Want to add a single point sling to my Mossberg. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Want to add a single point sling to my Mossberg.

gunsnhoses
08-23-2011, 17:32
I want to add a single point sling to my Mossberg 500A. Mind you, I bought this gun used for $200 so I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I was thinking I just needed some type of sling plate between the buttstock and reciever than I could use my Magpul MS2.

What suggestions do you all have? Any other simple ways to do this?

Bullman
08-23-2011, 18:08
I am a fan of the single point sling, but it doesn't work particularly well with the mossberg, at least not for me. I put a sling plate on mine and I found that when I was shooting weak hand barricade the sling plate got in the way with a regular stock. Now if you are shooting a pistol gripped stock ( which makes it difficult to manipulate the safety) the sling plate doesn't get in the way.

mixflip
08-23-2011, 18:16
I like my nuts too much to abuse them with a shotgun flailing and bouncing around on a single point sling.

Bullman
08-23-2011, 19:27
This is the GG&G end plate I used to have, you can barely see the top of it. Now they make some that are just a loop at the top where you can attach an H&K style hook, which might be better. Getting your left hand around the plate to work the controls was not pleasant though this way.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/dabullmanp9/ghostring.jpg

Big Bird
08-23-2011, 20:03
A good three point sling will do everything a single point will do and more. But the biggest thing it does is keep it from banging around.

I like my Spectergear CGB three point sling on my Benelli M2 and Remington 870. Easy to use, versatile and quick and superior retention over a single point.

gunsnhoses
08-23-2011, 20:55
A good three point sling will do everything a single point will do and more. But the biggest thing it does is keep it from banging around.

I like my Spectergear CGB three point sling on my Benelli M2 and Remington 870. Easy to use, versatile and quick and superior retention over a single point.

Ya, I know what you mean, but I use the Magpul single to double point sling for my AR's and like the ability to use single point when shooting and moving and then transitioning to 2-point while carrying and walking around.

I was just wanting a simple single point for retention while shooting.

Bullman
08-23-2011, 21:10
Ya, I know what you mean, but I use the Magpul single to double point sling for my AR's and like the ability to use single point when shooting and moving and then transitioning to 2-point while carrying and walking around.

I was just wanting a simple single point for retention while shooting.

I have one like this sort of on my Mossberg now, mine is a quick adjust Rocky Mountain Tactical sling and I just use it as a two point, but it has the ability to be a single point and hang of the heel of the pistol grip, it just hangs a little lower there than I like it to.

MrMurphy
08-24-2011, 15:29
A 2pt quick adjust will do everything a 3pt will without the extra crap in the way.

The 3pt is a dead design.

After nearly causing a simulated casualty to become a real one with an M4 on a single-point sling, i have very little use for dedicated 1 pt slings. The MS2 is different.

crazyasian1
08-25-2011, 06:52
I like my nuts too much to abuse them with a shotgun flailing and bouncing around on a single point sling.

That's nice, but the thread title is "Want to add a single point sling to my Mossberg" not "Who likes their nuts too much to abuse them with a shotgun flailing and bouncing around on a single point sling"...:upeyes:

Now back on topic. Having zero experience with slings on shotguns, I'd like to explore this option myself. I have a Knoxx SpecOps pistol grip and wonder if it would be better to get a sling point for the bottom of the stock or just thread it through the stock.

Bill Lumberg
08-25-2011, 08:48
For shorter barreled rifles and shotguns, single points work great. We use CQB/Specter gear. I recently switched to a condor, which is just a little bit nicer version. Again, for a looong barrel, I'm not sure I'd want a single point. For short barreled rifles and shotguns, I want nothing else. When you transition properly, the weapon moves easily behind the shoulder or back, and stays there until you reach for it. The only time it's a pain is moving/crawling prone. Running walking, it works great.

MrMurphy
08-25-2011, 13:24
That's nice, but the thread title is "Want to add a single point sling to my Mossberg" not "Who likes their nuts too much to abuse them with a shotgun flailing and bouncing around on a single point sling"...:upeyes:

Now back on topic. Having zero experience with slings on shotguns, I'd like to explore this option myself. I have a Knoxx SpecOps pistol grip and wonder if it would be better to get a sling point for the bottom of the stock or just thread it through the stock.

It's still relevant to the topic.

And Condor gear is airsoft.

Value your life? Run the hell away. CQB/Specter builds a solid product.

vafish
08-25-2011, 14:03
Buy a foot of 1" web and a couple of keepers. Cut web into two pieces. Put one tight around the stock just behind the pistol grip with the other piece in a loop under it. Clip your single point sling into the loop. Loop can also be made out of para cord.

Stays out of your way and won't bother your left hand when you transition to weak side.

Here is one from blackhawk with a ring on it.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-single-point-sling-adapter-70sa00bk.html

Bullman
08-25-2011, 22:26
I might have to look into that, it would be better than hanging it off the heel of the pistol grip. Of course, I am sorta getting used to running it as a two point anyway. A heavy shotgun doesn't hang the same as a patrol rifle does.

gunsnhoses
08-25-2011, 23:28
Buy a foot of 1" web and a couple of keepers. Cut web into two pieces. Put one tight around the stock just behind the pistol grip with the other piece in a loop under it. Clip your single point sling into the loop. Loop can also be made out of para cord.

