Earthquake in VA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in VA

Glock Man_G19
08-23-2011, 12:19
Wowsa! That was insane. 5.9 earthquake.

rwrjr
08-23-2011, 13:03
In Reston, VA here. First quake for me. Hopefully this is one and done.

Shook the building where I work pretty good. I was in the can at the time. Thought my lunch was disagreeing with me until all the stalls started shaking. :supergrin:

Arvinator
08-23-2011, 18:37
Everyone needs to be prepared. Expect the unexpected...

TattooAl
08-23-2011, 18:48
Yeah they said it was felt up here in Cleveland.

jdavionic
08-23-2011, 19:46
In Reston, VA here. First quake for me. Hopefully this is one and done.

Shook the building where I work pretty good. I was in the can at the time. Thought my lunch was disagreeing with me until all the stalls started shaking. :supergrin:

Damn, that's one impressive crap!

jdavionic
08-23-2011, 19:47
Jokes aside, the immediate observation that I noted was that cell phone communication quickly became unreliable. Not a surprise, but a good reminder.

cowboy1964
08-23-2011, 21:34
Yeah they said it was felt up here in Cleveland.

I was driving at the time so I wouldn't have noticed. I've only ever felt one here in Ohio, the one back in '86.

Kevin108
08-23-2011, 21:46
I was in the basement of a large municipal building drilling a hole. I didn't feel a thing but I got to watch a room full of cops next to me freak out. That was fun!

G29Reload
08-23-2011, 22:09
Jokes aside, the immediate observation that I noted was that cell phone communication quickly became unreliable. Not a surprise, but a good reminder.

I was listening to the local ham repeater and that was the complaint.

Not entirely accurate.

First, it was up but over loaded.

Only ATT and the other old A-side wireless that links towers via MW instead of copper got knocked out. The antennas were likely knocked out of alignment by the shakes.

I'm on Verizon 40 miles from the epicenter and it was fine, voice and data lines.

I missed the damn thing because I was driving, or thought it was something else.

I DID feel an aftershock and that was wicked cool. about 9p

AK_Stick
08-23-2011, 23:05
I think he was meaning more they were likely clogged by calls of other people calling each other to freak out.

5.9 isn't really much of an earthquake though.

Lone Kimono
08-23-2011, 23:20

It's not, but neither is a few inches of snow unless it's in a place where they never get it. I remember someone telling me last winter how a few inches of snow debilitated parts of the south because they weren't situated for it.

Thankfully, this quake didn't cause much damage. That being said it wouldn't necessarily take a large one by CA standards to be disastrous to the East since they don't build things to withstand them.

TangoFoxtrot
08-24-2011, 02:45
My wife felt the earthquake at home. I work 22 miles from home and didn't feel anything, but some co-workers did.

jdavionic
08-24-2011, 03:56
I think he was meaning more they were likely clogged by calls of other people calling each other to freak out.

Yes. The quake itself wasn't the issue. It was an immediate reaction to communicate that overloaded the circuits. Of course, I read DHS had a solution..."stop calling people" is what they requested.:whistling:

Point was that even a relatively minor event caused people to want to immediately get in touch with someone. 9/11 was obviously much worse from a communication perspective. So I was only pointing out that whether it's a minor or major event, don't count on your cell phone being a means for communication.

crazyasian1
08-24-2011, 04:52
Holy Chicken Little Batman, you'd think people around here haven't been in an earthquake before! Oh wait they haven't... Maybe it's just the cynical So Cali in me, but the herd mentality is strong in these ones (is that proper English?). I can understand the initial shock/fear, but jeez people take stock of the situation and react! HUNDREDS of people ran outside and stood next to the building gossiping. Now keep in mind this is a 5 story structure with floor to ceiling GLASS. I heard people talking about bombs and VBIEDs, asking if we're under attack, and standing around in shock...

Just reinforces my belief that people in groups are complete idiots.

Glock30Eric
08-24-2011, 06:06
It's not, but neither is a few inches of snow unless it's in a place where they never get it. I remember someone telling me last winter how a few inches of snow debilitated parts of the south because they weren't situated for it.

Thankfully, this quake didn't cause much damage. That being said it wouldn't necessarily take a large one by CA standards to be disastrous to the East since they don't build things to withstand them.

If you didn't see his comment. Please re-read his comment.

I am from California and I went through 89' with 8.9 quake. I don't think D.C. would survive that, and especially with NYC's tall towers...

AK_Stick
08-24-2011, 14:08

Oh it does, and its a spectacular fail on their part.

swinokur
08-24-2011, 15:05
VA will rebuild

G29Reload
08-24-2011, 16:06

Actually it is, on the east coast.

East of the rockies the geology is much older and compacted. It transmits the energy over greater distances which is why is felt as far away as Canada.

And we're less prepared,

And our buildings arent up to it.

There were a few house completely destroyed in mineral.

Dalton Wayne
08-24-2011, 16:12
VA will rebuild

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: