Prepping for work outdoors [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for work outdoors

Kevin108
08-23-2011, 22:10
I'm a carpenter for a local municipality. I work with 5 other carpenters, 3 electricians, a painter, a couple plumbers and a couple HVAC guys. We work on a variety of city-owned buildings from city hall and the emergency services buildings to the rec centers and parks.

Every few weeks I get a pager to babysit for emergencies such as vandalism, plumbing, electrical or HVAC issues, or securing a building after a break in. As I also live in the city I work in, I'm occasionally called to handle things outside of the on call period since I'm here in town anyway.

I have a basic first-aid kit with pain relievers, antihistamines, eye drops, bandages, tape, super glue, rubber gloves, tweezers, nail clippers, scissors, and a sewing kit. My work van is also stocked with soap, clean water, waterless hand sanitizer, rope/string and lots of rags. I keep work gloves, safety glasses and fire extinguishers as well.

Often I'm called to deal with things alone and frequently at odd hours. I've had to respond to issues after Hurricane Isabel and during a northeaster at the end of 09, among other storms. The potential upcoming weather has me trying to think forward a bit.

I've been in this trade for a dozen years and I've been fortunate to have never sustained or had to care for any major injuries. Most of my injuries are cuts which get either electrical tape over a paper towel or super glue but anything can happen to guys that get into all the things I do.

Can you guys think of anything else I should be outfitted with?

TangoFoxtrot
08-24-2011, 02:50
A .45 ACP and two extra mags!

jdavionic
08-24-2011, 04:05
In the first aid kit, you may want to add some QuickClot pads. They're not that expensive and just a couple would be helpful.

I'm assuming you carry a firearm and some additional mag(s). Right?

You may want to carry some FoxLabs pepper spray. It offers some good options - e.g., a non-lethal deterrant against an aggressor that hasn't reached the point of creating a situation where a firearm would be justified, a dog that is getting too close, etc.

My BIL does all sorts of maintenance to his rentals in area that is not so good. Yea, a slum lord of sorts. He has started wearing a bulletproof vest. Not sure it's that bad where you are though.

R_W
08-24-2011, 13:17
Eye WASH, N95 masks, goggles (dust proof), big bottle of betadine, shock blanket (HD space blanket), trash bags, chemlights, spare LED flashlights and batts.

You do need to be careful if you are a city employee, many are very strict about you not performing past your official training or duties. Apply pressure and wait for EMS.

Kevin108
08-25-2011, 21:43
I won't talk about guns at work. OC spray is part of my EDC. The city has its areas of blight but for the most part our buildings are nowhere scary and we've never had any problems.

Eye wash would make a great addition. I carry large drum liners already. I have a quality respirator rated for asbestos abatement but I don't know any specifics.

I carry a Maglite Solitaire in my pocket all the time along with my Droid X with flashlight app. In the van is a 3 D-Cell Maglite and typically I also have at least two Mini Maglites nearby as well as a Maglite XL50. We also got issued a 2 D-cell generic flashlight today as part of preparation for our storm response.

We have an impeccable safety record and as such, we are very free to prepare for ourselves as we see fit. The benefit of being at the top of your game is that nobody fools with you. Of course, this only applies to our department. The rest of the city is all the regular nonsense.

Big Bird
08-25-2011, 21:54
I carry a Petzl e-lite with me everywhere. I started using headlamps when I went duckhunting and they are pretty much my go-to light for most purposes.

The e-lite is a great, small, light headlamp with a ton of utility...not quite as good as a full feature light...but not bad...

http://www.petzl.com/en/pro/headlamps/emergency-and-signal-lighting

Kevin108
08-26-2011, 05:45
I've not shopped for this but I would assume there's a headband that accepts 1" tac lights off to one side. I was thinking that would be a great accessory for my XL50.