camera on the car?

Thanks! Always been curious!

Different systems, ages of the system, positioning of the body mic antenna, etc have have an impact on range.

Sharky7
08-24-2011, 14:04
Ours are rolling anytime the car is away from the barn. That is policy and we have to activate it. We have body mics and they are on our person when we have a call. We use L3 Mobile Vision and the mic works about 300 feet away from the car.

Seriously? I couldn't imagine having to be recorded all the time. Any personal phone call you have to make really quick is recorded? Conversations away from the Pd with coworkers recorded?

Pepper45
08-24-2011, 15:17
I dislike them. Not because I don't want to be recorded or watched, I really don't care. But in use, they tend to give people the idea that if the camera or mic didn't pick it up, or if it happened out of the view of the camera, that it was bad and the officer is lying. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I watched another guy get grilled by investigators after a use of force, where the actions of the bad guy weren't recorded, but the bad guy getting slammed on the hood were.

Put someone in my passenger seat, and a carload of observers behind me. I'm ok with people seeing what I'm doing. But until folks get over the idea that that one camera is going to capture absolutely everything that happened during my shift, keep it away from me.

Kahr_Glockman
08-24-2011, 21:22
Seriously? I couldn't imagine having to be recorded all the time. Any personal phone call you have to make really quick is recorded? Conversations away from the Pd with coworkers recorded?

No nothing like that. We are allowed to stop the mic when we are just rolling around. Most just turn off the interior mic. We never record each other.

Morris
08-24-2011, 21:53
Search my user name for my thoughts on BWCs (body worn cameras). Hint: highly supportive.