Does anyone regularly adjust their buttstock... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone regularly adjust their buttstock...

Henry's Dad
08-23-2011, 17:21
...or do you generally keep it the same length?

I ask because I'm building my first (but not the first I've owned). In my experience, I've never changed the length for shooting purposes. There's one length that seems to work for me, to the adjustable feature seems to be just one more thing that might break.

So I'm wondering if others regularly adjust their adjustable buttstock when shooting, or do you find it to be a feature that you really don't use? Do you just set it and forget it, a la the Ron Popeil infomercial?

Would you be just as happy with a fixed-length stock if you found one that was the right length for you?

I'm leaning toward a fixed-length skeletonized (ACE or similar) but wanted to see if I'm missing some great advantage of the adjustable stock that I'm not aware of.

Thanks.

faawrenchbndr
08-23-2011, 17:39
I have a MagPul UBR,.....depending on if I am using my Aimpoint or scope
I adjust the stock. Also, when shooting in winter weather, I adjust as well

surf
08-23-2011, 18:23
Different adjustments if I am wearing body armor. Fully collapsed when in the rifle bag.

PlasticGuy
08-23-2011, 18:23
I adjust it down a notch when I'm wearing body armor or a tactical vest with my issued M4, or down a couple notches on my personal AR15 for my wife.

Gunnut 45/454
08-23-2011, 19:12
Yep the only way the wife can shot the AR full in anything else is to long! For me it depends on what I'm doing with it.:supergrin:

freedom790
08-23-2011, 19:32
I adjust one notch in from longest when wearing armor. All the way in while in hmmwv, MRAP, cougar, etc. Its worth it in my opinion.

MajorD
08-23-2011, 19:34
tele stock as mentioned above is nice to adjust based on the use of armor, when storing or carrying in tight quarters, when wearing very heavy winter clothing in winter, and also when teaching women or juniors to shoot when the full length stock is too long. One of the thing that sucks about NY- our assault weapons ban prohibits tele stocks on new post ban builds

gunsmoke92
08-23-2011, 19:48
If I'm just plinking, I'll leave it longer. I practice drills for home defense and in those situations, I shorten it up to reduce it's profile and keep it tucked up close in case I should encounter a BG. In my opinion, a fixed stock is fine for a hunting rifle, but for anything that requires the use of tactics for defense, I'd go with a collapsible.

K. Foster
08-23-2011, 20:01
I adjust mine depending on what I’m wearing. T shirt, jacket, armor. I like my stocks short so an A2 or even an A1 would be too long for me.

samuse
08-23-2011, 21:58
Sometimes I pull it out a click if I'm shooting prone.

CAcop
08-23-2011, 22:57
Different clothing and body armor for shooting it. The racks in our cars are all over the place in terms of height so there is no way a fixed stock is going to work.

Also if I am going to be shooting from the prone (on a perimeter) I will extend it. If I am going to go into a house with it I colapse it (for length and sighting issues).

AK_Stick
08-23-2011, 23:18
I change mine quite a bit, depending if I'm wearing armor, or if I've got my flight vest on, in a truck, out in a field etc.

MrMurphy
08-24-2011, 02:44
Collapsed for transport or in armor or heavy field gear.

One click out in a t-shirt.

All the way open or almost when prone if I have time.

Camu Mahubah
08-24-2011, 03:34
I don't adjust mine but my brother cain't stand the way I have it and he moves it to the farthest position. So does my shooting bud but he's a pretty big dude. My shooting bud shoots my AR better than I do and I zeroed it. My lil bro...well he needs to keep shooting or zero it himself.

I sure wouldn't mind an A2 Rifle stock sometimes though. Just put your cheek where you want it. If it is a target range gun only...

DieselNut
08-24-2011, 08:32
I have an Ace Hammer stock and I collapse it when I store it.

Nolashooter
08-24-2011, 11:57
I am no LE or Military person but I find myself moving it back and forth depending on iron sights, red dot, standing position or laying on the ground. If nothing else I went for a smaller rifle case and it needs to be fully collapsed in order to fit in the case. I also have a buddy who shoots mine at the range every once in a while and he moves it around. I definitely wanted one because I will eventually be teaching my son to shoot and he will need it fully collapsed.
There are so many options that I am sure you could find one to suit your needs.

BEER
08-25-2011, 11:53
i change mine regularly depending on different things. heavier winter clothing, the aimpoint or the irons, when it's the night time house gun, when it's the ranch gun.

it's adjustable so i figure i might as well utilize that ability.

vafish
08-25-2011, 16:43
I usually leave it all the way out when shooting. Could live just fine with a fixed stock for myself. But, my 12 year old daughter likes to shoot it so its nice to drop it down a couple notches for her.

boomhower
08-26-2011, 06:41
All the way in with my vest on, one notch out with no vest. Set it and forget it pretty much.