Any extra value to 'emergency' food? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any extra value to 'emergency' food?

J_Rico
08-23-2011, 12:43
Howdy All,

Very much a novice at prepping for man than a couple weeks of getting by. Been looking at long term food stores. 'Emergency' instant potatoes come in a can and cost over twice as much as regular instant potatoes in a carton. Are you getting anything extra out of the 'emergency' potatoes?

Thanks,
WB

rwrjr
08-23-2011, 13:05
Howdy All,

Very much a novice at prepping for man than a couple weeks of getting by. Been looking at long term food stores. 'Emergency' instant potatoes come in a can and cost over twice as much as regular instant potatoes in a carton. Are you getting anything extra out of the 'emergency' potatoes?

Thanks,
WB

Shelf life and protection from moisture, insects and rodents.

1 old 0311
08-23-2011, 13:21
Yes. They are grown from Ninja potatoes.:rofl:

wjv
08-23-2011, 13:44
Yes. They are grown from Ninja potatoes.:rofl:

Oh great. . . Posting forbidden Ninja secrets.

Now your going to have to find everyone who read this thread and kill them!

To the OP.

What rwrjr said is correct.

For potatoes and Pasta I buy them by the small sealed bags (potatoes - 2-4 person servings, Pasta - 1-2 lb bags) and store them in 5-6 gallon pails with lids. That provides much of the rodent/moisture protection.

Just buy a hand full every time it's on sale.

J_Rico
08-23-2011, 14:02
I have purchased some 5 gal tubs to store this stuff in.

Do the emergency foods have longer shelf lives due to better packaging or something inherent in the product?

wjv
08-23-2011, 15:31
I have purchased some 5 gal tubs to store this stuff in.

Do the emergency foods have longer shelf lives due to better packaging or something inherent in the product?

Potentially both
Better packages
some is also packed in nitrogen or with O2 absorbers

fourdeuce2
08-23-2011, 15:41
Just remember that TANSTAAFL applies, as always. To get that longer shelf life, they had to give up some other things, like flavor, variety and nutritional content. Yes, you can store some of those "emergency" foods for 30 years, but it might not have much nutritional value if you ate it 30 years from now.:wow:

J_Rico
08-23-2011, 17:07
Thanks guys.

csaw44
08-23-2011, 17:17
[QUOTE=wjv;17818214]Oh great. . . Posting forbidden Ninja secrets.

Now your going to have to find everyone who read this thread and kill them!
/QUOTE]

:wow: I promise I didn't read this thread :upeyes:

G29Reload
08-23-2011, 17:45
Howdy All,

Very much a novice at prepping for man than a couple weeks of getting by.
WB

A lot of us here have a years supply of food. Make it a mix...dehydrated, canned, dry stores, MRE's, etc. Rotate your stock. Eat what you store, store what you eat.

kirgi08
08-24-2011, 02:01
Start out buying small "sample" packs and make sure your family likes the product before you make a bulk purchase.Having food your family likes in times of stress will make dealing with it a lot easier.'08.

lawman800
08-26-2011, 10:55
How long can the potato last if sealed like that? Unless it's preserved to death, it's still organic, fresh produce.