Stays out of your way and won't bother your left hand when you transition to weak side.

Here is one from blackhawk with a ring on it.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-single-point-sling-adapter-70sa00bk.html

That's sounds great, but I'm not running a pistol grip. Just standard stock.

MrMurphy
08-26-2011, 02:49
A heavy shotgun hangs better than an 11.5lb M-4 carbine with an M203, 3 kinds of sights, a laser and a light on it....

Single points still suck for most applications.

Bullman
08-26-2011, 05:29
Yeah, but my patrol rifle is a simple on, no 203, no sights, just a rifle and irons. Now I would like a flat top with a red dot, but that will be sometime down the road.

hikerpaddler
08-26-2011, 07:06
Incorrect. Condor makes everything from airsoft to items that badged at for retail as condor, 5.11, Blackhawk, and others. For those that know what they're looking at and can buy direct from condor, they have excellent gear. As noted by others, single points agre gear for operators with shorties/pistolgrip stocks, not so much for more traditional long gun configurations. It's still relevant to the topic.

And Condor gear is airsoft.

Value your life? Run the hell away. CQB/Specter builds a solid product.

Bill Lumberg
08-26-2011, 08:16
True. Agencies can purchase direct from condor. In my department, you can find the same rifle bag or pack, exact same item, one with the patch of a high profile tac gear company sewn on, another with no badging whatsoever inside or out, and a third with a "condor" tag, depending upon when and where the guys gear was purchased. They sell everything from top of the line to bargain bin stuff.

SCSU74
08-26-2011, 09:22
I want to add a single point sling to my Mossberg 500A. Mind you, I bought this gun used for $200 so I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I was thinking I just needed some type of sling plate between the buttstock and reciever than I could use my Magpul MS2.

What suggestions do you all have? Any other simple ways to do this?

i use a midwest industries single point mount. It is extremely easy to install (remove stock, place the adaptor, replace stock and tighten down). i use a blackhawk bungee sling and haven't had any problems. I run this set-up on an 870, but i'm sure it will work equally well on a mossberg. Have you had any problems with the MS2? I heard the clamp used for the 2 point connection comes unhooked very easy when in single point?

MrMurphy
08-26-2011, 13:53
As far as I'm concerned, Condor=airsoft.

5.11 quality isn't far ahead.

And Blackhawk has far too many QC issues in large lot buys for me to be happy with, but the stuff does work.

Ryobi
08-26-2011, 14:19
Condor makes some cheap gear for bottom feeders. It makes full on gear as well. If you don't have enough experience or knowledge to tell the difference between the two, condor probably isn't for you. Nor is nike, north face, or most other manufacturers. +1 Lumberg.

MrMurphy
08-27-2011, 03:12
Never seen any of their 'full on' gear, i've just seen the wash it and it disintegrates stuff.

As all my personal gear is HSGI, TT, Eagle, and other known brands, i don't really need to figure out if it's their cheapo crap or somewhat-maybe-kinda-possibly legit stuff. I'll stick to known quantities.

Bill Lumberg
08-27-2011, 07:27
Then you havent seen very much Murph. I understand what you're saying, you're just obviously not knowledgeable about their line as a whole. That doesn't mean you're wrong about the gear you've directly experienced, but it does show that you have limited experience with their equipment. Condor makes good equipment, and that will be true as long as they remain a primary manufacturer for a variety of items that are sold unbadged and resold by high end tac gear companies under their label. Back to your regularly scheduled single-point-sling conversation. OP- specter, midwest, or condor- all three rock for a sling choice. I think my sling plates are midwest, but i'm not sure. Good luck and good health to you whatever you choose.

vafish
08-27-2011, 15:08
That's sounds great, but I'm not running a pistol grip. Just standard stock.

Standard stocks still have a bit of a pistol grip on them.

I'll have to make one up and show you a picture.

Attach like this:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/utf-8BSU1BRzA0MjQuanBn.jpg

Get the portion around the stock nice and tight. It won't get in your way like the metal plates do when you swap sides.

Bullman
08-28-2011, 13:17
Mine works sort of like that but attaches to the rear swivel which is on the heel of the grip. it works like this. Don't mind the unflattering pic of my gut.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/dabullmanp9/100_0182.jpg

The Rocky Mountain tactical sling really works best as a quick adjust 2 point, so I can run my shotgun either way with this set up.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/dabullmanp9/100_0183.jpg

Sling at two point view

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/dabullmanp9/100_0184.jpg

Look on this site for the Summit tactical sling, Marshall is a really cool guy to deal with and I love this sling.

https://www.rockymountaintactical.net/?page=shop/details&product_id=1&

vafish
09-13-2011, 19:32
Just found this one while looking for something else at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=570833

Replaces the trigger pin.

Strap model:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=912927