Stirrup Shirt Stays [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stirrup Shirt Stays

lsmountainman
08-23-2011, 13:29
I have been using stirrup shirt stays and, surprisingly, I really like them. I am able to attach them to my shirt but if I don't put the stays on over my feet right away, they tend to pop off front he shirt material in the holder (does that make sense?). Is there any way to force the rubber nub into the end of the loop without it relaxing?

collim1
08-23-2011, 13:35
I am wearing them right now, and have been for years. I found a whole case of them for dirt cheap a few years ago from a warehouse that sells merchandise from tractor trailer wreck. It worked out to $.90 a pair!

To answer your question, no. I put them on my feet first and then attach to the shirt. They will wear in after a few weeks of use to where you can get them to slip in more securely, but they are desinged to release when the tension is taken off.

only thing about them is they wear out after about 6 months. They started getting expensive so I am glad to have found such a steal. I dont think anyone else there even knew what they were so I jumped on em and bought them all!

lsmountainman
08-23-2011, 13:38
I can see how they won't last long but I really like them. Just need to find a good deal like you did. Hmmm, winter and bad roads are on the way...

collim1
08-23-2011, 13:59
I can see how they won't last long but I really like them. Just need to find a good deal like you did. Hmmm, winter and bad roads are on the way...

Ha!

I prefer the stirrups to the ones that snap onto your socks. I was on a traffic stop and one came loose and popped me in the Johnson! No lie it hurt bad and I am sure the driver of the car I stopped thought I was insane:supergrin:

ray9898
08-23-2011, 14:26
I know several guys who just get a button sewn on in the proper spot. Instead of using the rubber thing you just put the loop over the button.

collim1
08-23-2011, 14:32
I know several guys who just get a button sewn on in the proper spot. Instead of using the rubber thing you just put the loop over the button.

Now there's a good idea.

DaBigBR
08-23-2011, 14:43

I did this. Have a button, about the size of a nickle or so, sewn on at the creases in the front and back. I had my rear ones sewn in so that the fabric was already "doubled over", which makes the shirt easier to blouse. Then you can just remove the rubber part or leave it flopping around in there.

If you don't want to spend the few bucks it will cost to buy buttons, some heavier duty backing fabric, and thread, then I would suggest using a quarter. Push the shirt material through the little metal frame on the shirt stay with the quarter, rotate the quarter 90 degrees, and you're good to go.

You'll almost never pop a shirt stay with either method.

CW Mock
08-23-2011, 21:39
I did this. Have a button, about the size of a nickle or so, sewn on at the creases in the front and back. I had my rear ones sewn in so that the fabric was already "doubled over", which makes the shirt easier to blouse. Then you can just remove the rubber part or leave it flopping around in there.

If you don't want to spend the few bucks it will cost to buy buttons, some heavier duty backing fabric, and thread, then I would suggest using a quarter. Push the shirt material through the little metal frame on the shirt stay with the quarter, rotate the quarter 90 degrees, and you're good to go.

I use the coins - nickles to be exact, and they have never come loose. For 20 cents my shirt stays tucked in. Pretty good deal for me, LOL

DaBigBR
08-24-2011, 10:07
I use the coins - nickles to be exact, and they have never come loose. For 20 cents my shirt stays tucked in. Pretty good deal for me, LOL

I've always used quarters for that extra security. I've got a whole dollar between me and an untucked dress shirt...uniforms are all buttons, though.

I lot a quarter one time, the quarter and the shirt stay just both worked their way to the edge, and I didn't notice until I got home that I was 25 cents short. After that I started putting the shirt stay higher up.

Cochese
08-24-2011, 10:12
Shirt stays are for prissy boys.

:supergrin:

DaBigBR
08-24-2011, 10:27
Shirt stays are for prissy boys.

:supergrin:

Hey, say anything you want...you know I look good.

Cochese
08-24-2011, 10:27
Absolutely beautiful. :hearts:

Kahr_Glockman
08-24-2011, 11:11
Take your man love elsewhere.

Kahr_Glockman
08-24-2011, 11:12
Both of you.:tongueout:

DaBigBR
08-24-2011, 11:40
Both of you.:tongueout:

Could have gone with this one:

:aodnsb:

Cochese
08-24-2011, 15:44
My heart will not be silenced.

Milltown
08-24-2011, 19:27
I use the rubber belt to keep my shirt nice, works pretty well and helps me keep my pants up.

lawman800
08-28-2011, 20:03
Been using the stirrup style status for more than a decade. Never had a problem and never needed to do anything other than use as directed.

GunFighter45ACP
08-29-2011, 15:06
I use a set of needlenosed pliers to tighten the holder around the nubs. Also, once you have the length/tightness of the stirrups figured out, put some electrical tape around the size adjusters. The metal will tear the hair off your legs & chew up your pants & socks, too.

boomhower
08-29-2011, 15:16
Never had a problem with mine just using them as they come out of the package. Now the kind that attach to your socks are a whole different story.

Triple7
08-29-2011, 15:24
I have no idea what the hell a stir up is....lol

My pants have a rubber ring around the waist = shirt stays tucked.

pal2511
08-29-2011, 15:55

Got a photo of this setup? I'm having a problem visualizing it